80​
-​
-​
78​
-​
Sorrento​
Cups WR​

Last edited:
First time playing golf down here, weather looks good for the rest of the week so thought i would try and play some of the tougher tracks later in the week.

Tough tracks don't bother me, just prefer it not to be unplayable if it is a strong wind tomorrow
St Andrews is the pick of the peninsula courses in my opinion. If the wind is up don't worry too much about your score just enjoy the battle with the elements!

115 at Portsea today. First time ever playing a full 18 holes, really happy with the score, did all that without a driver but starting to get more confident with the 3 wood building up to it. Absolutely knackered by the end pushing the buggy around those hills and it was very windy which made it tough.

All parts of the game had their moments. Score was lost mostly on too many 3 putts, and 3 separate putts that lipped out on different holes. Managed to avoid bunkers except for the second last hole, pretty happy with that. Did lose a few shots because I had to take a penalty and hit a second tee shot as I sliced a few into some of the bushland that was no chance of being found.

I've never played a course with so much height and slope variance, I found it really challenging hitting up to or down onto greens so club selection was a battle all day.

If I take today's form back to my regular public locals I shoot under 100 easily I reckon.
Don't worry about your score relative to par on the peninsula too much. Links style golf is excellent for the development of your game and you'll be a better golfer because of it.

115 at Portsea today. First time ever playing a full 18 holes, really happy with the score, did all that without a driver but starting to get more confident with the 3 wood building up to it. Absolutely knackered by the end pushing the buggy around those hills and it was very windy which made it tough.

All parts of the game had their moments. Score was lost mostly on too many 3 putts, and 3 separate putts that lipped out on different holes. Managed to avoid bunkers except for the second last hole, pretty happy with that. Did lose a few shots because I had to take a penalty and hit a second tee shot as I sliced a few into some of the bushland that was no chance of being found.

I've never played a course with so much height and slope variance, I found it really challenging hitting up to or down onto greens so club selection was a battle all day.

If I take today's form back to my regular public locals I shoot under 100 easily I reckon.
Portsea greens, so much fun to be had 😁

Quick knock around Embleton this arvo. Real shame seeing them bring forward the first tee because of local Karens complaining. Lovely little course. I have a feeling it’s days are numbered sadly.

Portsea greens, so much fun to be had 😁
I was flying 6 feet past the hole haha. I'm not sure if they are considered fast, but they were a lot faster than what I'm used to. They never seemed to break in my favour either.

To be fair, that actually wasn't the hardest part for me, it was playing the vertical and horizontal slope of the course, hitting up or down, or hitting off an incline or declined lie.

Don't worry about your score relative to par on the peninsula too much. Links style golf is excellent for the development of your game and you'll be a better golfer because of it.
What does it mean when people say Links style golf? But I definitely will have improved my game. As mentioned, if I take this form back from a challenging course to my usual public metros, adjusted for difficulty I'd put in my best ever scores I reckon.

What does it mean when people say Links style golf? But I definitely will have improved my game. As mentioned, if I take this form back from a challenging course to my usual public metros, adjusted for difficulty I'd put in my best ever scores I reckon.

Links golf generally means undulating fairways and greens, firm playing conditions and an exposure to wind due to the proximity to the coast and lack of protection from trees.

I was flying 6 feet past the hole haha. I'm not sure if they are considered fast, but they were a lot faster than what I'm used to. They never seemed to break in my favour either.

To be fair, that actually wasn't the hardest part for me, it was playing the vertical and horizontal slope of the course, hitting up or down, or hitting off an incline or declined lie.

What PaddyMcClunkin said. Links golf is most often treeless courses, exposed to the wind that often have undulating greens and fairways. More often than not there's more than one way to the hole, you just have to see it. Links golf very often, due to wind, takes away the 'hit at the middle of the fairway, hit straight at the flag' aspect of golf because the wind will likely push a 'straight' ball away from the middle of the fairway and often due to the slope on the greens aiming at the flag isn't the best idea. Links golf will test all of your shot making skill as well as your intellect around the course. I think it was Royal Liverpool years ago in The Open where Tiger didn't hit driver in 4 rounds as his first thought on each hole was 'avoid the bunkers', which he did, and he won. In links golf it is far more impressive to hit a 3 iron 150m low and along the ground than hitting a 7 iron in calm conditions 150m straight at the hole.

As Paddy said, links golf provides a study into the game and your abilities. Think of it like a classroom, and youre the student.

As Bicco said, more than one way to the hole.

To combine what Paddy and Bicco said (let's call it Paddy McBicco), hit different shots and play to the conditions. A bump and run is an effective method to transport the ball to the putting surface rather than hitting high wind affected shots.

As Paddy said, links golf provides a study into the game and your abilities. Think of it like a classroom, and youre the student.

To combine what Paddy and Bicco said (let's call it Paddy McBicco), hit different shots and play to the conditions. A bump and run is an effective method to transport the ball to the putting surface rather than hitting high wind affected shots.
IMO one of the real beefits of being a course member is that you don't feel like you need to get 'value for money' every round. I've had practice rounds where every shot is a stinger, trying to keep everything low. Every pitch is a bump and run/or a flop shot. Membership gives you the freedom to practice on the course as much as you want. Trying to hit a 10m fade off of the tee on every tee shot is great fun.

IMO one of the real beefits of being a course member is that you don't feel like you need to get 'value for money' every round. I've had practice rounds where every shot is a stinger, trying to keep everything low. Every pitch is a bump and run/or a flop shot. Membership gives you the freedom to practice on the course as much as you want. Trying to hit a 10m fade off of the tee on every tee shot is great fun.
I agree with this, I've played many times where I've hit the ball so bad that i wasn't enjoying it. Rather than torturing myself for 18 holes, i don't care if i walk off after 9. Most of the time i will play ok the next time anyway

If i was a green fee player i would probably push through and play 18 but would probably be liking golf a lot less

I agree with this, I've played many times where I've hit the ball so bad that i wasn't enjoying it. Rather than torturing myself for 18 holes, i don't care if i walk off after 9. Most of the time i will play ok the next time anyway

If i was a green fee player i would probably push through and play 18 but would probably be liking golf a lot less
Have walked off in club champs before. Well not a literal walk off. Self DQ and played out the round without any care.

95 at Portsea today. Made a mess of the first 5 holes. 44 on the back nine.

Greens were quick but didn't think they were too bad.

3 and half rounds in the last 4 days on non flat courses so starting to stiffen up now. Might have to cart it tomorrow

I love 18 holes. The amount of times I have had a crap first 9 and gone well on the back nine would be big. I play with my bro and he always said 14 holes is perfect. Typical accountant...gets fatigued and wants the game changed to suit him. I love it..I know I am always in it and can catch him on those last 4 when he mentally crumbles.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

3 and half rounds in the last 4 days on non flat courses so starting to stiffen up now. Might have to cart it tomorrow

Stretch and stretch and stretch. If you’re tight you may find carting won’t help.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I played the 18 at Portsea on Monday. Pretty brutal, my push buggy ain't light up those hills. Knees and ankles are still feeling it today.

When I played at Mt Lawley the other week, the three guys I were playing with were part of the day’s stableford comp. Two of them were playing so bad they eventually walked off the course halfway through the round and just went home.

Do you think some people might have a flattering handicap because they tend to do this at member clubs?

I’m really keen to play proper links golf someday. Closest I’ve got is Seaview public in Cottesloe.

To be honest the idea of no trees kinda sounds appealing...

I’m really keen to play proper links golf someday. Closest I’ve got is Seaview public in Cottesloe.

seek DD! im sure there's a few in WA you can play on?

No trees remember means no shelter. And no shelter = wind exposure. yay!

No trees is substituted by zero flat lies,
4 club greens or 1/2 club greens
Mystical sand pits in landing zones off tee

Seaview is a cute links course. Is Port Kennedy still a course? I think one of the Mandurah courses is pretty much links.

Would love to one day play the classic links courses in the UK. County Down, The Old Course, Portrush, Dornoch, Muirfield, Ballybunion. Golfing heaven.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back