80​
-​
-​
78​
-​
Sorrento​
Cups WR​

Last edited:
Well playing St Andrews Friday morning and was suppose to be Cape Schank in the arvo. But mate found a fourth and has decided that we will go a play the National old course. The fourth current Aussie European / PGA tour pro top 100. I'm that pumped.
bring lots of balls ;) nah youll be right mate.

Jun 7, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur
At the national today. God its great to be home.

Windy af. Just normal really haha.
Surprised it was that windy as there was only a slight breeze at Moonah Links

Ended up carting my way around both courses. Drove it great, irons poor to average, putted horribly

Feb 23, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
New York Jets
119 at Eagle Ridge today, it was hot through the middle of the day and I am burnt to a crisp. Fatigue really set in and I'm still sore from the 18 at Portsea.

Struggled a bit today as I just found too many bunkers, some of the holes are actually quite narrow and extremely well bunkered. There's one hole there think it was the 6th thats basically just one giant bunker down the middle.

Still though, an average of 60/9 isn't much worse than I've played on far easier courses. Keen to see how the last two rounds have developed my game. Biggest problem today was I had the putting yips. 3-5 footers I'd usually make I was tentative and stiffened up and missed a few. As is always the case I found my swing at the end of the round, hit a lovely bump and run from just beyond the fringe of the green in on the 17th and struck my drive of the day on the 18th about 250 straight down the middle.

Nice course though, was in very good condition. Better than my usual cheapo metro publics.

Lebbo73

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 20, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Liverpool
I love 18 holes. The amount of times I have had a crap first 9 and gone well on the back nine would be big. I play with my bro and he always said 14 holes is perfect. Typical accountant...gets fatigued and wants the game changed to suit him. I love it..I know I am always in it and can catch him on those last 4 when he mentally crumbles.
In late 2004 to mid 2005 I would have had a handicap of 2 or 3 if golf was a 14 hole game. 🙄

Dhoni Dakurri

Cancelled
Oct 18, 2016
AFL Club
West Coast
Another lesson today with the local pro at Hillview. Has been great so far. Literally started again and went back to basics: set up, grip, stance, learning about the golf swing in simple terms and changing the whole way I think about hitting the ball, or in this case - not thinking about hitting the ball. Playing the best golf I’ve ever played at the moment.

Last edited:

Lebbo73

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 20, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Liverpool
I had my first game in 3 weeks on Tuesday and had 32pts. Washed the last as I was running late to pick up my daughters from school. Social stay and play groups in front holding us up was the problem.
All the same, only two games in 5 weeks has actually helped my golf. I’m thinking about my swing plane and hit some nice drives. Usually I only average about 220m with the big dog. On Tuesday I hit a couple of draws and the drives went 250m and 270m. That was until I started trying to hit it too hard.

Feb 23, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
New York Jets
I had my first game in 3 weeks on Tuesday and had 32pts. Washed the last as I was running late to pick up my daughters from school. Social stay and play groups in front holding us up was the problem.
All the same, only two games in 5 weeks has actually helped my golf. I’m thinking about my swing plane and hit some nice drives. Usually I only average about 220m with the big dog. On Tuesday I hit a couple of draws and the drives went 250m and 270m. That was until I started trying to hit it too hard.
Something I've noticed and am still working on is my best strikes are actually coming when I consciously slow my swing down. As soon as I try and belt the ball I lose shape and make poor contact, but mentally it's so hard to build a pattern of swinging smoothly and slowly and not rushing if you want distance. Instinct in my brain is saying if you want to hit something hard and far then you swing at it fast and hard, but that doesn't always ring true in the golf swing.

Something I've noticed and am still working on is my best strikes are actually coming when I consciously slow my swing down. As soon as I try and belt the ball I lose shape and make poor contact, but mentally it's so hard to build a pattern of swinging smoothly and slowly and not rushing if you want distance. Instinct in my brain is saying if you want to hit something hard and far then you swing at it fast and hard, but that doesn't always ring true in the golf swing.
Its a good observation
It'll come together for you

If you want extra distance go up an iron

Mar 8, 2002
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
LA Angels
IMO one of the real beefits of being a course member is that you don't feel like you need to get 'value for money' every round.
Get 100% what you're saying but perversely in places like the Melbourne Sandbelt where the annual subs are circa $5.5k the majority are driven to play as many rounds as they can so the numbers stack up. Not easy if you work during the week.

Would love to one day play the classic links courses in the UK. County Down, The Old Course, Portrush, Dornoch, Muirfield, Ballybunion. Golfing heaven.
It is genuinely awesome. I did the tour of duty in 2004 in England and Scotland.

Played a level of course just down from the A-list set you mentioned given my budget at the time but the quality is so good over there it hardly makes a difference. I did play Dornoch however which is surely as good as golf gets.

iDon

Find me on the Golf Board
Jan 30, 2006
AFL Club
Essendon
Advice for 36 holes?

Tee off St Andrews 640. With Cart.

Just after 1230 I think Old Course. No cart.

Imagine first round with carts and being first off or so would be 3 ish hours. Only two there playing. Maybe a few hours break

Advice for 36 holes?

Tee off St Andrews 640. With Cart.

Just after 1230 I think Old Course. No cart.

Imagine first round with carts and being first off or so would be 3 ish hours. Only two there playing. Maybe a few hours break

I always walk, hate carting. Assume you havent played the old before....the first 4 holes are a bitch, but after that the walk is fine.

Cant recall 100% either if carts are permitted at Nash if you are not impaired or over a particular age.

So that being said, cart at SAB!!!

Haha nah no chance we were carting the Old Course. I want to experience it all . Been froffing the Instagram the last few days. Not sure I'll be able to sleep tonight.
Yeah definitely walk the old course IMHO. You want the experience, one that ive suffered on many occasions.

PaddyMcClunkin

All Australian
May 31, 2016
AFL Club
St Kilda
Yeah definitely walk the old course IMHO. You want the experience, one that ive suffered on many occasions.
The 3rd does me in every time. Not a fan of the 8th at all (Except for the view from the tee of course). Very strong set of par 3's in my opinion.

The 3rd does me in every time. Not a fan of the 8th at all (Except for the view from the tee of course). Very strong set of par 3's in my opinion.
3rd. If you can get your drive as close to the left side off the tee, its a short hole. "short"
8th. A "simple" hole of sorts. Hitting 2 landing spots. yeah easy! hahaha

Jun 7, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur
St Andrews Beach today. Best course I've played down here. Easy to keep it on the fairway. Wouldn't even say it is that difficult to get it on the green on most holes, but if you do miss you will get punished.

Played from the blue tees. Not sure about 457m par 4 13th. Think it would be better off as a short par 5

Back