80​
-​
-​
78​
-​
Sorrento​
Cups WR​

Last edited:
Played that Mt.Xavier again today, just a practice round but Geez I’m absolutely stuffed again, and about 15 balls lighter!
Geez it’s tough track.

42 at Hillview Heritage after work - equal to my personal best round that I set last weekend. Last week was all about making some birdies in amongst some rubbish holes but today was a different - I scrambled well from under the trees a few times with my hybrid and putted consistently and didn’t make any doubles, only pars and bogeys.

Funny how in golf there are different ways of getting there.

My tide is out. Good putting held me together Saturday but nothing today. I've got a few shots in my armoury but today it was no defence. No really bad shots, but no really good ones either. Need an excuse to hit the range and this is it. Pound 8 irons for an hour and get it back. It's up to me alone. God I love golf!

St Andrews - first off in the morning. First too drives bang into the left and reloads. Total wipe. Front 9 some of the worst holes I've played but was an unreal challenge. Have some issues with my driver and so 4 iron was the go to for a while but the breeze crept up and just had to give the driver a whack. Back 9 was much better and had 26 point overall.

Highlights included the previous mentioned par 4 hole, 4 iron into breeze, headwind, left me with 300 still into the hole. Par 5 17th had the breeze behind me and left 120m into the flag. (had 6 from here 😂)

Old Course next up. Our fourth was late, but as I would find out, no one wants to play the old course and we delayed the tee time. It was Lucas Herbet and he gave himself +6 off the black tees 😂. I was paired with him in some sort of skins game which included GIR, birdie bonus, closest to pin and normal Stableford points.

The golf was great fun, only lost 1 ball, had 32 points and had 3 pars. Pretty stoked for a 18 handicapper. The beauty was didn't need the driver and my irons off the tee hit all but 1 fairway. It was what happens after that which is frustrating. Couldn't find a hole I didn't like, landed on the green for the signature hole. Herbet and my mate were all about much easier second or third time with local knowledge and where to come in from. Such a brutal course but was great fun.

Herbet was unbelievable though. Yardage everything, told us what he wanted to do with each shot executed it pretty well. Didn't know he misshit them until he told us. Highlight was watching him hit driver off the deck to about 2m short on the large par 5. Also has a 3 yard dispersion of his max club distance that he is happy with. Talked about the US open and how crazy it was, but surprisingly not a lot of golf chat. He did say his favourite course worldwide is the National Old Course, how about that ey.

Doubt I'll get to play ever again with a current top 100 ranked player. And it also makes me see how terrible I am haha but when I hit a good shot, one must savour it.

Options this Sunday (weather dependant) include Brighton, Burnley, Sandringham, Cheltehnham, Tirhatuan Lakes, Churchill-Waverley (Endeavour Hills course)
If it were me my options would be either Sandringham or Cheltenham.

Even if I lived next door to the likes of Burnley or Brighton...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

St Andrews - first off in the morning. First too drives bang into the left and reloads. Total wipe. Front 9 some of the worst holes I've played but was an unreal challenge. Have some issues with my driver and so 4 iron was the go to for a while but the breeze crept up and just had to give the driver a whack. Back 9 was much better and had 26 point overall.

Highlights included the previous mentioned par 4 hole, 4 iron into breeze, headwind, left me with 300 still into the hole. Par 5 17th had the breeze behind me and left 120m into the flag. (had 6 from here 😂)

Old Course next up. Our fourth was late, but as I would find out, no one wants to play the old course and we delayed the tee time. It was Lucas Herbet and he gave himself +6 off the black tees 😂. I was paired with him in some sort of skins game which included GIR, birdie bonus, closest to pin and normal Stableford points.

The golf was great fun, only lost 1 ball, had 32 points and had 3 pars. Pretty stoked for a 18 handicapper. The beauty was didn't need the driver and my irons off the tee hit all but 1 fairway. It was what happens after that which is frustrating. Couldn't find a hole I didn't like, landed on the green for the signature hole. Herbet and my mate were all about much easier second or third time with local knowledge and where to come in from. Such a brutal course but was great fun.

Herbet was unbelievable though. Yardage everything, told us what he wanted to do with each shot executed it pretty well. Didn't know he misshit them until he told us. Highlight was watching him hit driver off the deck to about 2m short on the large par 5. Also has a 3 yard dispersion of his max club distance that he is happy with. Talked about the US open and how crazy it was, but surprisingly not a lot of golf chat. He did say his favourite course worldwide is the National Old Course, how about that ey.

Doubt I'll get to play ever again with a current top 100 ranked player. And it also makes me see how terrible I am haha but when I hit a good shot, one must savour it.
Sounded like a great experience. Did you play the blacks too?

My tide is out. Good putting held me together Saturday but nothing today. I've got a few shots in my armoury but today it was no defence. No really bad shots, but no really good ones either. Need an excuse to hit the range and this is it. Pound 8 irons for an hour and get it back. It's up to me alone. God I love golf!

I like that tidal analogy. Golf is exactly like that for me. But at least with lessons the time between and height difference of the 'tides' seems to be decreasing.

I hit a couple from there. Did out drive him iron against iron on one. But he might have hit a 5 against my 4 👀😂 or more likely was just going for positional
No need to delve into the technicalities.

Nice still day for it?

Think he had 3 birdies.

His green reads and speed phenomenonal. Nothing left larger then 5 feet I reckon which wasn't an issue. But his approaches were giving him looks within max 20 feet
I played with a +2 marker around St Andrews.
Was bloody awesome to play with,against and watch.
Certainly made me think about each shot, something I rarely do

Anyone ever been in the position where your scores aren't improving but you feel like you are getting better as a player and its not far away from clicking and breaking a new best?

pretty much my life.

I’ll now have half a game where I look like I’ll break 100, but then fall apart. Rather than just play bad.

take 2 out of my last three games. One of them after 9 holes I have 9 points. Then I have 19 on the back.

then the weekend just gone I have 17 on the front 9. Finish with 25.

before I’d be scoring 21-24 but with an even split.

pretty much my life.

I’ll now have half a game where I look like I’ll break 100, but then fall apart. Rather than just play bad.

take 2 out of my last three games. One of them after 9 holes I have 9 points. Then I have 19 on the back.

then the weekend just gone I have 17 on the front 9. Finish with 25.

before I’d be scoring 21-24 but with an even split.
It'll click ;)
I'm convinced I'm not far off from my best

Remove this Banner Ad

Back