80​
-​
-​
78​
-​
Sorrento​
Cups WR​

Last edited:
How many times are you playing? I took my clubs to Denver, Colorado 2 years ago for 2 games of golf. My wife shook her head at me awkwardly dragging my luggage bag and my golf clubs everywhere. If I was to do it all again I wouldn’t change a thing.It’s infinitely more enjoyable using your own sticks. The hire ones usually aren’t much chop and you’ll shell out between $25 to $50 minimum at the Sunny Coast.
View attachment 1101351
Is yours a hard back? It looks like one of the better quality ones

I had rounds practically booked at pebble, spyglass and the links last year. And was trying LA country haha - wouldve cost me most of my organs
One of our members that has played Pebble reckons it has 6 good holes that you see on TV and the rest are not much at all. LA Country looks like a lot of our public courses, eucalypts included!

The way I look at it, you can generally get on to nearly every public course around Melbourne for under $100 except for I think Moonah Links and Barwon Heads.

Are you going to get a much better experience at many of the exclusive clubs that is much better than those public courses to be worth 2 or 3 times the price. Personally i don't think so

One of our members that has played Pebble reckons it has 6 good holes that you see on TV and the rest are not much at all. LA Country looks like a lot of our public courses, eucalypts included!
They are still 6 pretty special holes

The way I look at it, you can generally get on to nearly every public course around Melbourne for under $100 except for I think Moonah Links and Barwon Heads.

Are you going to get a much better experience at many of the exclusive clubs that is much better than those public courses to be worth 2 or 3 times the price. Personally i don't think so

Add St Andrews to that list. great course. a ripping course!! love it.

conditioning is where its at at one of those private courses. Not to say its perfect, far from it. Its like food, everyone has a different taste. Im not a fan of huntingdale, but someone else is. and that's great.

Its relative in the end. Even public courses that are dirt cheap, compare those to barwon heads. Same question may be asked.

Agreed. There's courses at different price points ranging from cheap to more expensive, and the value and quality varies at each price point.
It's about finding your own value and what you think is worth it. For me, I've played some stunning courses at under $100 green fees. I've also played $15 green fees for courses that are as good as $40 green fees, and then I've played $35 green fees for courses as good as double the price in my eyes.

I'm not sure I'd ever find value in a $250 green fee in Melbourne, but admittedly I haven't played one. The best premium courses for quality before you start to get diminishing from your money is between the $50-150 green fee range I feel.

A massive regret I have was the day after the Presidents cup in 2011. Mark Allen on SEN said for $400 RM was allowing people to play the composite course! It was a fundraiser of some sort if I remember correctly. Considering that the composite course only exists during major competition, it would have been well worth it.

I think it really depends on how much money you actually have....and then how much does the missus control the purse strings.
To me it’s a lot about experiences, memories, enjoyment and challenge.
The top courses provide all of those. If you can get on Kingston Heath for say $200, your playing a course where you can compare your scorecard to Tiger Woods, challenge yourself on a world renowned course and experience a course that’s held huge tournaments. I’m not going to do it every week, maybe a couple of times a year if I’m lucky. But for the difference of $150 to play Sandringham public, the memories will last a lifetime. You won’t care about the money in 2 weeks time.
We only live once, let’s enjoy it.

The top courses provide all of those. If you can get on Kingston Heath for say $200, your playing a course where you can compare your scorecard to Tiger Woods, challenge yourself on a world renowned course and experience a course that’s held huge tournaments. I’m not going to do it every week, maybe a couple of times a year if I’m lucky. But for the difference of $150 to play Sandringham public, the memories will last a lifetime. You won’t care about the money in 2 weeks time.
I do very much agree with this but for me the best experiences and memories on a golf course rarely coincide with the course itself but more the people you share the moments with. I’d pay decent money to experience a few of the best sandbelt courses but I’m not all that interested in playing them for huge $$$ then being paired with a couple of nuffies that make the experience a lot less enjoyable.

I do very much agree with this but for me the best experiences and memories on a golf course rarely coincide with the course itself but more the people you share the moments with. I’d pay decent money to experience a few of the best sandbelt courses but I’m not all that interested in playing them for huge $$$ then being paired with a couple of nuffies that make the experience a lot less enjoyable.
I would wager the vast majority of members from higher end golf clubs would do their very best to make sure visitors have the best experience possible.

Can't for the life of me understand how Moonah Links gets away with charging more than the superior courses nearby.

A good pro shop will know who the nuffies are and not pair you with them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Talking a bit of strategy - do you guys tend to aim for par every hole, or net par? Theres a couple of long holes at my home course I get two shots on now - and I play them as par 5’s or else I risk big numbers.

Talking a bit of strategy - do you guys tend to aim for par every hole, or net par? Theres a couple of long holes at my home course I get two shots on now - and I play them as par 5’s or else I risk big numbers.
All depends where my tee shot ends up usually. I couldn't bring myself to club down off the tee in order to give myself the best chance to play to my net par. Maybe if I was in the middle of a PB round, but even then I'd stick with what was working.

You play a par 4 as a 5? Or is it a Par 3 as a par 5?

Talking a bit of strategy - do you guys tend to aim for par every hole, or net par? There's a couple of long holes at my home course I get two shots on now - and I play them as par 5’s or else I risk big numbers.
It's a great question. I play for par every hole but on the mental side it's good to be aware of what holes you get a shot (or two) on. It helps not to beat yourself up if you walk off a hole with a bogey/dble bogey if you're walking off with a nett par.

There is a couple of par 4s on the courses I frequent that I never par anyway. The longer one, if I go for it in 2 it requires a draw approach as there is gums that prevent any other shot....I tend to fade (although I can draw if I get it right) and that brings a 6 into the equation as there is a fair bit of trouble on the right. If I am really out of position off the tee, I am trying to leave a half wedge up the middle of a skinny long green (juss nice birdie on it). Happy to take 5. The other is short...with trouble everywhere...been taking an 8 iron to the generous part of the fairway.......bump an run a 7 say 100m to a skinny part of the fairway (25m wide being generous with death either side) then a wedge and play for a 5 and hope I will make a birdie elsewhere. Pretty s**t way to play it but its the first hole and I hate starting with more than a bogie and I have been burnt many a times by that hole.

It really depends on everything. Conditions, how you feeling, injuries, sleep quality, your score to that point, are you playing matchplay/stroke/stable etc, where's your shot ended up resulting in what you do next?

Times you'll take the extra shot to avoid danger.

Agree as a once off experience. It's when people are spending that week to week that I think its going it a bit far.
There is a couple of par 4s on the courses I frequent that I never par anyway. The longer one, if I go for it in 2 it requires a draw approach as there is gums that prevent any other shot....I tend to fade (although I can draw if I get it right) and that brings a 6 into the equation as there is a fair bit of trouble on the right. If I am really out of position off the tee, I am trying to leave a half wedge up the middle of a skinny long green (juss nice birdie on it). Happy to take 5. The other is short...with trouble everywhere...been taking an 8 iron to the generous part of the fairway.......bump an run a 7 say 100m to a skinny part of the fairway (25m wide being generous with death either side) then a wedge and play for a 5 and hope I will make a birdie elsewhere. Pretty sh*t way to play it but its the first hole and I hate starting with more than a bogie and I have been burnt many a times by that hole.
I shall never forget that bird. Like a highschool girlfriend I hope to meet her again.

Always aiming for an eagle on every hole.

Unless it is a short par 4 i'm hitting driver anyway, hit a half decent drive i'm going for the green, a bad drive and i'm trying to get it as close to the green as possible. Main thing for me is to not have a bad drive turn into a really bad hole with a double or triple bogey

Last edited:
I've been reading various how to break 100/90/80 etc articles. I think one of my problems has been going for par every hole, unrealistic for me. That often costs me more shots playing risky and attacking.

I'm going to try a staggered approach now. Aiming to break 100 consistently, then 90, then 80, etc over time. I feel breaking down improvement into chunks will yield better results. To break 100, I can basically 9x bogey and 9x double bogey a round. Thats going to be my new "par" and I'll plan my holes to that.

All depends where my tee shot ends up usually. I couldn't bring myself to club down off the tee in order to give myself the best chance to play to my net par. Maybe if I was in the middle of a PB round, but even then I'd stick with what was working.

My home course is so narrow and lined with trees that Ive been going with a 4 iron on nearly all holes. Cant risk the driver and 3 hybrid at the moment the way Im hitting them.

I've been reading various how to break 100/90/80 etc articles. I think one of my problems has been going for par every hole, unrealistic for me. That often costs me more shots playing risky and attacking.

I'm going to try a staggered approach now. Aiming to break 100 consistently, then 90, then 80, etc over time. I feel breaking down improvement into chunks will yield better results. To break 100, I can basically 9x bogey and 9x double bogey a round. Thats going to be my new "par" and I'll plan my holes to that.

Nice mate. Sounds similar to what Im doing. For me golf is so much more enjoyable if Im on the fairway/in play off the tee and out of trouble. My swing just isn’t consistent enough yet to warrant trying long approaches expecting them to hit the green and risking it going to s**t. Especially at my course with so much bush around. Any approach requiring less loft than an 8 iron Im not confident with.

Heres a few recent holes Ive played clubbing down off the tee, aiming for net par. First 3 at the Vines in blustery conditions when my driver went to crap, and the last two at my home course. Hole 5 is Index 1.

IMG_1185.JPG IMG_1186.JPG IMG_1187.JPG IMG_1204.JPG
IMG_1205.JPG

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Back