80​
-​
-​
78​
-​
Sorrento​
Cups WR​

Last edited:
There is a couple of par 4s on the courses I frequent that I never par anyway. The longer one, if I go for it in 2 it requires a draw approach as there is gums that prevent any other shot....I tend to fade (although I can draw if I get it right) and that brings a 6 into the equation as there is a fair bit of trouble on the right. If I am really out of position off the tee, I am trying to leave a half wedge up the middle of a skinny long green (juss nice birdie on it). Happy to take 5. The other is short...with trouble everywhere...been taking an 8 iron to the generous part of the fairway.......bump an run a 7 say 100m to a skinny part of the fairway (25m wide being generous with death either side) then a wedge and play for a 5 and hope I will make a birdie elsewhere. Pretty sh*t way to play it but its the first hole and I hate starting with more than a bogie and I have been burnt many a times by that hole.
Sounds like my style lol

I've been reading various how to break 100/90/80 etc articles. I think one of my problems has been going for par every hole, unrealistic for me. That often costs me more shots playing risky and attacking.

I'm going to try a staggered approach now. Aiming to break 100 consistently, then 90, then 80, etc over time. I feel breaking down improvement into chunks will yield better results. To break 100, I can basically 9x bogey and 9x double bogey a round. Thats going to be my new "par" and I'll plan my holes to that.
On average, how many shots does it take to be on/around the green?

On average, how many shots does it take to be on/around the green?
For me? Depends on the hole.
The nature of being a high handicapper is that I'm inconsistent, it's not that my best shots aren't good, it's that my worst shots are far worse and more frequent than most.

I could be hitting GIRs or I could be on 6 shots before I'm near the green if I slice a driver into the woods on a tough par 5.

The goal of the break 100 though is to be having your first putt being for no worse than bogey.

For me? Depends on the hole.
The nature of being a high handicapper is that I'm inconsistent, it's not that my best shots aren't good, it's that my worst shots are far worse and more frequent than most.

I could be hitting GIRs or I could be on 6 shots before I'm near the green if I slice a driver into the woods on a tough par 5.

The goal of the break 100 though is to be having your first putt being for no worse than bogey.
So let’s say a par 4. You’re tee shot is in the trees, take the most low risk option to get back to the fairway. Even hit backwards if you need to. 3rd shot should be hopefully around the green or on. It’s up to your short game now. Never try to be a hero with that 2nd shot. Just get it out and start again. Compounding bad shots with risky shots is the easiest way to shoot high scores. Good short game is how you shoot low scores.

So let’s say a par 4. You’re tee shot is in the trees, take the most low risk option to get back to the fairway. Even hit backwards if you need to. 3rd shot should be hopefully around the green or on. It’s up to your short game now. Never try to be a hero with that 2nd shot. Just get it out and start again. Compounding bad shots with risky shots is the easiest way to shoot high scores. Good short game is how you shoot low scores.
This. So a 360m par 4. Say in the trees at 180m. Unless you are right behind a tree or a really bad shot you normally would have some sort of angle to safely bump back onto the fairway for another 20-30m. Now you are hitting 150m in and would be looking to take at worst 4 from there. Walk off with a double bogey rather than a 7 or 8 trying to go for the hero shot that might get par or bogey 10% of the time

The low punch out of trees is a good shot to practice. If you can safely get it 70-100m down the fairway. You can now hit a wedge and feel more confident walking away with just a bogey

Everything was left off the tee today....either on the fairway, first cut or trees. Very frustrating when you have previously been hitting a fade. Took too long to aim out right and tee up the ball on the left side of the tee box and was score had blown out a bit by the time I adjusted. Most disappointing thing was flushing a few drives on the more difficult holes but walking off with bad scores.

I shot 101/84 on Wednesday. It’s the 2nd time that I’ve raised the bat in the last month after not cracking 100 since August 2019.
Yesterday I had 27 points with 1 point on the last 3 holes. My golf really fell away in the cricket season. So much so that I’m playing off 18 after being a 14 handicapper 6 months ago.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What are people's opinions on the OB/Lost Ball penalty?

Is stroke and distance too harsh or a fair punishment?

Fair I reckon. Take the risk - pay the price.

Something that really hammers the scorecard when learning to play competitively following the actual rules of golf coming from just casual rounds with mates.

Last edited:

Are you talking about the newish OB rule where you get to play your 4th shot from the fairway?
My opinion on that one is it shouldn’t be available in stroke competitions as it is another disadvantage to a low handicapper.

Are you talking about the newish OB rule where you get to play your 4th shot from the fairway?
My opinion on that one is it shouldn’t be available in stroke competitions as it is another disadvantage to a low handicapper.

Cant do this in club comps

if its a rule then it will apply to all competition manners one'd suspect

This. So a 360m par 4. Say in the trees at 180m. Unless you are right behind a tree or a really bad shot you normally would have some sort of angle to safely bump back onto the fairway for another 20-30m. Now you are hitting 150m in and would be looking to take at worst 4 from there. Walk off with a double bogey rather than a 7 or 8 trying to go for the hero shot that might get par or bogey 10% of the time
Easy to say not always easy to control yourself not to go for it

220m out 2nd shot on a par 5. There was a decent gap just had to keep it low. Absolutely nailed a 4 iron, would have gone most of the way except it went half a metre too high. Walk off with a 7

Easy to say not always easy to control yourself not to go for it

220m out 2nd shot on a par 5. There was a decent gap just had to keep it low. Absolutely nailed a 4 iron, would have gone most of the way except it went half a metre too high. Walk off with a 7
I would give this a 1/10 for course management. Taking a risk with a club you know isn’t going to get the distance. There’s 0 advantage for you. Punch your 4 iron/3 wood 150m and leave a full wedge in.
If you’re 220 out in the middle of the fairway,different story but you’ve got to think what you’ll achieve if you pull of the shot you want to hit.

I would give this a 1/10 for course management. Taking a risk with a club you know isn’t going to get the distance. There’s 0 advantage for you. Punch your 4 iron/3 wood 150m and leave a full wedge in.
If you’re 220 out in the middle of the fairway,different story but you’ve got to think what you’ll achieve if you pull of the shot you want to hit.
The choices were only really punch out 30m forward back on to the fairway and hit a long iron in or go for gap that was 50 metres ahead that could send me 150m plus down the fairway. Had to keep it low but with plenty of rubbish on the ground didn't want to run it along the ground.
Hit it low, just not low enough. If it got through it would have rolled a long way down.

Another thought to help with decision making is to always try and give yourself a par putt. You might be lucky and make it. A bad tee shot means par is good, bogey is expected. It takes the mental pressure off.

The choices were only really punch out 30m forward back on to the fairway and hit a long iron in or go for gap that was 50 metres ahead that could send me 150m plus down the fairway. Had to keep it low but with plenty of rubbish on the ground didn't want to run it along the ground.
Hit it low, just not low enough. If it got through it would have rolled a long way down.
I can’t really talk, I’ve done that heaps of times! If it’s a social round, then go for it, it’s what makes golf fun. I probably wouldn’t in a comp though.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back