Strategy Your Magic Formula

Remove this Banner Ad

Board: I think we are going in the right direction here as we are taking more contemporary approaches to appointments etc. Still needs to be reviewed and we still have some dinosaurs in the park.

Coaching: Happy with Bolts, Teague and Bruce. I believe we are heading in the right direction and looking to find very good assistants. Would be very interested to know if we would look at finding coaches for individuals. Not all players will respond to a coach, so finding which coach / player combinations work and exploring positional changes or to simply convey the message.

Players: We are growing the talent, they are getting the games into our youth and we are carrying players who are injured (physically / mentally) into games. Our list is improving, talent wise and more will be moved on this offseason. We need more mobility, physically and vision. I would like our players to shepard or block more for each other rather than look for the hand off.

Totally review the medical / fitness section. We can not keep having seasons where we have large numbers of players injured. A more wholistic approach to injury management that encompasses not only the injury but the areas around that injury (the foot bone is connected to the leg bone, the leg bone is connected to the hip bone etc)

“I would like our players to shepard or block more for each other rather than look for the hand off”

This sums it up for me. Especially th kick out! I’ve seen under 12’s do this

I think it all starts from the VFL. We should cut our ties with Preston and field and run a stand alone side playing out of PP from 2019. I think our poor player development stems from there.....what exactly have we got out of this alliance?? its not working....

I'd move on Josh Fraser, Andrew McKay and John Barker. and i'd find a real replacement for Craig.

Magic Bullets:
1. Complete review of medical, fitness and conditioning staff/department.
2. Stand alone Carlton VFL team.
3. Players: Gaff FA. Keep our first and at least one of our second rounders unless we can get an absolutely incredible deal. While I see the need for peak age players, I don't see any of the other FAs as in our best 22 in 3 years time.

1. The Board
- appoint a more media savvy President

2. The Coaching Panel
- get a proper senior assistant coach to mentor Bolts
- sort out these injuries and don't rush players back
- get a 21st century plan at our kick-ins FFS

3. The Players
- not a whole lot we can do right now
- take a look at our draft choices from 2003-2013 and you'll see why we have so many cloggers like Kerridge and Graham still on the list and even worse getting games!
- if/when we get pick #1 and we are confident in McKay, Curnow, Kerr & De Koning consider trading it under the following circumstance. Let's say a team really needs a KPF and they have a pick in the top 5-6 (for this example take Freo). Offer them pick 1 for pick 5-6 & their best (Victorian if it's an interstate club) young midfielder (Cerra for example).
- If there's no takers in this 2-for-1 market DO NOT TRADE the #1 pick

Last edited:
Those of you that say our young talent hasn’t come on, we probably have the two best players under 23 in the league. If you are arguing that some haven’t come on, then you need to give credit for those that have.

1. The Board
- appoint a more media savvy President

2. The Coaching Panel
- get a proper senior assistant coach to mentor Bolts
- sort out these injuries and don't rush players back
- get a 21st century plan at our kick-ins FFS

3. The Players
- not a whole lot we can do right now
- take a look at our draft choices from 2003-2013 and you'll see why we have so many cloggers like Kerridge and Graham still on the list and even worse getting games!
- if/when we get pick #1 and we are confident in McKay, Curnow, Kerr & De Koning consider trading it under the following circumstance. Let's say a team really needs a KPF and they have a pick in the top 5-6 (for this example take Freo). Offer them pick 1 for pick 5-6 & their best (Victorian if it's an interstate club) young midfielder (Cerra for example).
- If there's no takers in this 2-for-1 market DO NOT TRADE the #1 pick
Liked due to point 1. I have certainly got the cold shoulder in other threads for suggesting we should be hearing more (or something) from MLG.

In this day and age being media savvy is a prerequisite for a club president imo.

Liked due to point 1. I have certainly got the cold shoulder in other threads for suggesting we should be hearing more (or something) from MLG.

In this day and age being media savvy is a prerequisite for a club president imo.
If not a media savvy pres then the CEO or football manager. I'd say Liddle and McKay aren't that much better/frequent with what they say

1. Poach the best sports scientists they can find across all sports and mould them into a dream team that is the best in the business period
2. Find a larger than life figure with extreme competencies to run their football department
3. Find a mentor for the coaches and have them review each coach's performance after every game just like they do for the players
4. Change the leadership selection process to prioritise players that are competitive beasts with high end ability. Let the coaches do the teaching and allow the leadership group to drive the standards by example
5. Give Carlton's recruiting staff the resources they need to build a dominant Northern Blues list

(Log in to remove this ad.)

People keep saying he needs to be more media savvy but WHY? I haven't see a good reason yet

Lots of very good Presidents in the past or even now aren't media savvy

People keep saying he needs to be more media savvy but WHY? I haven't see a good reason yet

Getting supporters to become members (for a traditional powerhouse our membership is terrible), getting big corporate sponsorships, keeping the confidence of members that the strategy is on track, that sort of thing.

Getting supporters to become members (for a traditional powerhouse our membership is terrible), getting big corporate sponsorships, keeping the confidence of members that the strategy is on track, that sort of thing.

Sounds like Liddles role to me and he is good at it. Judd as well. IMO a President or CEO etc should play to their strengths and employ others to do the the rest and what they are good at. I reckon he has done that and done it well.

No point making him something he's not.

Seems to me that people want him to speak for their own benefit rather than what is good for the club.

Sounds like Liddles role to me and he is good at it. Judd as well. IMO a President or CEO etc should play to their strengths and employ others to do the the rest and what they are good at. I reckon he has done that and done it well.

No point making him something he's not.

Seems to me that people want him to speak for their own benefit rather than what is good for the club.
I'd say it is the President's role too to sell the club to stakeholders and potential sponsors.

MLG is not the 'blonde haired blue eyed' stereotype most prefer.

As an aside don't take the above literally - it is a metaphor.

People will contort themselves in order to come up with not much (against the actual facts) in order to justify their bias/prejudice/concerns.

He will become a hero or a zero - depending on the success or failure of the current strategy.

The board embarked on the rebuild and that on its own took courage.

The rebuild is not the issue, the issue is the rate of improvement from the youngsters, team cohesion, ball movement and game plan.

We have been going backwards and Brisbane is set to over take us with a worst list. Clubs that have gone through a rebuild such as Fremantle, North Melbourne and to a lesser extent Hawthorn are very competitive with minimal first round picks. The reason being is they have a superior coaching panel and superior senior coach.

Clubs that have gone through a rebuild such as Fremantle, North Melbourne and to a lesser extent Hawthorn are very competitive with minimal first round picks. The reason being is they have a superior coaching panel and superior senior coach.
How did you go about excluding other variables?

Lots of very good Presidents in the past or even now aren't media savvy
Two of the President, CEO & Footy Manager need be very good. Doesn't need to be the President.

MLG: 3/10 when he speaks & 2/10 for frequency
Liddle: 8/10 when he speaks & 5/10 for frequency
McKay: 3/10 when he speaks & 8/10 for frequency

Overall that's not good enough. One of McKay or MLG need to be much better communicators to the fans & football public to sell or defend our club.

The rebuild is not the issue, the issue is the rate of improvement from the youngsters, team cohesion, ball movement and game plan.

We have been going backwards and Brisbane is set to over take us with a worst list. Clubs that have gone through a rebuild such as Fremantle, North Melbourne and to a lesser extent Hawthorn are very competitive with minimal first round picks. The reason being is they have a superior coaching panel and superior senior coach.

Yep. How we aren't Premiership contenders by now with 23 youngsters under 21 and less than 30 games, having turned over 42 players starting from the lowest base possible and doing a complete rebuild is beyond me. The 66 game List Rebuild should have been completed in 10. Injuries to Docherty, Murphy, Willo, Marchbank and a heap of others are just a weak excuse. This club is pathetic. Sakc Bolton, MLG & SOS and let's start again. Bring back Elliott

:rolleyes:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back