10k Posts
Jul 20, 2013
Test Cricket
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
LIVERPOOL, Sydney FC, Nottm Forest
Mine:

Never pick second year players that played more than 5 games - Second year blues often kick in and they are awkwardly priced. Only ones I have this year are Jesse Hogan, Trent Dumont and Nathan Freeman, but they are basically first year players as they are all yet to debut.

Always start with Gary Ablett - Never can bring myself to not pick him. Usually good for at least 120 each week, I simply cannot not have those points.

Never pick the number one draft pick - This wasn't as blanket before the draftee tax came in a couple of seasons ago. I'm not paying 217k for Petracca (number 1 SC relevant pick) when I can possibly raise an extra 100k by picking a draftee 140k or lower. Also the number one pick rarely has the best first year.

More for newbies than experienced but worth noting:
  1. Don't underestimate a full and uninterrupted preseason.
  2. Tall forwards (except Buddy) are risky. Started with N Roo and Petrie last year, never again!
  3. Player X who played 20 games last year and averaged 65 is not a bargain at 350k
  4. Do your homework and particularly 1st round draftees. They may be cheap and have great attributes but will they get game time or likely vest holders?
  5. Research players previous seasons and see how many games they crack the ton before you spend 500k+ on. Many average high 80's then crack 140 two three times a year. Research, research, research!
  6. Player X may be cheap coming off a missed season due to knee injury etc but what did he average in previous seasons? He maybe 200k but if he only averaged 65 in the couple of seasons prior to injury do you still want him?
  7. Don't put player X in your side because someone on Big Footy who came 267,563 in the comp last year said so. Watch the preseason games, results, game time and make your own call.
  8. Don't burn too many trades in first month, try for none if possible
  9. Allow four trades for rnds 22 & 23, coaches love to rest your 600k player just to stuff up as many Fantasy players as possible.

I have 3 rules.

1. Do not consider any non-rookie priced player (over $225,000) who has not managed an average of 90+ in any ten consecutive games over the past 2 seasons (or past 40 games over the past 3 seasons, if he played less than 40 games in the past 2 seasons). This rule meant that at the end of 2014 I still had all the non-rookie priced players I started with except for 2 who were traded out due to injury.

2. M/B and M/F non-rookie priced DPPs can only be selected in the backine and forward line respectively ... never in the midfield. It's simply a waste of valuable midfield positions to start them there.

3. Judge every player on his merits. Do not exclude a player from consideration simply because you had him last year and he disappointed you. It's human nature to do this but you should resist the impulse. I didn't have players like Zorko, JPK and Jacobs in 2013 so I had no problem including them in my team last year when so many people who had been burnt by them refused to consider them. A player's future performance isn't going to alter because they were, or were not, in your team the previous year.

I don't know if anyone else has already posted this article, but I found it pretty interesting:

http://www.jockreynolds.com.au/2015/01/29/the-bruyn-manoeuvre-blokes-i-wont-touch/

Dude, who coaches TheDimmaWits talking about players he won't start with.

For me personally:

- Never pick DPP Players over $200k for the Midfield.
- P. Duffield is never a good idea.
- Deledio is better than Cotchin.

Good article, mirrors my thoughts on Parker, so it's good to know i'm not the only one.

I don't know if anyone else has already posted this article, but I found it pretty interesting:

http://www.jockreynolds.com.au/2015/01/29/the-bruyn-manoeuvre-blokes-i-wont-touch/
Interesting article and well thought out. The only part I'd query is the description of Franklin as "fully-priced". He's priced at an average of 99.9, but he's proved in the past that he's capable of averaging 110-15. It also took him a while to settle into his new role at Sydney last season and his first 6 games included uncharacteristic scores of 29, 31 and 54. If you leave out those games he averaged 111.5. Not saying he should be selected, but he's certainly not fully priced.

Nah, Ashton Agar said it only came in a couple of seasons ago.

Gary-Coleman-wtf.gif

...Yeah, it's only a few seasons old.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My main blanket rule, and one I stated last year:

Unless he is an absolute must-have, you should never have more than 2 players from your own team in your SC side.

Too many times in my earlier years have I gone with Higgins, Tom Williams, Hargrave once he was past it, Brad Johnson once he was past it, Jarrad Grant :oops: and the like because they're in my team and they're "certain to break out".

This rule doesn't apply for, say, if you're a Collingwood fan and you have a combination of Pendles/Swan/Beams in your midfield two years ago, as well as H. Shaw down back.

Too many times you'll get burnt by your own team, and you'll convince yourself that since you watch your team you're far more well-informed and you know who's going to do well in SC this year.

This rule doesn't apply to SureBuddy14

Last edited:
My main blanket rule, and one I stated last year:

Unless he is an absolute must-have, you should never have more than 2 players from your own team in your SC side.

Too many times in my earlier years have I gone with Higgins, Tom Williams, Hargrave once he was past it, Brad Johnson once he was past it, Jarrad Grant :)oops:) and the like because they're in my team and they're "certain to break out".

This rule doesn't apply for, say, if you're a Collingwood fan and you have a combination of Pendles/Swan/Beams in your midfield two years ago, as well as H. Shaw down back.

Too many times you'll get burnt by your own team, and you'll convince yourself that since you watch your team you're far more well-informed and you know who's going to do well in SC this year.

This rule doesn't apply to SureBuddy14

Agree with this rule.

I could make a case for having all of Selwood, Caddy, Motlop, Duncan, Bews, Enright, Jansen, Blease, Clark and Guthrie in my team. In fact...

I remain confuse.

Paying a premium for a high draft pick wasn't anything new to season 2014, paying a premium for a player taken in the mini-draft was.

So whereas mini-draft players O'Meara and Crouch cost you $115.9k in 2013, mini-draft players Martin and Hogan cost you $222.3k and $217.3k respectively in 2014.
Before 2014, rookie players didn't cost above 123K or thereabouts.

From 2014 onwards, the top draft pick has been above 200K with the draft picks after him running in descending price down to 106K for the rookies.

Before 2014, rookie players didn't cost above 123K or thereabouts.

From 2014 onwards, the top draft pick has been above 200K with the draft picks after him running in descending price down to 106K for the rookies.
Again, I feel like I've missed something.

In 2013, Whitfield cost $199.5k descending in $5k increments to Simpson at $119.5k (base rookie price was $109.5k).
In 2012, Patton cost $196.6k descending in $5k increments to McKenzie at $111.6k (base rookie price was $106.6k).
In 2011, Swallow cost $188.6k descending in $5k increments to Atley at $108.6k (base rookie price was $103.6k).
In 2010, Scully cost $179.2k descending in $5k increments to Pittard at $108.6k (base rookie price was $94.2k).
In 2009, Watts cost $174.2k descending in $5k increments to Schoenmakers at $99.2k (base rookie price was $94.2k).

So nothing new in 2014 except that a levy was placed on mini-draft players.

Because your inability to understand something so simple is becoming frustrating.
So it should be simple to explain then. Feel free.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back