YVMDFL Thread - 2012

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't know whether these ideas would work or not but I can't agree that people are anticipating problems that don't exist. Playing unders on a Saturday night isn't that straight forward. Clubs rely fairly extensively on both bar sales and functions to raise cash, both would have to take a huge hit. I can't imagine it being an ideal environment to have spectators inside drinking at the bar whilst unders are running around. Like it or not there are blokes that like to go to the footy on a sat arvo and enjoy a few refreshments, more than anything local footy is a social event that brings people together within the community. To me it would seem unrealistic to discourage grog sales on a sat arvo due to juniors being played every sat night based purely on the fact that clubs bottom lines would be too greatly affected.Most clubs I would have thought don't have a liquor license to serve outside after prob 5pm and would want, encourage bar sales after the main game. That mixed with the fact that like it or not people aren't going up to the footy on a sat arvo to watch the under 18 game, that's just a fact. Another issue has to be the weather/climate we find ourselves in. I guarantee I'm not the only one that has run out after half time of the senior game up at olinda and it has been arctic with visibility poor, now thats at 3:30, imagine it at 6:30/7 with another 45 mins of footy to go.I would suggest that %75 of venues in the valley just aren't in a great spot for night footy in the winter months.
I can see that the leagues/clubs issues with under 18's footy are slowly creeping to crisis point and that options need to be discussed but night footy in my opinion creates a burden on clubs that is unnecessary.
Only my opinion though.
Wow! A lot of assumptions in there.
Who said that the bar would have to close?
Who said patrons will be inside? That is not the case when a game is on! Why would it suddenly change for an U18 match?
There is no real problem with having a bar operating while U18's are playing. If it was U16's or any DRJFL teams, I can understand the concern, but...
The bar still operates at all the local YVMDFL finals when U18's are playing, so why the sudden wowserism for during the year? Spectators don't turn their back to the play when they have a beer. They actually watch the game outside and drink as well. Multi-taskers, our footy fans.
The liquor licences are pretty much standard for all clubs. Apart from Booth Licences, alcohol can't be SERVED outside of the licenced premises. Where it is consumed is delineated in the licence. Check it with your club.
Yes. It IS a community sport. The clubs would be more likely to have spectators stay around and the U18's are more likely to feel part of that community when they have spectators actually watching them! That doesn't happen now because the games are basically held too early. A lot of people work Sat mornings and don't get to the games - to watch or play! Most club supporters hardly know who the U18 kids are! Night games puts the kids right in their vision. Good for the family feel at the club.
Again, let's give it a try first and make adjustments when the real issues arise. As you state, it is just your opinion about night footy. Trial it so that "opinions" can be tested.

There are a couple of assumptions there hawk, this is an opinion based forum though. Perfectly well aware of the liquor license laws hawk, and my point is that you can sell it but not drink it outside apart from a designated area which is rather small, adjustments to any liquor license is not straight forward, on this I am speaking from experience, having run the bar at 2 footy clubs.
As far as having multi tasking supporters that's fine but I would argue with you that your are overplaying the general interest level in watching under 18 footy. Take this year for example, there were only 2 teams in it, I would stay and watch those two teams play after the main game but would I stand out in 4 degree weather to watch a 30 goal drubbing? no and I don't think I'm alone, plus as I stated before the climate doesn't suit outdoor patronage at night up here.
I'm not having a crack at others views, you have yours and I have mine, just think the issues run far deeper than changing the game time/day. Plus I still there are real problems that exist with night footy to do with volunteers and patronage that don't exist with the current arrangement. Regardless, nothing can happen till lighting is upgraded across most grounds which isn't going to happen overnight, pardon the pun.
Again my opinion only.

There are a couple of assumptions there hawk, this is an opinion based forum though. Perfectly well aware of the liquor license laws hawk, and my point is that you can sell it but not drink it outside apart from a designated area which is rather small, adjustments to any liquor license is not straight forward, on this I am speaking from experience, having run the bar at 2 footy clubs.
As far as having multi tasking supporters that's fine but I would argue with you that your are overplaying the general interest level in watching under 18 footy. Take this year for example, there were only 2 teams in it, I would stay and watch those two teams play after the main game but would I stand out in 4 degree weather to watch a 30 goal drubbing? no and I don't think I'm alone, plus as I stated before the climate doesn't suit outdoor patronage at night up here.
I'm not having a crack at others views, you have yours and I have mine, just think the issues run far deeper than changing the game time/day. Plus I still there are real problems that exist with night footy to do with volunteers and patronage that don't exist with the current arrangement. Regardless, nothing can happen till lighting is upgraded across most grounds which isn't going to happen overnight, pardon the pun.
Again my opinion only.
1. Drinkers are creatures of habit. If they are confined to watching from defined drinking areas during the day, then it stands to reason they will not suddenly change when dusk falls. Spectators relish any contest. That is the essence of the sports lover.
2. Let's check the interest first, before we condemn it just on hearsay.
3. You overplay the climate issue. The changes are relatively minimal and even then, occasional. It's amazing how we adapt to the few occasions when it does turn.
4. Night AFL/VFL was subject to the same criticisms and dismissed as a quaint fad that would not work in the long term. Ditto with cricket.
5. Opinion is what drives change. Is there any objection to trialling night fixtures in order to separate fact from assumption/opinion?

Give it a shot. We have nothing to lose and a lot to gain.

Looks like Belgrave need a new Scoreboard & Time Keepers box :( No Happy!

Attachments

• 184838_305686069545666_682000407_n.jpg
    184838_305686069545666_682000407_n.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 152
  • 531109_305686539545619_754543950_n.jpg
    531109_305686539545619_754543950_n.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 145
Could someone tell me if the red card on Hump 17's page means he's been reported and banished from the game??? Would be such a shame..... Does this also mean The Fingers career is at the crossroads???

Could someone tell me if the red card on Hump 17's page means he's been reported and banished from the game??? Would be such a shame..... Does this also mean The Fingers career is at the crossroads???

Finger is fine no idea about Hump 17.

Finger is fine no idea about Hump 17.

Good on ya Finger, great to see you feel confident enough to talk to me on the forum now and not via personal email!!! You sure know how to ruffle the feathers on here. Poor old Monnieseagul has had to quit his part time job cleaning the toilets at the Rosebud RSL to keep you in line on here. Hump17 throw us a line to let us know your still in the game??

Good on ya Finger, great to see you feel confident enough to talk to me on the forum now and not via personal email!!! You sure know how to ruffle the feathers on here. Poor old Monnieseagul has had to quit his part time job cleaning the toilets at the Rosebud RSL to keep you in line on here. Hump17 throw us a line to let us know your still in the game??

Cheers Hwy, must admit it doesn't take much to get him going these days. Simply post the truth or at the very least what you've been told by members of clubs and if he doesn't agree the poor bloke goes ape. Anyone would think it was a forum or something.:)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Was at kinglake today for the fev game.... Kinglake were horrible would have gotten very very ugly without fev even though he only managed four goals.... Delivery inside 50 to fev was very poor

Pretty physical type of game with a few scuffles

BELGRAVE V HEALSVILLE must win game for both BELGRAVE at home
WARBURTON V MT EV whoever wins will be out of the relegation stakes WARBURTON at home
OLINDA V WOORI WOORI to flex there muscles in the mud pit
UPWEY V WANDIN upset here i reckon UPWEY to win at home like last year. WANDIN are due to be picked off
YARRA GLEN V MONBULK percentage boost for MONBULK

Remove this Banner Ad

Back