Zoning

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 17, 2000
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Fitzroy Football Club
Interesting article in Inside Football recently on what the lists of all the teams in 2003 might be if zoning had not have been abolished. This also assumes no trading took place as well.

Brisbane is assumed to have had Qld + Fitzroy's old recruiting zones of Hampden and the eastern suburbs of Bulleen-oncaster etc.

The question is could the Lions have won a flag or two with the following team?

The 2003 Brisbane team might have looked like this:
B: M. Ashcroft M.Michael M.Hudghton
HB: L. Cameron, C. Bizell, B. Scott
B: B. Voss, C. Scott, D. White
HF: S. Lucas, J. Brown, A Kingsley
F: A. Lord, A. Lynch, N. Riewoldt
FOL: C. Keating, M. Voss, J. Akermanis
INT: J. Barker, M. Hahn, J. Charman, R. Copeland
EMERG:

IN:
Max Hudghton (StK)
Leon Cameron (Rich)
Clint Bizzell (Melb)
Scott Lucas (Ess)
Adam Kingsley (Gee)
Aaron Lord (Haw)
Nick Riewoldt (StK)
John Barker (Haw)
Mitchell Hahn (Haw?)

OUT:
Des Headland (zoned to WC)
Beau McDonald (WC)
Daniel Bradshaw (Kan)
Shaun Hart (Melb)
Justin Leppitsch (Syd)
Chris Johnson (Carl)
Martin Pike (Ade)
Craig McRae (Ade)
Simon Black (Fre)
Luke Power (Haw)
Dylan McLaren (WB)

From my reading we definitely would not have won a premiership, much less two.

Yes, that was a fascinating article. I had always wondered how clubs ended up with certain zones. I wonder if we're being dudded out of Nathan Buckley again in this team, given he's tied to NT under state-of-origin rules and the Bears had NT as a priority-pick zone for a while.

Originally posted by Roylion
From my reading we definitely would not have won a premiership, much less two.

It depends on what the other revised teams would have looked like. Although the above side isn't as good as our current team, it would still be one of the better combinations in the current competition.

On paper that team wouldn't have won a flag. Some of those players are duds. You would need more idea of other players who make up emergencies and the full team list before you can be absolutely sure, but that starting 22 wouldn't make the finals.

Originally posted by SpecialBruce
On paper that team wouldn't have won a flag. Some of those players are duds. You would need more idea of other players who make up emergencies and the full team list before you can be absolutely sure, but that starting 22 wouldn't make the finals.

Of course that team would have made the finals. The core-nucleus of our stars is still in the team (Voss, Akermanis, C.Scott, B.Scott, etc., etc.).

Having one or two "duds" in the side at times never seriously held us back over the last few years, and I wouldn't particularly say that the above team is loaded with hacks either - neither is there any one player who stands out as being absolutely useless. When compared to even current teams, the above squad still rates fairly well - plus you need to consider the changes made to other teams under the same conditions.

Neither can you under-rate the fact that the millions spent on the coaching team is also a huge factor in the club's current success. A number of our current stars were fairly average players prior to the current coaching regime.

yeah i saw that story... quite funny hey...
i looked @ the front page & didnt realise what was different on the front page.. & then i was like... well its obviously that cindy (crawf) was in a geelong outfit.. LOL

i also liked the draft bit abotu what they were really saying in place of what they said.. that was funnny...........

If you zoned out the coaches we would end up with Wayne Brittian, interestingly.

How could we have Riewoldt in this situation? Wasn't the reason why we didn't have him the fact that he DIDN'T come under zoning rules?

Originally posted by CarterS
How could we have Riewoldt in this situation? Wasn't the reason why we didn't have him the fact that he DIDN'T come under zoning rules?

It was stated in my first post, that when putting this team together that the Brisbane Lions were assumed to have had Queensland + Fitzroy's old Victorian recruiting zones of Hampden (SW Victoria) and the eastern suburbs of Bulleen-Doncaster.

Under this scenario, Riewoldt therefore would have been zoned to Brisbane.

The reason that he wasn't picked up a priority zone pick a couple of years ago, was because he played for a club that was located more than 50 km from the Brisbane GPO. However in the article I was speaking about, this 50 km limit was not considered. It was assumed that Brisbane had all of Queensland.

Originally posted by Roylion
It was stated in my first post, that when putting this team together that the Brisbane Lions were assumed to have had Queensland + Fitzroy's old Victorian recruiting zones of Hampden (SW Victoria) and the eastern suburbs of Bulleen-Doncaster.

Under this scenario, Riewoldt therefore would have been zoned to Brisbane.

The reason that he wasn't picked up a priority zone pick a couple of years ago, was because he played for a club that was located more than 50 km from the Brisbane GPO. However in the article I was speaking about, this 50 km limit was not considered. It was assumed that Brisbane had all of Queensland.

Ok I didn't read your post entirely before replying but you didn't have to spell out the Riewoldt situation.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back