NFL Peyton Manning 2009 NFL MVP

Remove this Banner Ad

Congratulations are due, as Peyton Manning wins his record setting fourth NFL MVP.

Congrats to the great man, i was always fairly confident hed win it despite some of the debates on this board surrounding the issue.

Brees ran a very distant second, rivers then favre.

No votes for Johnson.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4811050

Tomlinson got it in 06, Alexander in 05, Faulk in 00, Davis in 98, Sanders in 97, Smith in 93, Thomas in 91. The last defensive player was over 20 years ago with the with Lawrence Taylor in 86.

Congratulations to Peyton Manning.

We should do a BigFooty MVP similar to the Tuesday Morning Quarterback Non-QB, Non-HB MVP.

There is a reason why the 2005 Divisional play-off rates as one of my all-time favourite games. Well done Peyton Manning.. but the elusive second ring is missing from his career of greatness..

PeytonManning19a.jpg

ahh, great memories. :)

:rolleyes: popularity vote

my top 5 in order

Chris Johnson
Drew Brees
Peyton Manning
Charles Woodson
Aaron Rodgers/Phillip Rivers (too close to call IMO)

Don't quote me on this, but I agree with you Riggy. :)

Whilst I don't agree with it, I can accept there's an argument for Manning over Brees if just rating the QB's. However, any system that produces a landslide for one or the other is clearly a joke.

FWIW, I'd love to know on what criteria those that voted chose one over the other. Other than Manning's team winning more games I really can't split their overall performances (accepting my natural bias towards one player).

As for the far and away best RB in football not registering a vote, well that really tells you what a joke the voting system is.

Manning is a worthy winner from the perspective he plays at a high enough level to warrant winning the award but I just think there were a couple of others that managed a slightly higher level.

You telling me that Brett Farve had/is having a better season than Johnson? Or Rodgers?

The old bloke did have a good season no doubt but f.ck me its in the top 5 in the league. Popularity vote for sure.

Favre got one vote.

I.e. one person thought he was really good. Noone else necessarily rated him at all.

Don't quote me on this, but I agree with you Riggy. :)

Whilst I don't agree with it, I can accept there's an argument for Manning over Brees if just rating the QB's. However, any system that produces a landslide for one or the other is clearly a joke.

FWIW, I'd love to know on what criteria those that voted chose one over the other. Other than Manning's team winning more games I really can't split their overall performances (accepting my natural bias towards one player).

As for the far and away best RB in football not registering a vote, well that really tells you what a joke the voting system is.

Manning is a worthy winner from the perspective he plays at a high enough level to warrant winning the award but I just think there were a couple of others that managed a slightly higher level.

Apart from disagreeing on others managing a higher level, i dont think the voting results actually mean that the voters thought there was one dominant player. It could be a unanimous vote, with every person polled thinking it was a 51/49 decision after all.

Four time MVP, wow, is Peyton Manning perhaps the most under-appreciated superstar of American sports?

14-0 (14-2 is not a true reflection of his or the teams success), the undisputed leader of the team and organisation. I'm not sure how anyone thinks he shouldn't have won.

capt.29f8ec6d278e4abaa39805ac41bdc94d.mvp_football_ny153.jpg

Seriously this guy gets a tough rap for his cheesy commercials and good guy/vanilla image but he will push all-time greatest by the end of his career.

He doesn't date supermodels or make big headlines, yet he performs year in and year out. 12+ wins are 'expected' every year in a very thin roster that has had plenty of turnover and continues to produce. Seriously look at the players they have on the roster, rookie head coach... this is all Peyton, 14-0 and then shut it down. You can't dispute that. They are in that situation due to fat contracts, including his, but it continues to pay off for them. He means more to his team and its success than any other team in the league, pure and simple.

While he is playing he will never seem to live up to the hype of the past legends of the game whose reputations grow bigger than their careers actually were.

As for the MVP discussions it is a weakness of the game structure but it is also something found in many other sports that are dominated by players who are always around the ball (think mid-fielders, guards, home-run hitters). If a teams loses, the QB takes the rap and can lose his job, regardless of lacklustre runs games, offensive lines or receivers. I think you take the good with the bad - they cop it sweet. Just read the newspapers on McNabb tomorrow, or imagine what they would have said if Romo threw for 350 yds and the Cowboys lost. They'd want him out.

This brings me back to the good old days of Manning vs. Brady BigFooty discussions (hey GG, JD.... dspeed!! haha).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Old BF discussions do come back round in circles over a year or two.
I've never thought Manning was an overrated QB compared to Brady.
They both have had different upbringings in the NFL...coaching stability, rosters, weapons, degree of OCing, MVPs, SB wins, playoff records, etc.
I still and will always put Marino as the greatest of the "modern" era tho.
These days are also plenty softer aiding passing stats than 10-20-30-40 etc years ago, that also includes rules protecting QBs.

I still and will always put Marino as the greatest of the "modern" era tho.
These days are also plenty softer aiding passing stats than 10-20-30-40 etc years ago, that also includes rules protecting QBs.

Maybe, but as you wind the clock back things were less professional. Athletes less conditioned. Less scrutinised. Defensive schemes simplier* (I don't know that for a fact but you can only assume everything advances forward). So that all makes it harder to execute... some of those factors may help players also but I think overall it would be a tougher game mentally, if not physically.

It is the age old discussion though, and I'm not going to bite GG. haha

Four time MVP, wow, is Peyton Manning perhaps the most under-appreciated superstar of American sports?

14-0 (14-2 is not a true reflection of his or the teams success), the undisputed leader of the team and organisation. I'm not sure how anyone thinks he shouldn't have won.

Seriously this guy gets a tough rap for his cheesy commercials and good guy/vanilla image but he will push all-time greatest by the end of his career.

He doesn't date supermodels or make big headlines, yet he performs year in and year out. 12+ wins are 'expected' every year in a very thin roster that has had plenty of turnover and continues to produce. Seriously look at the players they have on the roster, rookie head coach... this is all Peyton, 14-0 and then shut it down. You can't dispute that. They are in that situation due to fat contracts, including his, but it continues to pay off for them. He means more to his team and its success than any other team in the league, pure and simple.

While he is playing he will never seem to live up to the hype of the past legends of the game whose reputations grow bigger than their careers actually were.

As for the MVP discussions it is a weakness of the game structure but it is also something found in many other sports that are dominated by players who are always around the ball (think mid-fielders, guards, home-run hitters). If a teams loses, the QB takes the rap and can lose his job, regardless of lacklustre runs games, offensive lines or receivers. I think you take the good with the bad - they cop it sweet. Just read the newspapers on McNabb tomorrow, or imagine what they would have said if Romo threw for 350 yds and the Cowboys lost. They'd want him out.

This brings me back to the good old days of Manning vs. Brady BigFooty discussions (hey GG, JD.... dspeed!! haha).

Peytontodanielz3.jpg

I can't believe people push the rookie coach bullshit.

His current HC might be a rookie as a HC, but he's been his one of Manning's coaches his entire career including being his QB coach. How in god's name does that disadvantage Peyton?

As for the roster being thin, that's even more of a cop-out. Manning has been blessed with A grade offensive weapons his entire career. Clarke is an elite TE, Wayne an elite WR. The other receivers are mainly first round picks.

I really can't believe some of the Manning mythology. It's actually rather sickening (& ignorant)

Over 2,000 yds rushing in a team that started 0-6 and barely went .500, has one of the weaker receiver group, changed QB mid way and he couldn't get in the top 4 !!! What a joke.

Its a QB award, rarelt RB's are gonna get it unless thaey break records that season, like Alexander and LT did a few years back. Manning did deserve it but not in as easy fashion as he did win it.

Over 2,000 yds rushing in a team that started 0-6 and barely went .500, has one of the weaker receiver group, changed QB mid way and he couldn't get in the top 4 !!! What a joke.

It isn't awarded based on story line either. I see it to be an award for the most influential player to his teams success... most valuable... a player that has created wins that has ultimately got his team to the playoffs.

I don't see how the starting record of 0-6 is relevant to him being awarded the title. UNLESS the team makes the playoffs, then I'd be listening to the 'value' of all those yards. Without the success its just a nice stat at the end of the day.

It isn't awarded based on story line either. I see it to be an award for the most influential player to his teams success... most valuable... a player that has created wins that has ultimately got his team to the playoffs.

I don't see how the starting record of 0-6 is relevant to him being awarded the title. UNLESS the team makes the playoffs, then I'd be listening to the 'value' of all those yards. Without the success its just a nice stat at the end of the day.

agree

Remove this Banner Ad

Back