NFL Peyton Manning 2009 NFL MVP

Remove this Banner Ad

Its a QB award, rarelt RB's are gonna get it unless thaey break records that season, like Alexander and LT did a few years back. Manning did deserve it but not in as easy fashion as he did win it.

Single season total yards and 5th rushing i think should be good enough.
That's back-to-back MVPs Manning didn't deserve

Lol, but i still think the whole awards structure should get a shake-up.
Have MVP awards for every position, then out of those winners one of them wins the overall MVP.
At least that way you get those other players and neglected positions get awards and greater recognition.

Well that would be the Pro Bowl mate. But that has no credibility and is a whole other issue.

But that is what the Pro Bowl is supposed to accomplish so maybe starting there would achieve what you are looking for. :rolleyes:

Lol, but i still think the whole awards structure should get a shake-up.
Have MVP awards for every position, then out of those winners one of them wins the overall MVP.
At least that way you get those other players and neglected positions get awards and greater recognition.

Isn't the All-Pro team enough recognition?

No, that's recognition.
Im talking about a single MVP awarded to each position, and all presented equally on NFL.com on the same day, which is different to selecting a bunch of players from one position into the pro-bowl.

Like...
MVP OT: one person
MVP IL (interior lineman): one person
MVP DT: one person
MVP DE: one person
MVP ILB: one person
etc

I like the Idea to be honest.

Similar to the brownlow, the MVP is basically a QB orientated award. No doubting Manning had a good season, MVP worthy but there's a lot of guys on the other side of the ball that could have an argument that they don't get the look in and have had just as good a year.

No, that's recognition.
Im talking about a single MVP awarded to each position, and all presented equally on NFL.com on the same day, which is different to selecting a bunch of players from one position into the pro-bowl.

Like...
MVP OT: one person
MVP IL (interior lineman): one person
MVP DT: one person
MVP DE: one person
MVP ILB: one person
etc

check out page 246 & 247 of the NFL bible GG. Not exactly one person but sheesh, how much hair splitting is required in giving the nod to ONE DE when 2 play that position per sae?

Lol.

Patriots fans feeling a little edgey about where their boy fits in the debate now?

I'm sure 'our boi' is happy to have 3 rings and 1 MVP, rather than 4 MVPs and 1 ring (at this stage). Call me crazy...

188397745v6_350x350_Front.jpg

check out page 246 & 247 of the NFL bible GG. Not exactly one person but sheesh, how much hair splitting is required in giving the nod to ONE DE when 2 play that position per sae?

Well they only give one MVP out to the QB dont they? You don't see MVP Manning AND Brees, do you? Hence, THE best at every position.
So you have a list then...

Manning, Willis, Chris Johnson, Witten, Allen, J.Thomas, etc etc. All standing there with their awards in nice Armani suits, being photographed, and then a GOLD LOGIE type MVP awarded to one of those winners for the overall MVP.

Perhaps they wait until they actually get named before promoting them...

Exactly, and it's like page 54 type news on NFL.com, compared to the UNVEILING of the MVP award which is center stage. I dont think i even know who won all-pro honors the last few years in any category, that's how unhyped it is.

Could ANYONE here name them without resorting to the NFL Bible....dont cheat Woodson....or trying to wiki/google/nfl.com search it???

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lol.

Patriots fans feeling a little edgey about where their boy fits in the debate now?

Manning can keep his MVPs, even with his superbowl he has been fairly useless in the Playoffs, and if they manage to win this week (not like he has gone 1 and done before?) then it's just going to be another loss to the Chargers

edit: when is d-MVP going to get annoucned?

I like the Idea to be honest.

Similar to the brownlow, the MVP is basically a QB orientated award. No doubting Manning had a good season, MVP worthy but there's a lot of guys on the other side of the ball that could have an argument that they don't get the look in and have had just as good a year.

And the whole reason why we even have defensive stats and OL stats these days is because once upon a time they DIDNT have any stats, and the players couldnt push for better salaries as compensation for having good years. And these MVP awards Im proposing would add to that. A guy like P.Willis winning say 4 ILB MVP awards in his first 6 years it would allow him to become a marquee paid player up there with the offensive players salaries.

We all know Pats fans will be rooting for the Ravens.. as long as Peyton missing out another opportunity, the debate will rage on with WHO's BETTER, WHO's BEST... thank god we have The WHO to play @ HT in Supabah XLIV.

Maybe Roger Daltrey has the answer? will he be singing for Peyton... (Won't Get Fooled Again) or will he sing for Tom Tom.. (You Better You Bet).. then again, Big Ben can't be left out.. :)p) ...(Who are You) ?? TWo is better than ONe.. anyway, anywhere,anyhow.

Well they only give one MVP out to the QB dont they? You don't see MVP Manning AND Brees, do you? Hence, THE best at every position.
So you have a list then...

Manning, Willis, Chris Johnson, Witten, Allen, J.Thomas, etc etc. All standing there with their awards in nice Armani suits, being photographed, and then a GOLD LOGIE type MVP awarded to one of those winners for the overall MVP.

Check out pages #536 & #537 GG..

Associated press awards for OPTY, OPRPY ect.. FWIW, the QB or RB will forever have a stranglehold on the MVP award but god knows how the strike season of 1982 was awarded to a Kicker?? :eek:

We all know Pats fans will be rooting for the Ravens.. as long as Peyton missing out another opportunity, the debate will rage on with WHO's BETTER, WHO's BEST... thank god we have The WHO to play @ HT in Supabah XLIV.

Maybe Roger Daltrey has the answer? will he be singing for Peyton... (Won't Get Fooled Again) or will he sing for Tom Tom.. (You Better You Bet).. then again, Big Ben can't be left out.. :)p) ...(Who are You) ?? TWo is better than ONe.. anyway, anywhere,anyhow.

well that's just confusing?
Tom Brady hasn't had any rules changed (the Brady rule doesn't count haha) to make it easier for him to set records.

I'm sure 'our boi' is happy to have 3 rings and 1 MVP, rather than 4 MVPs and 1 ring (at this stage). Call me crazy...

Sure.

Unfortunately, looks like he wont have the chance to add to those three any time soon.

As time goes on, it becomes more and more apparent that Tom Brady isnt the football god he was being hyped up as.

Sure.

Unfortunately, looks like he wont have the chance to add to those three any time soon.

As time goes on, it becomes more and more apparent that Tom Brady isnt the football god he was being hyped up as.

:confused: Who hypes up a Sixth round pick?? :rolleyes:

Tom Brady was a 2000 draft Round 6 BARGAIN if anything!! That speaks volumes in any person's language.

Something that does take some gloss off Brady is how Cassel put up Brady-numbers and entered the pro-bowl coming off the bench. Ie, system QB.

Brady and Manning look ordinary when their OL's are porous. Manning has the better ability and brains, but Brady also has a killer instinct that Manning lacks.

Brady pros: had zero WRs for a long time, multiple OCs.
Manning cons: had stable elite WR/TE and coaching staff.
Brady cons: system QB, spygate, OL time in the pocket that defined his style/play to wait and wait to hit an open receiver.
Manning pros: no one knows or OCs as much as he does irrespective of stability/WRs.

Rivers to me is the ultimate prototypical All-American QB of the current generation.

:confused: Who hypes up a Sixth round pick?? :rolleyes:

Tom Brady was a 2000 draft Round 6 BARGAIN if anything!! That speaks volumes in any person's language.

Where he was picked is irrelevant to the discussion at hand Woodson, try to keep up.

At more than one point in his career, there have been some who argued that hes the greatest qb of all time, thats the hype im referring to.

Ive often wondered about the Peyton weapons debate.

Is it chicken or egg. Is there any guarantee that these guys are half the players they are without Peyton tossing them the ball? We've never seen most of them without Peyton. On the flipside, hes been there for so long that we can say that these specific players arent the cause of his success.

Of course, the Colts place such a high premium on offensive players with first round picks most years that its hard to tell which it is, Peyton making them look good, them making him look good, or a bit of both.

Where he was picked is irrelevant to the discussion at hand Woodson, try to keep up.

At more than one point in his career, there have been some who argued that hes the greatest qb of all time, thats the hype im referring to.

Is that when he was 14-3 in the Playoffs, with 3 rings, 2 sueprbowl MVPs and the single season TD record? and GG, a good QB makes the line much better.
Cassel got sacked more than Brady in about 3 to 4 games then Brady did all 07. I think the final totals where about 60 in 08 to 17 in 07

STKO...

I wouldnt say the WR thing making Peyton/Brady look good/bad...but more degree of difficulty.
Easier for Peyton, harder for Brady.

But where Peyton has elevated his game in the end, that is moot, cos Peyton NOW is a complete QB (knowledge and ability), could be plonked into the Raiders team and make DHB, etc look good (as long as the OL was decent). But early on, it was easier for him than Brady by far having all that stability, top-notch receivers to help etc.

But truly, both Brady and Manning would be mediocre if they were in teams that had s**t OLs. Brady especially has benefited greatly from such a great OL. To be able to stand in the pocket for 10 seconds and wait and wait is a huge advantage. Eventually any WR, mediocre or not, would get open by that stage. Manning too has benefited from this.

Why you also have many who honestly assess Montana as a) just a system QB, and b) benefited from the system and Rice/etc.

Compared to Marino who had no one of any worth, but who was just a god at QB. His accuracy, reading, and quick release were second to none. He would put the ball so perfectly that the WRs didnt have to do much at all, any standard of WR made to look better due to that impeccable passing. Also, teams used to just key in and gameplan against Marino completely, like they did with Barry Sanders, but those two guys would consistently defy and crush, unstoppable.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back