Sep 23, 2004
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
San Antonio, Redbacks
Someone has to do it ;)

West vs North at Richmond Tonight
For the Bloods Brad Crouch is named as the Centre and Rory Laird has been named on an extended interchange bench for what would be his league debut. For the utensils Lewis Johnston is named at CHB and James Craig as the first Ruck. Matthew Wright will also line up for the Roosters.

Woodville-West Torrens v Glenelg at Woodville 2pm Saturday
For the Eagles Chris Knights has been named on a wing and Luke Thompson at Full Back. For the Tigers Jarryd Lyons has been named on a Wing. Sam Shaw will also line up for the Bays should he not make the Crows final squad. In the reserves Cameron Ellis-Yolmen, Sam Martyn and Nick Joyce have all been named for the Eagles.

Centrals v South at Elizabeth 2pm Saturday ABCTV
Brad Symes appears to be the only Crow in the league game starting as a ruck rover for the Doggies. In the Reserves Dylan Orval and Ben Dowdell will line up for Centrals and South respectively.

Port v Norwood at Alberton 2pm Sunday
The sole Crow named is Luke Brown in a back pocket for the Legs.

Quiet thread when Sturt have the Bye:eek:

No footy for Jaensch, Tambling, Riley, McIntyre, Kerridge and Jenkins then.

I'm at Richmond, North by 15 at half time.

Crouch was one of the better players early but I think he was stretchered off early q2. It looked like he got a whack in the head so I wasn't too worried, but I just heard someone on the boundary saying it was
his knee... Fingers crossed

Rory Laird is making his debut. So far at half time, North Adelaide are leading by 15 points.

Rory Laird, 8 touches with 2 marks and 2 clearances.
Brad Crouch, 9 touches with 1 mark.
Matthew Wright, 14 touches with 5 marks and 1 clearance.
Lewis Johnston, 6 touches with 3 marks.

In happier news, Laird has looked excellent. Clever player with really clean disposal. Probably had 6-8 touches. Wright has been solid, probably a bit too good for this level but hasn't dominated. Craigs ruckwork has been excellent but probably hasn't had more than 50% tog. Johnston has been pretty awful, turned it over a few times and gave away a really silly 25. Lucky spud Schmidt missed the resulting shot.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

hobbled off slowly holding the thigh. knew it straight away. sorely missed too.

laird looked composed on debut. didnt get overawed, played well. fine debut.

it was bricknell who got stretchered off in the 2nd quarter if anyone was wondering.

Ah sorry, my mistake. To be honest I didn't think it looked like Crouch on the stretcher at the time, but I didn't see him hobble off as you described and when I couldn't find him out there after the stretcher incident, I figured it must have been him on the stretcher.

Laird was just superb. Found enough of it, good mix of inside and outside, and used the ball very well. Can think of 3 goal assists he had off the top of my head. He kicked to advantage inside 50 relly well. Brad Fisher was able to take a couple of nice grabs becuase Laird had put the ball on the right side of the contest for him. Really, really impressed.

Crouch was good until he got injured, a couple of explosive runs through the middle of the ground, but tended to blaze when he kicked. Don't get too excited by the fact he got 9 touches in a quarter. It's good, but probably 4-5 of them were in one passage of play where Westies handballed around in circles in the back pocket.

Wright was very good, like I said at half time looked a cut above the SANFL. He was very good at dropping the eyes and hitting a teammate 20-30m away, to the point where I would have preferred (as a North fan) him to be a bit more selfish and take on a shot at goal at times. Went forward late and kicked a crucial goal from a set shot 35 out near the boundary line.

Craig rucked brilliantly when he was out there, his pure ruckwork is great. At SANFL level. Whether he could reproduce it against bigger, stronger opposition is questionable. But he does have a very nice leap and is pretty strongly built. He had very little impact around the ground though, there was one nice pickup and handball, and another time he got a free and tried to draw the man on the mark and made a mess of it. Besides that I don't remember him getting a touch. It's weird because he's a co-ordinated guy, it just seems like he doesn't quite know where to go to get the ball.

Johnston. Hmmm Johnston. Had zero impact when forward, he kicked a goal from one of those dodgy advantages where everyone stops for the whistle and the ball rolls and someone picks it up and kicks it. Looked ok when he went back, spoiled well a couple of times and used it well when he got it. My problem with him... and I don't know because today's the first time I've seen him play... but he strikes me as a bit of a twat. He seemed to argue with the runner a few times when he got a message from the bench, carried himself with some attitude, just generally seemed to think he was too good to be there. He came off late and didn't get a handslap from teammates like others did, was probably the only player who didn't get called by a nickname (they just called him "Lewis"). I don't know, I'm probably reading way too much into things and I'm probably wrong, it just seemed like nobody liked him very much.

That's my thoughts from the game, anything else just ask me. Sorry if I gave anyone a fright with the Crouch stretcher thing!

Or the boys are pushing themselves hard to push for selection at the Crows.

Or.... Injuries happen in football.

A very astute comment Mattrox.

Research indicates collision injuries(broken bones, dislocated shoulders, ACL/PCLs, damaged ankle ligaments ) are random. We have been very lucky this year (so far). There has been some conjecture that strain type injuries (hammies, groin strains, calf strains etc) are due to the intensity of training. There has been no evidence to supportb this theory.

There is however a higher incidence of these type of injuries in players under 20 and over 30.

Seriously?!

I guess if he had to get injured it's not the worst time. Still has plenty of time to recover, no real need to get back in to SANFL until it's fully healed. Hopefully not too bad though!

It is just worring as hamstring injuries seem to take forever to come 100% and then the player seems prone to have that injury more often.

Whatever the cause, its certainly not good news.

Whilst the chance of it recurring is higher than for players who have never had hammies, there has been a massive improvement in recent years by AFL clubs preventing this happening.

Anything other than an ACL, shoulder dislocation or the black plague (possibly parvo virus) shouldn't be a problem.

Johnston. Hmmm Johnston. Had zero impact when forward, he kicked a goal from one of those dodgy advantages where everyone stops for the whistle and the ball rolls and someone picks it up and kicks it. Looked ok when he went back, spoiled well a couple of times and used it well when he got it. My problem with him... and I don't know because today's the first time I've seen him play... but he strikes me as a bit of a twat. He seemed to argue with the runner a few times when he got a message from the bench, carried himself with some attitude, just generally seemed to think he was too good to be there. He came off late and didn't get a handslap from teammates like others did, was probably the only player who didn't get called by a nickname (they just called him "Lewis"). I don't know, I'm probably reading way too much into things and I'm probably wrong, it just seemed like nobody liked him very much.

That's my thoughts from the game, anything else just ask me. Sorry if I gave anyone a fright with the Crouch stretcher thing!

I have heard similar things about him before.... This does not surprise me at all

would be our luck that the first actual gun (top 5ish) recruit we have in ages has an injury plagued career. *touch wood*

Remove this Banner Ad

Back