Preview Do or Die vs Dons pre match discussion thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

If we play near our best, I think we win. If the we play like last two weeks, most likely lose.

I'm not as confident as I would like to be - was hoping for a much more impressive display against the Dogs after a flat game against Demons. Could either be form loss or lack of desire due to the opposition. I'm hoping for the latter.

Need to play four strong quarters this week, with so much for both teams to play for this is a massive (and tough) game.

IMO our 2 most important players this week are Taz and Hansen. I forsee a rough day at the office for Dish with go go gadget arms Fletcher coming in 3rd man when he even gets remotely close to the ball. If one or ideally both can get on top early and kick multiple goals it will really put Essendon's backline under pressure and would go along way to putting us in a great position to win the match.

Essendon have probably played 2 bad games this season so this will be a massive test.

IMO our 2 most important players this week are Taz and Hansen. I forsee a rough day at the office for Dish with go go gadget arms Fletcher coming in 3rd man when he even gets remotely close to the ball. If one or ideally both can get on top early and kick multiple goals it will really put Essendon's backline under pressure and would go along way to putting us in a great position to win the match.

Essendon have probably played 2 bad games this season so this will be a massive test.

I think Dish will play the decoy this week allowing the other two to kick on.

Our forwards had better get some decent separation this week.

Fletcher loves nothing more than rolling around the backline picking off high balls.

We need to isolate him.

I think Dish will play the decoy this week allowing the other two to kick on.

Why?

I would back Drew in against any of the essendon defenders one out.

Our forwards had better get some decent separation this week.

Fletcher loves nothing more than rolling around the backline picking off high balls.

We need to isolate him.
That's what coaches have been trying to do for years. That or trying to drag him up the ground

They're rarely successful, what makes you think "Bon" will be any different to geniuses like Malthouse, Matthews, Worsfold, Clarkson among many other legends?

That's what coaches have been trying to do for years. That or trying to drag him up the ground

They're rarely successful, what makes you think "Bon" will be any different to geniuses like Malthouse, Matthews, Worsfold, Clarkson among many other legends?

Fletcher is a zone defender that needs to be made accountable.

There's a reason he rarely gets a hard match up.

Petrie will kick his head in if he gets him one out in the goal square.

Fletcher is a zone defender that needs to be made accountable.

There's a reason he rarely gets a hard match up.

Petrie will kick his head in if he gets him one out in the goal square.
Which he won't, due to Fletcher taking Tarrant and just zone off Tarrant and cut off the majority of balls towards Petrie

Which he won't, due to Fletcher taking Tarrant and just zone off Tarrant and cut off the majority of balls towards Petrie

Sweet.

He goes to Tarrant, then Robbie will go and sit out on the wide flank and it will picnic time for Petrie and Hansen.

When Fletcher zones back we just play short through Tarrant.

He is an excellent long kick for goal.

I personally think Fletcher will go to Hansen.

Sweet.

He goes to Tarrant, then Robbie will go and sit out on the wide flank and it will picnic time for Petrie and Hansen.

When Fletcher zones back we just play short through Tarrant.

He is an excellent long kick for goal.

I personally think Fletcher will go to Hansen.
Just like last time. Oh wait.

Just like last time. Oh wait.

Yeah, oh wait.

Hamish McIntosh played.

Hansen didn't.

The Hansen, Petrie, Tarrant combination average 9 goals a game at Docklands.

Yeah, oh wait.

Hamish McIntosh played.

Hansen didn't.

The Hansen, Petrie, Tarrant combination average 9 goals a game at Docklands.
My point was that Fletcher took Tarrant last time. Pears was on H-Mac for the majority of the game champ :thumbsu:.

Another possibility is that we play all four of Pears, Hooker, Carlisle and Fletcher in the back line, with Dusty playing loose

My point was that Fletcher took Tarrant last time. Pears was on H-Mac for the majority of the game champ :thumbsu:.

Another possibility is that we play all four of Pears, Hooker, Carlisle and Fletcher in the back line, with Dusty playing loose

Gees I hope so.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Firrito held Hurley last time - repeat.
McMahon held Crameri - repeat.
Stanton was BOG - He's gone.
Zaharakis had 25 touches - He's gone.

Winderlich and Howlett are gone.

Grima will go to Gumbleton.

Firrito held Hurley last time - repeat.
McMahon held Crameri - repeat.
Stanton was BOG - He's gone.

Grima will go to Gumbleton.
Stanton will probably play this week...

If Crameri had kicked 3.3 instead of 0.5 with one OTF, would you say McMahon held him?

and by this token:
Hooker held Petrie last time- repeat

He did as he pleased last time. He's a massive loss.

No Zaharakis - 25 disposals
No Howlett - there's 20 disposals, 5 clearances and 8 tackles gone.
No Winderlich - 4 goals

Nah, he won't.

He could get 30 disposals out on the 50 metre boundary for all I care.

Completely different forward structure this time.
Yes, he will

Crameri had 6 shots at goal- 2 easy, 4 hard. When a bloke does this, you can't say he "held him"

So is ours- We'll have Davey in for Monfries and Gumbleton in for McVeigh. So by the same token, you can't claim that Firrito will hold Hurley and McMahon will hold Crameri again.

Will Thompson play on Ryder? God I hope so, just sit it on Paddy's head all day and watch him jump and take easy grabs, or get infringed against :thumbsu:

Game will be won in the midfield. Neither backline is convincing when under pressure.

I think we have the advantage on the outside, but the Scum have a slight edge inside with Ziebell out.

Hopefully we run the game out better with an extra days rest, and not coming back from interstate.

Yes, he will

Nope. Hasn't had the required rehab period and a flare up will see him miss all the way to the finals. Essendon aren't going to risk it.

My mail is good.

Crameri had 6 shots at goal- 2 easy, 4 hard. When a bloke does this, you can't say he "held him"

McMahon couldn't give a stuff about Crameri getting a kick from the 50 metre boundary. Neither could I.

So is ours- We'll have Davey in for Monfries and Gumbleton in for McVeigh. So by the same token, you can't claim that Firrito will hold Hurley and McMahon will hold Crameri again.

Davey is a spud. Then again, so is Mcveigh.
Gumbleton needs it lace out. Monfries would be a bigger concern.

Will Thompson play on Ryder? God I hope so, just sit it on Paddy's head all day and watch him jump and take easy grabs, or get infringed against :thumbsu:

2 marks inside 50 for 1 goal. I can wear that again.

I'm happy to have Thompson play on Ryder if Bellchambers goes head to head with Goldstein.

Nope. Hasn't had the required rehab period and a flare up will see him miss all the way to the finals. Essendon aren't going to risk it.

My mail is good.
He was rested this week so he could get up this week. And we wouldn't risk our 3rd best midfielder to make finals?

My mail is better
McMahon couldn't give a stuff about Crameri getting a kick from the 50 metre boundary. Neither could I.
He had 6 shots on goal. That's your definition of "held"
Davey is a spud. The again, so is Mcveigh.
Gumbleton needs it lace out. Monfries would be a bigger concern.
Hansen is a spud. See I can lie too. Gumby's strength is his marking, so anything over waist high I'd back him to mark.
2 marks inside 50 for 1 goal. I can wear that again.

I'm happy to have Thompson play on Ryder if Bellchambers goes head to head with Goldstein.
Played majority of the time in the ruck last time, split was 70/30 for his TOG by my reckoning, which was high 80's. This time it will be the opposite way around. So roughly 30 minutes for 2 marks I50 and 1 goal. Imagine how many marks he'll grab and goals he'll kick if he plays about 70-80 minutes up there instead :thumbsu:. By natural progression it should be 6 mark and 3-4 goals.

Yeah, I'll take that too, Bellchambers just got more hitouts than Adelaide combined :thumbsu:

There is no way Essendon will bring in 6 players coming back from injury. Surely they are not that stupid. That would surely equate to football suicide. Especially given that Hocking will go off injured early, as always.

I'd be happy as Larry if they included upwards of 6 underdone players. Sure it will be hard in the first few quarters but once the 3rd quarter kicks in, we'll be running alllll over them.

C'mon Kangas, this is our time.

There is no way Essendon will bring in 6 players coming back from injury. Surely they are not that stupid. That would surely equate to football suicide. Especially given that Hocking will go off injured early, as always.

I'd be happy as Larry if they included upwards of 6 underdone players. Sure it will be hard in the first few quarters but once the 3rd quarter kicks in, we'll be running alllll over them.

C'mon Kangas, this is our time.
Umm, 3 were rested this week so that they could be fit for this week.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back