Worst area you have been to?

Remove this Banner Ad

Varanasi is amazing.

You really can't describe what it is like. Have to go there and experiance it for yourself.

India is such a great country to back pack through. Havn't experianced anything like it anywhere else I have ever been. Incredible.
I can imagine that backpacking through India now, would be a lot like backpacking in Africa in the 90's, travelling through a place that is starting to wake up to it's potential, albeit a potential that is not always realised.

City centre of Naples. Mafia has completely ruined this poor city. There are piles of rubbish everywhere which they have to set on fire at night because the mafia has some sort of hold over the rubbish collectors so they can't come and clean up. Saw a cat's body, kids picking up s**t out of the gutter and throwing it. Place has an absolutely awful vibe, but its definitely a a good eye opener. Italy isn't necessarily the cleanest country around, but bloody hell, Naples is beyond feral. Would hate to be there at night.

And speaking of Davoren Park, there is a good thread on here about it.

City centre of Naples. Mafia has completely ruined this poor city. There are piles of rubbish everywhere which they have to set on fire at night because the mafia has some sort of hold over the rubbish collectors so they can't come and clean up. Saw a cat's body, kids picking up s**t out of the gutter and throwing it. Place has an absolutely awful vibe, but its definitely a a good eye opener. Italy isn't necessarily the cleanest country around, but bloody hell, Naples is beyond feral. Would hate to be there at night.

And speaking of Davoren Park, there is a good thread on here about it.

Yeah Naples is a shithole, dirty and the locals are unfriendly. We ordered one of the worst pizzas I've ever eaten at a restaurant there and I'm sure they were either trolling us or a front for some mafia drug cartel.

Only spent one day and night there thankfully before going down to Sorrento and the Amalfi Coast which has much nicer scenery at least.

I can't say I liked Italy much at all, expensive, rude locals, overrated food and s**t beaches. They might have some decent roman ruins but you get over them pretty quickly.

Yeah Naples is a shithole, dirty and the locals are unfriendly. We ordered one of the worst pizzas I've ever eaten at a restaurant there and I'm sure they were either trolling us or a front for some mafia drug cartel.

Only spent one day and night there thankfully before going down to Sorrento and the Amalfi Coast which has much nicer scenery at least.

I can't say I liked Italy much at all, expensive, rude locals, overrated food and s**t beaches. They might have some decent roman ruins but you get over them pretty quickly.

Loved the mountain towns in Italy and the cities of the North, the south coastal routes not so much, that includes Sorrento.

Not violent but by far the saddesrt place I've been to is Swansea in Wales... the place is depressing and the people seem to be too, there all stuck 50 years ago in the UK world and forced employment stimulus and incentives for business to operate thee keeps the city alive.... they'd be better off letting everyone leave.

Not violent but by far the saddesrt place I've been to is Swansea in Wales... the place is depressing and the people seem to be too, there all stuck 50 years ago in the UK world and forced employment stimulus and incentives for business to operate thee keeps the city alive.... they'd be better off letting everyone leave.

I watched this and now every time I see a player sign for Swansea City, I think "why?" Y'know, aside from the Premier League soccer, the status, the money...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I lived in Bosmont for a half a year and it wasn't really too bad. Different set of things to look out for compared to here but certainly not the worst area I've been to.

Although this was a while ago and I do hear it's gotten worse.

I've been to a few scary places, but the one that really hit me was Vancouver's East End. More so because it just came out of nowhere literally 30 seconds from the main tourist strip than anything else. Just totally unprepared for it and suddenly you're in it.

Yeah. East Hastings is pretty grim.

Been to parts of Glasgow that are grim as * - Easterhouse, Maryhill, Possil Park.

Walking through a Loyalist estate in North Belfast in the middle of the night not pleasant.

South Beirut pretty hectic but not unsafe.

Fitzroy Crossing, Western Australia can't even get cops to transfer there.
Spent a bit of my childhood up in old Fitzroy, Not a great place

Baltimore.

Watching 'The Wire' gave me a real negative opinion of the place, which I found really hard to shake off once I was there. Found it really rough and run down. Pissed down with rain too, which didn't help at all.

Was about to say the same, Mate accidently caught a "taxi" which he got charged 40 dollars for a 10 minute drive, Cops everywhere, just dirty, run down, Hotels/hostels were absolutly impossible to book so we're standing out at night in a pretty rough area (3 blonde haired australians and me with travel bags stuck out pretty badly)

Wouldnt recommend going anywhere in Baltimore

Was about to say the same, Mate accidently caught a "taxi" which he got charged 40 dollars for a 10 minute drive, Cops everywhere, just dirty, run down, Hotels/hostels were absolutly impossible to book so we're standing out at night in a pretty rough area (3 blonde haired australians and me with travel bags stuck out pretty badly)

Wouldnt recommend going anywhere in Baltimore

We stayed on the waterfront and we got warned not to go too many blocks up because then it dangerous. I also found Baltimore really claustrophobic. Felt like they'd built the buildings way too close together. Just a run down, dump of a place.

We met a couple of blokes in Austin at the hostel we were staying at who were from New Zealand and Australia respectively and they had travelled through Baltimore as well a few years ago. Lol they said that they witnessed a shooting there whilst drinking at a bar or something. Got brought in by the police for questioning, whilst everyone else was let go. Whilst they were questioning the Kiwi, an African American copper came in, looked at this white New Zealand guy, turns to the other detective and goes "you let those black guys go, but kept these crackers.?". Lol Kiwi guy was just pissing himself laughing, despite the situation he was in.

My Wife and I walked down a street n Kuala Lumpar near the Night Market that a taxi driver later told me was the most dangerous street in KL. It felt like all eyes were on us. I made my wife walk diagonally in front of me for safety. Scarey place.

Was this near an area called 'Bukit Bintang' by any chance? The night markets aren't far from it and I remember the surrounding area being full of brothels, ramshackle buildings, and dodgy-looking people (most likely drug dealers).

Soweto South Africa. Nearly half the population of metropolitan Jo'burg live there, mostly in tin/wooden shacks without electricity or running water. Speaks for itself.

When I went to Detroit, a few entire suburbs were pretty much ghost towns. Creepy place full of beaten-up old buildings where walking alone after dark is a big no-no.

Belfast was very glum and depressing when I went there many years ago, although it's probably changed now that the troubles are long gone.

Mate of mine, Belfast Pete, reckons Belfast is a great place if you know the town, but reckons it's hard on strangers because so many things amongst the locals go unsaid and are tacitly accepted.

Never had any problems in Belfast despite all the horror stories we heard but still found it a weird place and the locals weren't all that friendly when it comes to tourists. The streets in the city were almost deserted at night as apparently most people there get cabs everywhere rather than walk. Went to a Maccas there which had wreaths of flowers outside which we found out were for some people that were gunned down and killed there a few nights before which was slightly unnerving.

Other places in Ireland can be pretty dangerous too though, a mate of mine got mugged in Galway on his way back to our hostel. Seemed like a nice place but apparently the crime rate there is pretty high.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back