moses

Premiership Player
May 17, 2004
Home
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
GWS
What is the worst area you have ever been too which has made you feel really unsafe and uneasy? In high school we spent a night in the old Gladstone gaol north of Adelaide, creepy place. Please share

Inb4adelaide

Yeah, Davoren Park...felt like you were going to get carjacked at any moment.

South Hedland is pretty atrocious too...can't imagine it's improved in the last twelve years either.

sober on king st on a saturday night. if im drunk I dont notice the amount of seedy looking people but being sober its not a great place to be especially if you're a small dude.

I've been to a few scary places, but the one that really hit me was Vancouver's East End. More so because it just came out of nowhere literally 30 seconds from the main tourist strip than anything else. Just totally unprepared for it and suddenly you're in it.

Vancouver is home to the largest slum in North America. Per capita it is larger and worse then anything in the USA including Fynnt Michigan. Vancouver likes to keep this quiet, especially since the slum is located just one block over from its Gastown tourist strip. The hood used to be about 6 blocks long and walkable, now its 20 blocks long and I wouldnt walk there for money. The East Vancouver slum is literally jam packed with junkies. It has the highest rate of aids and hepatitis in North America.

An open-air drug market still thrives five minutes from a police station. The bathrooms of decrepit hotels still serve as shooting galleries for addicts. Prostitutes still offer their bodies from the curbside. Drug pushers still prey on the mentally diminished, multiplying the misery

Thousands of homeless people, drug dealers, prostitutes and rampant crime... averaged one death per day from drug overdoses in 1998. Since then it has only worsened.
Driving along a lovely green street through the city with the windows down and loving life. Watching all the happy people on the footpath and the parks next to the street, then suddenly in the course of crossing on road everything changes. The world one one side of this crossroad is green and lush and clean with quite a few police wandering around; the world on the other is void of law enforcement, utterly grey, and just absolute filth. I saw a homeless dishevelled man with a handful of change on his knees before a guy wearing - I s**t you not - a purple pimp cape. He got pimp slapped then is just crawling on his knees picking up these tiny coins. Next to that is about 5 hookers with no teeth and a bunch of guys banging on car doors wanting money. Was 50+ people taking shelter under dirty old newspaper that was strewn everywhere. There was NOBODY walking down the street who clearly didn't live there. Everyone was filthy. There were people shooting up sitting in the gutter.

There are regular murders reported and more that are never reported. Some drug addict killed 49 women before he got caught.

This was all happening at 11am. Scary as hell.

They call it "The money pit," because over $1.5 Billion has been spent on trying to fix it, but it just keeps expanding and getting worse.

The biggest Aboriginal Reserve in Canada.

They call it "The money pit," because over $1.5 Billion has been spent on trying to fix it, but it just keeps expanding and getting worse.
I could clean it up with a couple of law changes and it would cost a whole lot less. The "Bleeding Hearts" wouldn't like it.

My Wife and I walked down a street n Kuala Lumpar near the Night Market that a taxi driver later told me was the most dangerous street in KL. It felt like all eyes were on us. I made my wife walk diagonally in front of me for safety. Scarey place.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've been to a few scary places, but the one that really hit me was Vancouver's East End. More so because it just came out of nowhere literally 30 seconds from the main tourist strip than anything else. Just totally unprepared for it and suddenly you're in it.

...snip ...
The biggest Aboriginal Reserve in Canada.
Well, at least we know where Luongo went before Game 7 last year.

No mentions of South Central LA? Compton is the biggest shithole on earth. Ceduna a close second. I liked Coober pedy though.

Harlem is a bit dodgy, it's pretty much a black hood so if you're white you tend to get a few death stares but I never really felt too threatened, just a bit uneasy. I was only there during the day though, probably wouldn't want to be there at night or s**t could get real.

Strange how Harlem is right next to all the posh areas around Central Park where all the celebs live then nek minnit you're in a black ghetto.

Reminds me of this scene from National Lampoon's Vacation.

Went to the Bronx by myself. Not doing that again.

Some streets in Brooklyn were interesting too.

I nearly ended up in the Bronx by mistake once when I went to the wrong train platform.

I got a hint that I was in the wrong place when there were some shady looking black people on the platform that looked like they wanted to kill me but I decided to check with some little old black lady who looked the least likely to kill me and she spat back at me "this train's goin' to the Bronx". I knew then it was time to GTFO.

I nearly ended up in the Bronx by mistake once when I went to the wrong train platform.

I got a hint that I was in the wrong place when there were some shady looking black people on the platform that looked like they wanted to kill me but I decided to check with some little old black lady who looked the least likely to kill me and she spat back at me "this train's goin' to the Bronx". I knew then it was time to GTFO.
Haha yeah it's like that. I will never forget leaving there in a subway train that was packed shoulder to shoulder with me being the only white person. Every time I looked down the carriage I copped a death stare. Thank god I didn't walk the streets for too long. Was walking behind some guy with a rusty saw at one stage. Tried to get a photo of him but he turned around.

Varanasi, India, Ganges River.

5000 people in an intersection and a Swarmi asks me if I would 'like drugs'.

Went to the funeral pyres and watching funerals....wonder what would happen if a bus load of Indians turned up at an Aussie funeral. :rolleyes:

Beggars begging for a grain of rice...that's one grain of rice people.

And the B'B we stayed at had the most amazing array of locks on it because Westerners had been known to be kidnapped.

Aside from that the most amazing place in the world. :thumbsu:

Varanasi, India, Ganges River.

5000 people in an intersection and a Swarmi asks me if I would 'like drugs'.

Went to the funeral pyres and watching funerals....wonder what would happen if a bus load of Indians turned up at an Aussie funeral. :rolleyes:

Beggars begging for a grain of rice...that's one grain of rice people.

And the B'B we stayed at had the most amazing array of locks on it because Westerners had been known to be kidnapped.

Aside from that the most amazing place in the world. :thumbsu:

Varanasi is amazing.

You really can't describe what it is like. Have to go there and experiance it for yourself.

India is such a great country to back pack through. Havn't experianced anything like it anywhere else I have ever been. Incredible.

I have heard that most homeless people in Canada end up going to Vancouver as its the only city where you can survive during the winter.

Varanasi is amazing.

You really can't describe what it is like. Have to go there and experiance it for yourself.

India is such a great country to back pack through. Havn't experianced anything like it anywhere else I have ever been. Incredible.

Yep, as much as it was 'wtf' every 15 minutes, I loved every one of those 15 minutes and never ever felt unsafe as I do walking back to the car after a night game at Ethihad Stadium, Melbourne, Victoria, fricking Australia...:rolleyes:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back