Gillard's AWU/Wilson past about to haunt her?

Remove this Banner Ad

When did McLelland and Blewett (and even Shorten) become part of the Coalition?

Wilson and Blewett are both undoubtedly scumbags who were protected by the Union/Labor machine; but whether he's sexist or not is completely irrelevant. If that's the path she's going to go down and wants to personalize it; would you trust the word of a serial home wrecker?

This is actually getting funny-weird now.

The desperation of the Coalition, News Ltd, and the right wing nut jobs on the inter webs is palpable. You get the sense that they are running out of options, and the intense ferocity of the critique over the AWU issue is based on a recognition of weaponry slipping away.....

I mean, look at it this way. Gillard had no chance of forming a minority government, yet she did. Then, in a massive dummy-spit, it was an 'illegitimate' government that would never pass legislation, yet it did (more than Howard's majority government, in fact). Then Thomson would see her government fall, yet it didn't. Then Rudd would see her government fall, yet she survived it. Then the pokies reform was going to topple the government, yet it didn't. Then Slipper would see the government fall, yet it didn't. Then the Carbon Tax would see...well...the end of the world, yet it didn't and the Government's poll numbers have improved dramatically since it became a reality in July. And that is not even mentioning the recession we have been about to have for 6 years yet haven't. This 'scandal' (which deserves quotation marks as there is still not an official allegation against her) is so important because the haters know it is now coming down to left overs. There is nothing much to re-heat after this. Hence the desperation.

If the Coalition can't actually make a real charge this week, if they can't nail it real soon (after attempts a month ago, three years ago, ten years ago, two decades ago) then the AWU window is probably closed. Most average voters are miffed at what it is all about anyway, and already weary of it. I doubt they will indulge the Coalition on the issue much longer.

In fact, if it turns out that the Coalition can't make anything stick, then all they will have done is gifted Gillard two golden opportunities to undertake pressers where she can look very prime-minesterial defending allegations that she is comfortable defending as there seems to be no smoking gun. Massive free kick!

Abbott's strategy since losing the minority government has been to ram his way to the Lodge via smear and these types of scandal because he is so close. Yet he has failed so far, even with so much support in the mainstream media. Surely these loses are adding up. Fail to land a mortal blow on this 'issue' and there is not a helluva lot of ammo left.

And by the bye, after all the hoopla today, we are still in the exact same place on the 'scandal' as we were last month, last year, last decade, etc.

When pollies say they don't remember something it usually means it happened but they are not going to admit it until proof is supplied.

Funny how she now claims to be sure that no slush money found its way into her house renovations, because she had been through her receipts in even more detail, but she doesn't have her bank statements from the same period. How convenient!
lol how many 20yr old bank statements are you hanging onto, as a matter of interest? I'd be lucky to find last month's. London to a brick, if I went to the bank (whichever bank I was banking with 20yrs ago) they wouldn't have a record of the account anyway, because it's probably been closed for 18 years.

Until today I thought the PM had nothing to hide and this issue had a bit of a Gordon Grech stench to it. Her actions today were not those of someone who was being completely honest.

I have asked for further info, Jane. I think it is obviously not ideal practice but it happens. It is not clear that it is an automatic breach of fiduciary duty.

Thanks. Am really interested in your adjudication. The conflict of interest issue in relation to JG having been in 4-5 year relationship with Wilson while all this was happening has always raised questions for me, but since nobody else seem to be pursuing was thinking moi was just being old fashioned and puritanical:) .

fwiw, after yesterday my sense is that JG is getting into a gawd almighty mess - not with the general electorate, mind you, but with the caucus, the union honchos, partic AWU and most dangerously with the AWU people who have obviously been seething about what happened for the last 17 years.

Your lawyersweekly link just confirms it, imo. If it is the case that "If Wilson told her he was acting under the authority of the AWU then no conflict arises " then the question screams out :- when she found out in Aug/Sept 1995 that Wilson had conned her about the authorisation leading her to break up with him, why didn't she inform the AWU about the existence of the workplace reform association - immediately?
Her defence "I didn't have any evidence" - is the Craig Thomson defence and it just doesn't wash.

Hey Jane, someone you have on ignore wants to ask you a question, it's not offensive so I will help, at the risk of a card:

Do you think that today's presser - announced well in advance - allowed the gallery to ask any questions that were materially different to those put to her at the last presser when she supposedly ambushed the media?

I don't have anyone on Ignore :) It's just that I have developed a phobia about being drawn into fruitless, circular dialogue. Must be my ageing braincells - might be a sign of early onset dementia :) On the other hand the posters am phobic about all seem to be Greens or loony conspiracy theorists, so that might explain it. And also, still being willing to engage Blackcat in dialogue is about as much as a gal can handle.

As for the question, will have to bloviate on this tomorrow. I like looking at this stuff in detail and not rely on first impressions, so I had it on record. But alas Foxtel arrived in the middle to fix up a prob on my second set and without warning cut off the signal. Moi fumed and stormed around, but it took them 15 minutes to put it back on.

Recorded the APAC replay late last night - but fwiw, my first impression from what I saw was that the questions were a material advance on the questions put to her at the last presser and, as consequence, the issues are now coming into focus and entering the danger zone.

Recorded the APAC replay late last night - but fwiw, my first impression from what I saw was that the questions were a material advance on the questions put to her at the last presser and, as consequence, the issues are now coming into focus and entering the danger zone.

Jane we have been hearing that line in this place for months.

The Libs roll out Blewitt & stick him up there on a mantle for christ sake, Robert McClelland must be rolling about on the floor in fits of laughter.

This is actually getting funny-weird now.

The desperation of the Coalition, News Ltd, and the right wing nut jobs on the inter webs is palpable. You get the sense that they are running out of options, and the intense ferocity of the critique over the AWU issue is based on a recognition of weaponry slipping away.....

If the Coalition can't actually make a real charge this week, if they can't nail it real soon (after attempts a month ago, three years ago, ten years ago, two decades ago) then the AWU window is probably closed. Most average voters are miffed at what it is all about anyway, and already weary of it. I doubt they will indulge the Coalition on the issue much longer.

Abbott's strategy since losing the minority government has been to ram his way to the Lodge via smear and these types of scandal because he is so close. Yet he has failed so far, even with so much support in the mainstream media. Surely these loses are adding up. Fail to land a mortal blow on this 'issue' and there is not a helluva lot of ammo left.

And by the bye, after all the hoopla today, we are still in the exact same place on the 'scandal' as we were last month, last year, last decade, etc.

The sad thing here is that you actually believe what you have stated here. Let the brainwashing begin. The words you use "smear, sleaze" etc are exact words Gillard uses from her conference. These are the words she repeats over and over again as if schooled by a very clever PR person such as McTernan. These are the words that she wants you to use and re"peddle". They are there to distract you from thinking about the exact actions that occured. Think about the language she used in the press conference and how you are re-"peddling" them.

The Labor Party are hoodwinking people like this...but thank God we have a free press (Well right now we do). Instead of being fearful of different opinions from the scary, spooky, evil Australian newspaper - embrace them ! it is free speech. enjoy it whilst it lasts. You might not agree with what the Australian says - but at least they had the guts to report on matters that the Canberra press gallery was too gutless to report on. Rather than seeing it as "desparation" - see it as free speech. Aren't you glad you are in a country where we can unlock the truth? or would you prefer it hidden away as the team you support is getting exposed?

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/nat...k-on-free-speech/story-e6frgd0x-1226522310786

Other examples of free speech can be foundhere -http://www.michaelsmithnews.com/

i found it interesting that on his site he mentions that an allegation has been put forward to the prime minister about her signature on the power of attorney but the general consensus out there is that no allegation has been put forward. I thought no allegation had been put forward until I read his site. Again, the benefits of free speech.

I quote:
"So it is a manifestly false statement on the part of Ms Gillard and her government to say that "no allegation of wrongdoing has been made against the Prime Minister".

If Gillard didn't have so much to hide perhaps she wouldn't be so worried about free speech.

Yesterday's press conference was a shamble. A cowering, umming and aahing set of scared questions. She handpicked Lenore Taylor, Michelle Grattan, Sid Maher (who actually said "sorry" within one of his questions), and Laura Tingle (who doesn't know how to ask a simple question but only a long winded one with thousands of umms and ahhs in it). That McTernan PR guy certainly is doing a good job in stage managing "our" prime minister.
http://ipa.org.au/news/2764/australian-politics-gets-the-british-disease

Yesterday's press conference was a shamble. A cowering, umming and aahing set of scared questions. She handpicked Lenore Taylor, Michelle Grattan, Sid Maher (who actually said "sorry" within one of his questions), and Laura Tingle (who doesn't know how to ask a simple question but only a long winded one with thousands of umms and ahhs in it). That McTernan PR guy certainly is doing a good job in stage managing "our" prime minister.
http://ipa.org.au/news/2764/australian-politics-gets-the-british-disease

Have you heard of any excuse as to why Thomas & Baker were missing from yesterdays press conference?

Oh & by the way i'll have you know that Mr Bean helped make Rowan Atkinson a very very rich man.

How about you come clean about all the different Bigfooty userids you have had? Including several who are banned. How many names do you post under at the moment?

Are you paid by a party? Or a company that stands to gain from your political stance?

Several, lol. Sure thing, cancat I'm a regular international man of mystery :D

Have you heard of any excuse as to why Thomas & Baker were missing from yesterdays press conference?

Thomas is based in Brisbane, but I simply cannot comprehend how The Australian hasn't bankrolled him to tail the PM in the likely event of her calling a snap press conference to deal with the allegations.

He's the most informed journalist on this story and he hasn't been at either press conference. Amateurish from The Oz when they are so keen to keep this story rolling.

I don't have anyone on Ignore :) It's just that I have developed a phobia about being drawn into fruitless, circular dialogue. Must be my ageing braincells - might be a sign of early onset dementia :) On the other hand the posters am phobic about all seem to be Greens or loony conspiracy theorists, so that might explain it. And also, still being willing to engage Blackcat in dialogue is about as much as a gal can handle.

OK, I'll accept that as a concession you were wrong about the first presser then, like you are about so, so many things :D

(Log in to remove this ad.)

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/features/julias-first-duty-of-care/story-e6frg6z6-1226524494349

And so the discussion of Gillard's conduct as an ethical issue begins. Softly softly today (except for Tony Morris QC's comments).

Watch it build.

Upton Sinclair - not a member of any political party, nor am I employed by one. Is it because you can't refute my arguments that you have to try and find personal bias?

Also pls don't treat me differently because of my gender - I can assure you real women who succeed based on their talent, don't need to cry about misogyny.

I also see today in one paper it says at the time of all this Gillard was earning 80k (think average wage was 30k) and was up to her eyes in mortgage and personal loan debt. Seems she couldn't manage her personal finances, hmmm

Jane we have been hearing that line in this place months.

The Libs roll out Blewitt & stick him up there on a mantle for christ sake, Robert McClelland must be rolling about on the floor in fits of laughter.

fyi all posters: Noddy, with his union background, knows better than I do that JG's problems are not being caused by Blewitt or even the Libs but by Ian Cambridge, Styant Brown, Robert McClelland, Bob Kernohan, Harry Nowicky, whoever Mark Baker's source is, and most lately by Bills Shorten, Kelty and possibly Ludwig. Could be more, couldn't it Nods? Like the helper.

As for the question, will have to bloviate on this tomorrow. I like looking at this stuff in detail and not rely on first impressions, so I had it on record. But alas Foxtel arrived in the middle to fix up a prob on my second set and without warning cut off the signal. Moi fumed and stormed around, but it took them 15 minutes to put it back on.

I see my name referenced, what a sweet-talker. You are damn impressed with my acuity and sober clarity.
its also, blackcat, lowercase. Like silverchair.

But I appreciate the humble deference ;)

Thomas is based in Brisbane, but I simply cannot comprehend how The Australian hasn't bankrolled him to tail the PM in the likely event of her calling a snap press conference to deal with the allegations.

He's the most informed journalist on this story and he hasn't been at either press conference. Amateurish from The Oz when they are so keen to keep this story rolling.

Would he have been able to ask a question even if he was there? Gillard pointed to the people from her position of power (I presume her spinmeister from pommy land McTernan picked them) on whom she wanted to ask the questions.

Those who were allowed to ask questions were: Tingle- pro-gillard, Grattan, pro-gillard, Syd Marris (who she put in his place by saying "don't hector me".) etc.

ie she had control over the conference.

Also, one must question how Gillard knew what "hector" meant. She didn't know what hyperbole meant, so how on earth did she know what hector meant? I think the McTiernan guy she has hired from the UK is scripting her to utilise language in a particular way. He is worth every cent she is paying him (with tax payer money of course).

The use of language and the way you script it I find really interesting. Gillard has been well scripted.

Did anyone watch the 730 report last night?

Again... the use of language and framing the debate is very clever. The backdrop behind leigh sales had the words "SMEAR CAMPAIGN" in big bold letters. Interesting. The ABC has obviously made up their mind on what is occuring. If they want you take one thing out of it all it is that it is a "smear campaign"

Ralph Blewitt came across very well in that interview as well. The question "who do you trust"?
Maybe Gillard shouldn't be asking that if she wants an honest reply.

I see my name referenced, what a sweet-talker. You are damn impressed with my acuity and sober clarity.
its also, blackcat, lowercase. Like silverchair.

But I appreciate the humble deference ;)

Had a red card in my mind, but you saved yourself by giving me the dutch-runners line. Also learnt there is further opportunity for a double-dutchrunner. And now there are 4 in the room ......

fyi all posters: Noddy, with his union background, knows better than I do that JG's problems are not being caused by Blewitt or even the Libs but by Ian Cambridge, Styant Brown, Robert McClelland, Bob Kernohan, Harry Nowicky, whoever Mark Baker's source is, and most lately by Bills Shorten, Kelty and possibly Ludwig. Could be more, couldn't it Nods? Like the helper.
Vex saying bakers source is NSB. Apparently baker was best man at NSB's wedding.

Ralph Blewitt came across very well in that interview as well. The question "who do you trust"?
Maybe Gillard shouldn't be asking that if she wants an honest reply.

You're right about the clever language - even framing it in this manner; "Who do you trust, a known scumbag and fraudster, or me, the Prime Minister?"

When the reality is, you aren't picking heads or tails; it's not an either/or proposition - I don't trust any of those involved.

And, again, Gillard would want to be careful going that route; or would you trust a serial homewrecker, carbon-tax backflipper, Andrew Wilke betrayer and Kevin Rudd backstabber?

There's 2 things I found rather interesting in that article from The Age

Now while Blewitt has admitted involvement in fraud, using prostitutes in Asia and seeking immunity, those last 2 comments (sexist pig and imbecile) could be considered slander and while others may have said it, our Prime Minister is legitimizing those comments by repeating them. Does this not come under the category of defamation and slander? Great work Gillard as always

So essentially we have a choice here???

Do we believe someone that apparently is a sexist pig and imbecile (comments said by others but legitimised by our PM) or do we believe someone that is a lying, backstabbing, disloyal, terrible excuse of a person?

Here's an idea Prime Minister!

How about instead of denying your involvement in the deposing of Rudd as PM you come out and admit your role in that debacle which has you forever tarnished as an illegitimate PM. How about you confess that you played a bigger role than you let on and confess your disloyalty to Rudd.

If you were to do that Prime Minister, a lot of us would be inclined to perhaps consider taking you more seriously but until that day occurs, you will be treated with the contempt you rightfully deserve.

In this case, I don't trust either party at all and any discomfort for Gillard is something I will take great pleasure out of.

I like how people claim to speak for others. You dont speak for me !

Vex saying bakers source is NSB. Apparently baker was best man at NSB's wedding.

Makes sense. Highly, highly unlikely Age/Mark Baker would have published that story back in October about the letter JG allegedly wrote to WA Corporate Affairs reassuring them that assoc was ridgey didge unless he had sighted the letter himself. And NSB is the one who would have a copy, it seems. NSB was originally the Oz source on the S & G interview, now he's on the ABC. Good tactician, seems like.

btw VexNews is like moi and Noddy - absolutely aghast at the prospect of a Rudd resurrection, so that's why they're taking a hard line, as they did sliming Jackson and Ashby in mitigation of Thommo and Slipper in defence of JG's appalling judgement.

You only have to look at the crap the coalition dished out on keating to see they are a bunch of Muck rakers.
Piggeries, french clocks, extravagant living, I think there ware also rumours about being seen out with a 'young man' - who turned out to be his son !

In contrast, did the ALP ever try this sort of s**t with Howard - all I can remember is the AWB scandal

Remove this Banner Ad

Back