Port Adelaide Stories

Remove this Banner Ad

OK, I have a couple that I can remember of had told to me.

#1 involved the Great Bob McLean and his signing of our great full forward in Tim Evans. West Torrens were certain they had his committment to signing a contract. They had him stitched up or so they thought. Tim was on his way back interstate (flying) and Bob McLean cornered him at the airport and basically sold him Port Adelaide and happen to have a contract with him. Had him signed on the spot! Or so the folklore goes. Tim Evans went down as one of our greatest Full Forwards.

#2 Involves all the infamous jokes played on Arnfield the runner. Numerous stories of having his car disappear only to find it on the hallowed turf of Alberton.

I am told they also wrapped up Brett Ebert's car in glad wrap, but someone may be able to shed more light on that one.

I have to remember a few others. I know Allen Greer really well - he was the half back flanker in three of the six in a row premierships in the 1950's. Allen still regales me of stories - in particular how far ahead of anyone Fos was. Used to use the mental side of things more than any other coach etc.

What would he say to these kids?

I am told Choco was never shy and would ask some really pointed questions. His objective was to see how they could cope under pressure or if they would spin him a lie. So it wasnt unusual I am told for him to ask some very personal questions or one from left field that he knew they would not have prepared for. I just cannot remember the examples...you may be able to find some in old threads/forums as they wre pretty legendary.

Strangely enough, this sought of tactic is often used in Exec Selections as a way of understanding your fight or flight responses.

What would he say to these kids?

Funnily enough I made a post on this yesterday:

Choco Williams had a big reputation for this kind of stuff:

- Got Tom Rockliff to take off his shirt in an interview to prove he wasn't fat
- Gave Matt Lobbe a grilling over why he might be percieved to be a "mummy's boy" - proceeded to draft him anyway and it seems it's worked out bloody well for us now, but for the few years it took for him to come on it seemed a bit of an odd call.
- Pat Veszpremi was a bit naive and put down his hotmail email address in his contact detail section... apparently Choco spent more than a few minutes enquiring why Veszpremi referred to himself as a horny_devil

Didn't just reserve this kind of stuff for prospective draftees, there was an interview in Matt Broadbent's first or second year where he was a bit miffed that Choco's policy was to only include those who he deemed to be in his "top 30" to be allowed to sit in on tactics meetings.

Definitely a polarising figure - it seemed that zaniness and "initiation" techniques worked pretty well for a while, but once they went stale the culture of the footy club turned bad very quickly.

I met Anthony Williams as a kid in the early 80's when the PAFC went over to the Eyre Peninsula for a trip. Nicest bloke ever! So made what happened 25 years ago even sadder. I think he may have worked for club sponsor, Standard Charter.

Ive heard that Tony Modra once rocked up to a pre-season training session with Port's SANFL side. Im guessing it may have been '91 pre season. I think he may have been mates with a Dittmar that played for Port (Mark? Michael?).

I remember Daisy Borlase when he won the Mail Medal when about 16, in the Far West FL, playing for Western United. I recall he and his father were both handy tennis players, both played for the local "Charra" tennis club. I recall family members of mine, playing against them.

I used to work with a guy who lived with Dave Granger for a few years. Oh the stories I could tell...

My Old Man was Granger's GP. Granger went on Cornsey and KG and stated that his doctor (names my Dad on radio) said it was okay for him to smoke Pot for pain relief. Dad didn't know anything about this until he was out at Night Owls Bowls the next evening where Russell Ebert jokingly asked where he could score. Dad had to ring the AMA the next morning and explain to them that he definitely did not tell Dave that it was his medical opinion to smoke weed.

I sold newspapers at Semaphore to Eric Freeman, Jeff Potter and Bob Philp.

I've bitched about this before, but I lived in Semaphore on the same street as Matty Primus for several years, and his stupid, ugly and noisy dogs got out and killed my little sister's cat. Was never too happy about that.

Brett Montgomery lived on the same street for a period too. I don't think he had any pets.

I worked under Neville Theile as a groundsman at SACAE/UNISA for 16 years when he was head of services. I always thought he was a bit of a dickhead until out of the goodness of his heart he added 16 weeks extra pay to my voluntary redundancy package, despite the fact he knew I'd have left regardless.

Lots of Port players worked in grounds there. Paul Rizonico, Richard Foster, Steve Brosnan, plus Dave Granger's brother John (JG). Good times.

I sold newspapers at Semaphore to Eric Freeman, Jeff Potter and Bob Philp.
Fritzy Freeman came to our school, he worked for the Savings bank Of South Australia then (BankSA under Westpac now).

I know a bloke who put the new CEO in a headlock and said to him "Don't f**k this up pal"

True.

What about your Russell Ebert story circa 1988 with the 2004 Darwin follow up?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Post Premiership somersaults from Wayne Mahney in one of Mr Fahey's hotels!
Pool Tables first, bar floor second ;)

Fritzy Freeman came to our school, he worked for the Savings bank Of South Australia then (BankSA under Westpac now).

Loads of sportsmen worked at SBSA/BankSA, I worked with quite a few footy players and cricketers there back in the olden days.

The bank was always a good source of stories, altho I'm getting to old to remember them all. One was about a player (Max James?) winning a Torana or something in footballer of the year, and writing it off that night in a drunken flog around Outer Harbor while accompanied by a couple of other players. Anyone recall this?

Loads of sportsmen worked at SBSA/BankSA, I worked with quite a few footy players and cricketers there back in the olden days.

The bank was always a good source of stories, altho I'm getting to old to remember them all. One was about a player (Max James?) winning a Torana or something in footballer of the year, and writing it off that night in a drunken flog around Outer Harbor while accompanied by a couple of other players. Anyone recall this?

No, but I vaguely recall hearing something about a game of Soggy SAO in the back of a panel van after training. Or maybe it was just a harmless game of poker. I don't know.

No, but I vaguely recall hearing something about a game of Soggy SAO in the back of a panel van after training. Or maybe it was just a harmless game of poker. I don't know.

I've always wondered how Milan Faletic got his nickname.

One day in the Port club when I was real young I pinched Ron Elleway's beer. He picked me & said "don't do that again kid". Now Ron was big & Lurch like, scared the crap out of me.

elleway.jpg

elleway2.jpg

One of the St Kilda people asked Big Bob for permission to speak to one of our players, he said sure, just give me yours to speak to Carl Ditterich. The Saints guy left quick smart.

Grave Danger played several games in our reserves team. One was against Glenelg. Now the bloke that GD hit was an insurance client of mine at Keith in the south east. He told me he never saw it coming & didn't even know who got him until he was told. Practically finished him off.

I was lining up at the bar for a coke when I was about 7 or 8 after another priemership. As I went to pay Timmy G said ill get that young fella and promptly handed over a shiny $2 coin. Then we stroked each others mullets, what a legend.

Another one involved Reg Beaufoy, he & my brother-in-law were mates, they used to mess around at Rowley Park Speedway with a few hotrods.

I started barracking for Port in 1981 as a 7yo. Went to the 84 GF. Left SA in 1987 and was working in the Mines in 2004.

I have never been to a winning Port Adelaide GF :(

Remove this Banner Ad

Back