Dane Swan doesn't give a ....

Remove this Banner Ad

If they don't tell us what the injuries are then the criticism is fair enough. No one told us of the glandular fever or groin trouble until now, after his form has been down and the bagging started.

If I didn't want the opposition to know the weaknesses of a player then I wouldn't put it on the injury list either.

No offence mate but this is absolute rubbish. You remind me of all those opposition supporters who use his high uncontested possession numbers as compared to most other excellent contested midfield players as a stick to beat him with and say he doesn't get the 'hardball' despite the fact that his contested possession and clearance numbers are usually better than nearly every single one of them. Even on the weekend, in one of his worst games in more than half a decade, at one stage I looked up at the scoreboard to see he was equal leader (with Selwood) with six clearances. I don't know what he finished with. He is a very unique talent in that he can boss the contests but still gut run all day to rack it up on the outside in much the same way Buckley could. Funnily enough the same unfounded criticisms were often levelled at Bucks. 'Soft'....'outside player'..it was mildly true for his first two seasons. He was the best inside/outside player in the comp for a decade after that and invariably got higher contested possession numbers than Voss who was often unjustifiably heralded as the superior inside player. He wasn't even close in reality.

Clearing a ball because you have an uncanny way of knowing the drop of the pill is different than actually going in and getting a ball that needs getting. It's also what you do with the clearance and how much momentum it can create. There's no point having a clearance stat if you don't get any advantage. These are the areas we are falling down as there are too many standing around thinking it's going to bounce their way. Turning nothing into something by pressure is what we lack. Pure hardness starting in the center not players waiting for opportunities. By the way did your stats count that last left foot clearance.

I'm not trashing Swanny but he has an issue. If he can play another role then fine but in the middle he's not currently working and we need to get game time into others for the future. I'm still optimistic but I can't see us making the GF so what do you suggest. Trying youth or flogging the horse.

I agree that Bucks played a similar role. He didn't have the same tank but Bucks was capable of splitting the middle from 65m when required or hit a forward on the chest. Far more fire power in his Artillery.

Clearing a ball because you have an uncanny way of knowing the drop of the pill is different than actually going in and getting a ball that needs getting. It's also what you do with the clearance and how much momentum it can create. There's no point having a clearance stat if you don't get any advantage. These are the areas we are falling down as there are too many standing around thinking it's going to bounce their way. Turning nothing into something by pressure is what we lack. Pure hardness starting in the center not players waiting for opportunities. By the way did your stats count that last left foot clearance.

I'm not trashing Swanny but he has an issue. If he can play another role then fine but in the middle he's not currently working and we need to get game time into others for the future. I'm still optimistic but I can't see us making the GF so what do you suggest. Trying youth or flogging the horse.

I agree that Bucks played a similar role. He didn't have the same tank but Bucks was capable of splitting the middle from 65m when required or hit a forward on the chest. Far more fire power in his Artillery.

Swan wins the hardball regularly. If we adopt your 'unless we're guaranteed to win the flag we should move aside our champions and play the kids' approach we will become Melbourne.

Agree Swanny is injured - its that rather than couldn't give a s**t.

Swanny loves to be the laid back dude who looks like he doesnt give a stuff, but you don't perform at that sustained level by not giving a s**t.

Amateur hour psychology, but I reckon facades like this stem from a fear of failure that many people have to varying degrees.

That is, if you don't make it in your chosen field, rather than you coming to terms with being not good enough, it's way easier to say, yeah I didn't quite get to the top but then, I never really did give it my all. These people go out of their way to give others that impression, so that the 'excuse' can be pulled out if and when necessary.

It may be that Swanny is subconsciously holding back just a tiny bit, to fit into the character of his public persona, if so would be pretty sad, given that he he now has absolutely no reason to fear failure, and he may be limiting his full effectiveness in a small way as a result.

But people are all different and complex and continually amaze and perplex you.

Guess there'll be a few amazed and perplexed by this post! It's probably all crap anyway :)

If I didn't want the opposition to know the weaknesses of a player then I wouldn't put it on the injury list either.
I agree however you then need to accept any criticism for not playing well. It sure is hard on the player but it is a tough game, if we aren't told of the injuries i feel they should accept the bad press

I think the fact that Swanny is played despite all of his unconfirmed "injuries" proves that he does give a ****.

This

If anything I believe Swanny has actually improved his attitude the past couple of Seasons, his clearly injured but Bucks believes an injured Swanny > next available in the 2nds.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hey guys swan is killing my dream team does he have an injury or is the interchange cap killing him ? As one of the most interchanged player of the last few years he is now spending a lot of time forward and seems gased

Hey guys swan is killing my dream team does he have an injury or is the interchange cap killing him ? As one of the most interchanged player of the last few years he is now spending a lot of time forward and seems gased

I've already trade him off my team. Probably the interchange cap killing, Buckley says it just bad form.

These are the areas we are falling down as there are too many standing around thinking it's going to bounce their way. Turning nothing into something by pressure is what we lack. Pure hardness starting in the center not players waiting for opportunities. .
I agree that around the stoppages we tend to have too many looking to pounce on spillages rather than guys who smash into the contest. This is essentially the way Beams, Swan and Pendlebury operate in the centre and they do it extremely well. In 2010/11, we generally had Ball and Wellingham smashing in to the contest and Swan and Pendlebury looking to pounce on spillages - it was a balance that worked beautifully. We have essentially added Beams and Macaffer into the mix at the expense of wellingham. We've lost a guy who smashed in and replaced him with another edge of the pack predator - Beams and a pure negater - Macaffer. It's not working.

He has never been one to chase and put any type of defensive pressure. There were plenty of key points in the game where he didn't cover an opponent which directly resulted in easy turnovers. It is obvious he treats this game as a job only with no passion on field. His attitude needs to change (if possible) along with Buck's gameplan. Watching the Pies play this style of footy is killing me.

... "any type of defensive pressure"? Slight exageration. 11 tackles in a winning Grand Final isn't defensive pressure? Seem to remember him chasing someone down on Saturday night and tackling him, causing a clear holding the ball decision that wasn't paid.

I agree that around the stoppages we tend to have too many looking to pounce on spillages rather than guys who smash into the contest. This is essentially the way Beams, Swan and Pendlebury operate in the centre and they do it extremely well. In 2010/11, we generally had Ball and Wellingham smashing in to the contest and Swan and Pendlebury looking to pounce on spillages - it was a balance that worked beautifully. We have essentially added Beams and Macaffer into the mix at the expense of wellingham. We've lost a guy who smashed in and replaced him with another edge of the pack predator - Beams and a pure negater - Macaffer. It's not working.

Unfortunately we aren't getting the same supply out of the centre bounces or ball ups which doesn't help. Swan is at his best when the ball is put to advantage or into space and he breaks away before kicking one of his floating finger breakers (just joking people) towards Cloke. Grundy is a couple of years from size and endurance to feed them for a whole game. That's why our middle tactics and players need revision. Maybe we need a full time 2nd ruckman to manage Grundy's tank and utilising the sub better or earlier?

Unfortunately we aren't getting the same supply out of the centre bounces or ball ups which doesn't help. Swan is at his best when the ball is put to advantage or into space and he breaks away before kicking one of his floating finger breakers (just joking people) towards Cloke. Grundy is a couple of years from size and endurance to feed them for a whole game. That's why our middle tactics and players need revision. Maybe we need a full time 2nd ruckman to manage Grundy's tank and utilising the sub better or earlier?

I think our team is crying out for one.

Although in my opinion Wellingham is a natural inside mid he very rarely played that role at Collingwood. He spent most of his time as an outside mid/flanker or playing light run with roles through the midfield. This is the reason he tended to have massive games and raised his usual possession count by about ten when any of our full time mids were out, as he was moved into his natural position and thrived.

Luke Ball was next to always our only 'barrel under the packs at every contest' type player, just like he is now. Swan did it at some contests in the same way Beams does at some contests. They don't do it every time because they are better all round midfielders than Ball and would be wasted in that role. The difference between now and then is that Luke's form has dropped away significantly. The other mids also need to get used to playing with him again. It impacted on us a lot last year and Josh Thomas really was a lifesaver at times. We need to get him into the team and stop using Adams as a sub, to fix what is is now a weakness. Swan is not the problem. The calls to get him out of the midfield after three average performances following surgery are absolutely ridiculous

Although in my opinion Wellingham is a natural inside mid he very rarely played that role at Collingwood. He spent most of his time as an outside mid/flanker or playing light run with roles through the midfield. This is the reason he tended to have massive games and raised his usual possession count by about ten when any of our full time mids were out, as he was moved into his natural position and thrived.

You are remembering his final year under Bucks where he played as a forward flanker - inexplicably. In 2010/11 he was essentially a first dibs midfielder, he reverted to a semi run with role around the ground.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back