The "Annual" Good Friday football discussion thread

Are you happy for football to be played on Good Friday?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

But if the AFL is insistent on it being a BLOCKBUSTER game it makes perfect sense for the Hawks to play Geelong. Two other teams can make Easter Monday their game.

Nah not really. Carlton v North have been pushing to have the Good friday timeslot since 1992. Hawks and Geelong wanted Easter Monday and they can keep it.

Nah not really. Carlton v North have been pushing to have the Good friday timeslot since 1992. Hawks and Geelong wanted Easter Monday and they can keep it.

This is not my opinion. I am discussing if the AFL wants a blockbuster game on Good Friday - It's an easy switch.

This is not my opinion. I am discussing if the AFL wants a blockbuster game on Good Friday - It's an easy switch.

How about Hawks and the Cats get the ANZAC game.

Both teams are better then Collingwood and Essendon while their matches tend to be far better quality then your average Collingwood v Essendon game.

Both teams are better then Collingwood and Essendon while their matches tend to be far better quality then your average Collingwood v Essendon game.

One last time !

I am reporting on Jon Ralph's and Mark Robinson's article stating that the AFL wants a blockbuster GAME on Good Friday, and somehow Essendon's name is mentioned. Personally, I have no interest in Essedndon playing on Good Friday. But if we follow the AFL's line of thinking it would make more sense to play Geelong VS Hawthorn which will draw 70+ and is already an existing fixture on the Easter Weekend. Then you could have 2 new teams that could in time make Easter Monday a PRIME fixture on the AFL calendar.

One last time !

I am reporting on Jon Ralph's and Mark Robinson's article stating that the AFL wants a blockbuster GAME on Good Friday, and somehow Essendon's name is mentioned. Personally, I have no interest in Essedndon playing on Good Friday. But if we follow the AFL's line of thinking it would make more sense to play Geelong VS Hawthorn which will draw 70+ and is already an existing fixture on the Easter Weekend. Then you could have 2 new teams that could in time make Easter Monday a PRIME fixture on the AFL calendar.

I think Good friday will always be bigger then Easter Monday though.

How about Carlton and North get Good Friday while Carlton gives up the opening game of the season to another club. The opening rd 1 game hasn't been a real blockbuster game for ages now.

Seems like quite a few of the media journos are trying to stir things up here though since Greg Swann and JB were surpremely confident that the fixture was going to be a Carlton v North match up.

Didn't have a clue Essendon were apparently in the mix until this Jon Ralph character brought it up. Is he an Essendon supporter trying to get his club's foot in the door or something?

Richmond supporter.

I suspect he wants the opening game to stay for Richmond's sake.

I'd say the complete lack of evidence for the existence of any god (let alone the Christian one) is reason enough to have good Friday Football.

But since when have the AFL responded to evidence anyway...
It sorta makes sense that Essendon would play on the same day as one of the greatest stories ever told.

The last paragraph about world cup cricket next year is a real sticky situation for the AFL in terms of doing the fixture

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They are "better" teams now but bandwagon supporters will drop off and not attend in 10 years time if hawks and cats had Anzac day.
Bomber and Pies supporters never shy away from attending no matter how they are traveling.
Essendon v Collingwood will be the marquee Anzac Day match as long as we are alive

I think Good friday will always be bigger then Easter Monday though.

How about Carlton and North get Good Friday while Carlton gives up the opening game of the season to another club. The opening rd 1 game hasn't been a real blockbuster game for ages now.

Seems like quite a few of the media journos are trying to stir things up here though since Greg Swann and JB were surpremely confident that the fixture was going to be a Carlton v North match up.
Greg Swann has already conceded that if this fixture went ahead that they would lose the opening game.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Wouldn't essendon prefer to play Easter Sunday? First round of the year and the return of the Messiah.

Not particularly fussed even we play really.

That said, the last big game around Easter with something about Hirdy was Rd 3 2004 and may have been the greatest post 2000 Essendon moment ever, so...

They are "better" teams now but bandwagon supporters will drop off and not attend in 10 years time if hawks and cats had Anzac day.
Bomber and Pies supporters never shy away from attending no matter how they are traveling.
Essendon v Collingwood will be the marquee Anzac Day match as long as we are alive

Well that's not exactly true as testament to the attendances Essendon were getting towards the end of Knight's tenure...

That said both clubs benefit greatly from being fixtured so early in the season. As a point of reference, Collingwood v Essendon return fixtures have drawn underwhelming attendances (relative to Collingwood's default attendances against big clubs) in recent seasons

Last edited:
It sorta makes sense that Essendon would play on the same day as one of the greatest stories ever told.
I'm impressed that a thread involving essendon has managed to get this far without a single reference to last years events. Credit to the mods of course for ensuring it doesn't go that way

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Remember 10 years ago when Collingwood and Brisbane was the next BIG rivalry?

Then a few years later when other sides could only aspire to a rivalry like Sydney and West Coast?

You've got a pretty ignorant grasp of football history if you're comparing Hawks and Cats to Sydney and West Coast. The Hawks v Cats rivalry goes back to the 1960s and the Kennedy and Davis feud (that resulted in one suing the other in 1963). Geelong buried a Hawk under Kardina Park and embarked on a 44 year hiatus (and in the meantime Hawthorn won 8 flags). Fast forward to the mid 1980s and you've got the Neville Bruns incident, Gary Ablett's decision to leave Hawthorn, the 87 final round game, 89, 91 and countless close ties during the 1990s. In fact Geelong and Hawthorn were the first clubs to play in a final at Docklands, under the current finals system (which the Hawks won by less than 2 kicks). Fast forward to 2002 and the Hawks knocked Geelong out of the finals race with a last round upset win.

To compare it to West Coast and Sydney which aside from a magical stretch between 2004-2006 has little rivalry to its name is pretty insulting

Depending on your views of the Brisbane-Fitzroy merger, Collingwood and the Lions could well be the most enduring and historical rivalry in Victorian Football. Forget Collingwood and Carlton, Collingwood and Fitzroy was likely the original VFL rivalry

Wouldn't essendon prefer to play Easter Sunday? First round of the year and the return of the Messiah.

I should probably explain for non - catholics.

Jesus returned from the dead on Easter Sunday. That's what we celebrate on Easter Sunday.

Essendon could coincide the return of their Messiah with the celebrations for the return of our Messiah.

You've got a pretty ignorant grasp of football history if you're comparing Hawks and Cats to Sydney and West Coast. The Hawks v Cats rivalry goes back to the 1960s and the Kennedy and Davis feud (that resulted in one suing the other in 1963). Geelong buried a Hawk under Kardina Park and embarked on a 44 year hiatus (and in the meantime Hawthorn won 8 flags). Fast forward to the mid 1980s and you've got the Neville Bruns incident, Gary Ablett's decision to leave Hawthorn, the 87 final round game, 89, 91 and countless close ties during the 1990s. In fact Geelong and Hawthorn were the first clubs to play in a final at Docklands, under the current finals system (which the Hawks won by less than 2 kicks). Fast forward to 2002 and the Hawks knocked Geelong out of the finals race with a last round upset win.

To compare it to West Coast and Sydney which aside from a magical stretch between 2004-2006 has little rivalry to its name is pretty insulting

Depending on your views of the Brisbane-Fitzroy merger, Collingwood and the Lions could well be the most enduring and historical rivalry in Victorian Football
Oh no, didn't mean Hawks Cats. I'm just pointing out that most rivalries come and go. Hawks Cats is one of her exceptions.

Well, actually, it seemed to die down a fair bit until 2008. But that may just be from the outside.

Oh no, didn't mean Hawks Cats. I'm just pointing out that most rivalries come and go. Hawks Cats is one of her exceptions.

Well, actually, it seemed to die down a fair bit until 2008. But that may just be from the outside.

Its only been very recently that the AFL has put emphasis on promoting matches as historically significant rivalry fixtures (with the notable exception of Carlton and Collingwood, Collingwood and Melbourne) A classic example of this is Carlton v Richmond which for a long time lay idle as a latent rivalry (in much the same way as Essendon v Hawthorn has wavered)

Even Carlton v Essendon has gone through a relatively dry patch where the promotion and build up to the match didn't reflect the storied history between the clubs (ie the 32000 that turned up to a match in 2006 which on itself was remarkable given the enormous followings and high attendances for both clubs)

Hawthorn and Geelong naturally has far less drawing power so when we slide out attendances will
slide significantly (though the public holiday may well provide a buffer)

I just keep shaking my head in disbelief at the corruption inside the AFL. The fact that Essendon is deemed to be the frontrunner for a Good Friday game when they were about the 5th or 6th club to jump on the band wagon. North Melbourne and St Kilda have been pushing this barrow for 20 years, yet the AFL is likely to ignore both because they don't tick their criteria of being big drawing crowds.

The only way I want to see Essendon get the game is if they get $0.00 from the gate and all gate profits go the the RCH. This way the game suddenly becomes completely unattractive to Essendon.

The AFL just keep giving fans reasons to turn away and the crowd numbers and tv audience figures show that the game is on the nose as both are falling.

Back