Can anything be done about Bruce?

Remove this Banner Ad

Nathan Thompson?

Did some foxfooty games when everyone went to the Olympics.

Excellent, articulate and kept it relevant.

Why he doesn't get a go, I don't know.

Nothing! He's become a staple of footy. Couldn't imagine the AFL without his ridiculous calls. Without Bruce, we wouldn't have great threads like this and many others.

I find myself muting the commentary more often than not these days. If its not Bruce's earnest homo-erotic rhetorical questions its the likes of Dermie who are just in love with the sound of their own voice and can't let play roll for even 30 seconds without telling you what someone should be doing, what they aren't doing, what they are thinking, what Dermie would be thinking/doing if he was coach/player. For Gods sake leave some mystery to it.
Can we force them to watch Premier League before they go into the box? Less is more people.

With so many easy option to pick up what ever radio team you like, games start getting muted for me. Then since I don't have fox, if they were on delay on 7 they don't even get turned on. Now a lot of time I don't watch the games at all, just listen to the radio for them. The only thing that ever might get 7 to do something is ratings, because lets be fair thats all they care about and thats the headline numbers they need to sell their advertising space.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just wondering. Obviously I didn't enjoy my afternoon today, but thought I'd just pop onto afl.com.au and check the highlights, and it's even worse than just losing, when you have to listen to that ****. Does anyone have the impression that Channel 7 actually think he's a good commentator, even though as far as I can tell, every self-respecting footy fan just wants the guy to SHUT THE GODDAM ******* HELL UP. Christ. What an utter knob. And on top of that, because he's the voice-over, generations to come will have to suffer too. The ****. Please 7 for love of god.

Just imagine then for a second what us non-Hawthorn supporters have to put up with.

ooh Poppy, Poppy....Poppy just did so well there
Cyril delicious etc etc.

Truly cringeworthy stuff.

I reckon an interesting theme that comes up here is the concept of a celebrity commentator, and how it leads to this relentless OTT roids-shouting commentary that provides nothing to the viewer. People comment often that you'd get better commentary out of non-celebs, or people at least a bit less self-obsessed. Yet when the TV station brings on a new commentator, that's the mould - people like Dermie and Carey, who don't mind the sound of their own voice or checking themselves out in the mirror. For me there's definitely this sense of the commentator as the star.

What I think genuinely goes missing is the imparting of useful information to the viewer, beyond pure description. The call is focused on: (1) who has the ball, (2) what action they're performing, (3) random "mood" observations such as "You just get the feeling...!", and (4) over-hyped excitement eg. "Ooooooohhhhhh Cyril, he's round one, ROUND TWO, DON'T TELL ME, YUESSSSSSSSSSSSS, HE KICKS.... oh no he's offline". etc. I imagine this stems from the origins of commentary in radio, where you needed some of this to get any idea what was going on. But in TV, you just don't need it at all. Crank up the crowd noise (apologies to GWS) and you've solved most of it.

I'd prefer to get less hype, and more analysis - make use of the technology we have these days to make a proper effort to explain to the viewer what's happening in the game, the tactics, the field positioning. But that requires a bit of thought and some genuine football minds in the box, not butt-sniffers.

Hudson is by far and away the best in the business and for the all crap JB gets when you actually listen to him commentate he is both switched on to the game and very entertaining! BT has lost it since leaving MMM.

Can someone tell me when Tom 'flog' Harley is going to get sacked? He is the mother of all wan*ers however on the flipside his Geelong love bird in Cameron Ling I find fantastic. The best thing about Luke Darcy is his sister, someone needs to get his ugly mug off the TV to!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back