Carlton want to move back to Princes Park

Remove this Banner Ad

I went to Princess Park this year and it is the worst stadium I have ever been to, for a club that is losing money each year how are they going to fix the ground? Would cost at least 100 mil

Great idea. They should share it with North and Doggies and it would be perfect size for most of their games. Lovely stadium. Great location.

I don't pretend to understand Melbourne public transport, but what is a "proper" rail link?

From what I can tell, there is a station (Royal Park) around 1km away, which is about 5 stops out of Melbourne city. Is that not sufficient?
Yep- Royal Park station is only a ten minute walk from Princes Park.

And there's a tram right outside the ground.

Yep- Royal Park station is only a ten minute walk from Princes Park.

And there's a tram right outside the ground.
Thanks for that.

That's far better than what the SCG has for instance. No trams, and the nearest station is Central, which is a good 20-25 minute walk away (there are match day buses of course).

I always wondered why a rail link was never put in place. The SCG pales in comparison to the MCG when it comes to public transport access.

Unsuitable for traffic, parking and public transport. Nobody wants to catch a tram to the football.

The decision was made years ago to build Etihad. That was the death sentence for suburban grounds. As others have said its a massive long term financial investment and it will soon be owned by the AFL. No chance they are going to s**t in their own nest now by moving games away from there.
Yet it was suitable for 100 years before that? The train line is 10 minutes walk away, about the same distance from Flinders st to Lonsdale street. We're talking about games that will attract less than 30,000 people at Etihad. It should never have closed.

Yet it was suitable for 100 years before that? The train line is 10 minutes walk away, about the same distance from Flinders st to Lonsdale street. We're talking about games that will attract less than 30,000 people at Etihad. It should never have closed.

Well yes, a lot of things were suitable for 100 years before that.

Why was this thread bumped?

Nothing in recent times indicates the club wants to play afl games back at the ground. Nor the afl. And it will never happen because the residents in the area will continue to block the idea from ever gaining any traction.

Fwiw the gardiner stand (which is heritage listed) will be undergoing some renovations in the future.

And what was lost when it closed? Some nostalgia? The big bad AFL didn't shut it down. Clubs didn't want to play there.

And the Melbourne City Council didnt want it either. Carlton residents are very vocal. Just see the fuss they are making about having a tunnel dug under a park and losing access to it for 12 months. They'd have to walk their dog in a different part of the park.

I went to Princess Park this year and it is the worst stadium I have ever been to, for a club that is losing money each year how are they going to fix the ground? Would cost at least 100 mil
I haven't been to Princess Park, but have you been to Patterson's? :/ (genuine question, as I'm intrigued that there are worse ones out there)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It was closed because it wasn't "suitable" for at least half a dozen years prior to it's closure.

Suburban venues have had their day in the sun, the facilities cannot cope with the modern supporters demands.

The majority of the stands would need to be ripped down and started again to ensure comfort, viewing and proper facilities for a capacity crowd of 30,000. Even going there for the VFL, where we are used to grounds that are far below AFL standard, it shows it's age.

Been to a pre season game there a few years back that had maybe a 10k crowd. Was terrible to get out of the stands after the match. 1/2 time went to buy some food, there is basically a couple of caravans set up under the Legends stand to serve people and then there was a winding queue for the 2 toilets available. And this is in the newest section of the stands, I would hate to think what the rest of it was like. The planning of the stadium is not well thought out, Vic Park has better access.

It was closed because it wasn't "suitable" for at least half a dozen years prior to it's closure.

Suburban venues have had their day in the sun, the facilities cannot cope with the modern supporters demands.

The majority of the stands would need to be ripped down and started again to ensure comfort, viewing and proper facilities for a capacity crowd of 30,000. Even going there for the VFL, where we are used to grounds that are far below AFL standard, it shows it's age.

This might answer the AFL's current problem with the game, it might actually be the modern supporters fault? Spoiled rotten by the redeveloped MCG and the comfy roof over your head Etihad Stadium? God help those fans down at the cattery and interstate who have to put up with an open air stadium to play on. We're talking about a stadium 4km away from the heart of the Melbourne CBD. I'm a realist, i know Princes Park will never be used again and what a shame that is for our privileged modern day football supporters! They will never know the ritual of going to the football in suburban Melbourne. Tear the place down and build some apartments, that'll do it. I can see the billboard now, 4km from the CBD, close to all amenities, high rise living with the city at your doorstep. Roll up, roll up and get yourself a slice of the Princes Park estate! I say play football there instead! Should be 6-8 games there a year.

Thanks for that.

That's far better than what the SCG has for instance. No trams, and the nearest station is Central, which is a good 20-25 minute walk away (there are match day buses of course).

I always wondered why a rail link was never put in place. The SCG pales in comparison to the MCG when it comes to public transport access.
all true but it isn't in melbourne

In theory, and in an ideal world, a fully upgraded (think Kardinia or Metricon) 30,000 capacity Princes Park would be bloody perfect for a great many games in Melbourne. Blues, Roos, Bulldogs and maybe even the Demons could all play interstate sides out of there.

It's a shame it would cost so much to be upgraded, and as stated up thread, the AFL would be cannabilizing future profits from Etihad and would never let it happen, nor would the local residents give it the thumbs up by the sounds of things.

Such a shame.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back