Carlton want to move back to Princes Park

Remove this Banner Ad

I still cant believe Princess Park was Victoria's 3rd biggest stadium only 10 years ago, when they stopped playing there. And its nearly 20 years ago since Carltons last flag. Amazing how times can quickly change because of s**t management.
If it wasnt for Richard Pratt and this 'pokies king' Carlton would have folded years ago.
Yep. If it wasn't for the people being blamed for Carltons current position, they would have folded.

People have no idea how close Carlton were to handing in the keys.

Yep. If it wasn't for the people being blamed for Carltons current position, they would have folded.

People have no idea how close Carlton were to handing in the keys.
Why Carlton refuse to put the blame on those who are actually resposible (Collins and Elliott) escapes me.

if it wasn't for multi $m govt grants geelong would be playing in melbourne
But Geelong does play in Melbourne.
what are you on about?
Geelong is not the first private organisation to recieve public money and it wont be the last.
As I say, good management is able to attract funding.
Princess Park, bieng the 3rd biggest stadium in Melbourne, could easily have attracted investment, particularly as its in such a central location. Similar with what has happened with Olympic Park.
Chalk and cheese really.

Quite possibly the biggest shithole in Melbourne.

A dump is putting it nicely.

25k?

Are you telling me that Carlton couldn't pull more than 25k of their OWN fans? Plus visiting fans?

What the?

But Geelong does play in Melbourne.
what are you on about?
Geelong is not the first private organisation to recieve public money and it wont be the last.
As I say, good management is able to attract funding.
Princess Park, bieng the 3rd biggest stadium in Melbourne, could easily have attracted investment, particularly as its in such a central location. Similar with what has happened with Olympic Park.
Chalk and cheese really.

another person who needs a history lesson ....

1. jack elloitt spent $14m plus building a new grandstand @ the same time the dockland stadium was being built .. ... stand was built without govt grants something that the cats dont do
2. carlton were offerred $10m to be the anchor tenant @ docklands before it opened ... we knocked it back essendon became that tenant
3. we got caught salary cap cheating .... so @ the time we have built a new stand, we are being fined for cheating, lose top draft picks and our good players are ageing
4. ian collins replaces jack as president ... moves most of our home games to the docklands (conflict?). ... so we still have the stadium debt with no stadium income ?

5. dick pratt returns (thank you), Princes Park is redeveloped into an elite training facility ... spending $20m
6. historical debt is now down to <$5m (from $14m) and reducing by $m's every year ... thanks bruce

alot of the smaller clubs, ie north, st Kilda, melbourne and even hawthorn sells games interstate for $ so there is no need for another melbourne stadium

alot of the smaller clubs, ie north, st Kilda, melbourne and even hawthorn sells games interstate for $ so there is no need for another melbourne stadium

I think this is the problem now, a lot of Melbourne teams but not as many Melbourne games as we used to have. If The GWS that noone is interested in eventually folds up shop to make way for Tasmania, all the sold Vic home games could come back to Melbourne and there would be justification for a smaller 3rd stadium.

I still cant believe Princess Park was Victoria's 3rd biggest stadium only 10 years ago, when they stopped playing there. And its nearly 20 years ago since Carltons last flag. Amazing how times can quickly change because of s**t management.
If it wasnt for Richard Pratt and this 'pokies king' Carlton would have folded years ago.
same goes for the pies hawks, even the cats they still own the largest share of pokes. so with out them they all would have folded

25k?

Are you telling me that Carlton couldn't pull more than 25k of their OWN fans? Plus visiting fans?

What the?
Visiting fans maybe. Can't imagine too many Carlton fans rocking up, unless they're coming to see Collingwood or Essendon play

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Quite possibly the biggest shithole in Melbourne.

A dump is putting it nicely.
the written oval is far worse, on a recent trip down to Melbourne at xmas, i wanted to show the misses some of the old AFL grounds. one of them was the witten oval, we drove up to the oval, only to find 3 police cars there. we get out of the car to have a look, there was a nude junkie with dreadlocks running around the oval. surrounded bye several policemen, armed in riot gear trying to catch the bloke. that is about in line with most of the stories you hear of the foots cray & surrounding areas

another person who needs a history lesson ....

1. jack elloitt spent $14m plus building a new grandstand @ the same time the dockland stadium was being built .. ... stand was built without govt grants something that the cats dont do
2. carlton were offerred $10m to be the anchor tenant @ docklands before it opened ... we knocked it back essendon became that tenant
3. we got caught salary cap cheating .... so @ the time we have built a new stand, we are being fined for cheating, lose top draft picks and our good players are ageing
4. ian collins replaces jack as president ... moves most of our home games to the docklands (conflict?). ... so we still have the stadium debt with no stadium income ?

5. dick pratt returns (thank you), Princes Park is redeveloped into an elite training facility ... spending $20m
6. historical debt is now down to <$5m (from $14m) and reducing by $m's every year ... thanks bruce

Most people, including Carlton fans, don't realise how much of a tosser Ian Collins really is. He never cared about the club and he never cared about the game. The only thing Ian cares about is Ian (and maybe also money). Just ask Chris Grant.

the written oval is far worse, on a recent trip down to Melbourne at xmas, i wanted to show the misses some of the old AFL grounds. one of them was the witten oval, we drove up to the oval, only to find 3 police cars there. we get out of the car to have a look, there was a nude junkie with dreadlocks running around the oval. surrounded bye several policemen, armed in riot gear trying to catch the bloke. that is about in line with most of the stories you hear of the foots cray & surrounding areas
What does that have to do with the stadium itself? I could strip nude at the MCG if I like.

And can the anti western suburbs elitism, tell me where you live? I grew up in Sunshine, spent most of my life there, and never had any problems. Nor did any of my relatives.

What does that have to do with the stadium itself? I could strip nude at the MCG if I like.

And can the anti western suburbs elitism, tell me where you live? I grew up in Sunshine, spent most of my life there, and never had any problems. Nor did any of my relatives.
read the op i replyed to. its not a western suburb back. the witten oval is a s**t hole full of junkies. same goes for the area around it

I think this is the problem now, a lot of Melbourne teams but not as many Melbourne games as we used to have. If The GWS that noone is interested in eventually folds up shop to make way for Tasmania, all the sold Vic home games could come back to Melbourne and there would be justification for a smaller 3rd stadium.

if & when tasmania rightfully enter the comp there will be 6 games coming back to melbourne

the hawks will join the other big melbourne based clubs splitting games b/w mcg & docklands

potentially north ballarat will be developed for afl games with north melbourne and maybe the bulldogs playing home games

correct ... the cats more money from govt grants than any other vic club
same goes for hawthorn, leaching money from the AFL governments & selling home games & collingwood eddie and his under the table deals. &
as well as both clubs investing heavily in pokes

if & when tasmania rightfully enter the comp there will be 6 games coming back to melbourne

the hawks will join the other big melbourne based clubs splitting games b/w mcg & docklands

potentially north ballarat will be developed for afl games with north melbourne and maybe the bulldogs playing home games

This. Post 2016, and assuming we're shafted from Tasmania for North, we'll have to split games between the MCG and Ethiad...

Melbourne 9 MCG home games, 2 Ethiad/Darwin home games
Collingwood 9 MCG home games, 2 Ethiad home games
Richmond 8 MCG home games, 3 Ethiad home games
Carlton 7 MCG home games, 4 Ethiad home games
Hawthorn 7 MCG home games, 4 Ethiad home games
Essendon 4 MCG home games, 7 Ethiad home games
Geelong 2 MCG home games, 9 Kardina Park home games

That'll sort out the 46 home and away games for the MCG

Clearly haven't been to Footscray this century.
Was there last week.

Whitten oval is a dump. And as I said, I don't think much of Visy either.

Laying some grass might be a good start.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back