Society/Culture Violence in Society; Who is to blame?

Remove this Banner Ad

wandering123

All Australian
Jul 23, 2012
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I am hoping to gauge the opinions of others in relation to violence against women.

As a young woman, I am very disheartened by the way that some men dismiss violence against women as strictly a women's issue. I don't believe this to be the case. The majority of violent acts against women are committed by men. The majority of violent acts against men are also committed by men. This suggests that violence in general is very much a men's issue.

Like most women and a lot of men, I have been abused by men: whether that is in a close relationship with someone who is supposed to care about me or a random pervert putting his hands up my dress in a nightclub.

I am sick to death of the rise of these so-called 'men's rights' websites which serve only to mock women's rights and to denigrate women.

However, what hurts and disappoints me the most is that I am dismissed as being a feminist by men. I am a 20-something female with a love of Australian rules - who has a boyfriend, a father and a brother that I care about. I am not a man-hater or a femi-nazi or any other naive abusive term with which some men label both myself and other women like me. I just believe that I and every other female should have the same rights as men.

I am sick to death of the rise of these so-called 'men's rights' websites which serve only to mock women's rights and to denigrate women.
Better get used to them then, because sexist sh*t like this is the reason why they're here to stay and are only going to get bigger.

Modern day feminism = anti men

Feminist couldn't give a sh*t about men's issues but we're meant to bend over backwards for women's issues of course. Righto :rolleyes:

I agree that men commit a lot of violence against both genders in general

But I don't agree with purely stigmatizing one gender while ignoring the entire picture, there are women abusing men out there as well, and from reports the numbers are rising, but unfortunately unlike violence against women whom rightly have structures and regulations in place to protect them, the same isn't there for men out there, which ironically stems from gender stereotypes a little bit

It isn't that violence against women that's wrong, of course it's wrong, but violence in itself is wrong, whichever gender committed it. Both sides of the story would be nice for a change

I am hoping to gauge the opinions of others in relation to violence against women.

As a young woman, I am very disheartened by the way that some men dismiss violence against women as strictly a women's issue. I don't believe this to be the case. The majority of violent acts against women are committed by men. The majority of violent acts against men are also committed by men. This suggests that violence in general is very much a men's issue.

Like most women and a lot of men, I have been abused by men: whether that is in a close relationship with someone who is supposed to care about me or a random pervert putting his hands up my dress in a nightclub.

However, what hurts and disappoints me the most is that I am dismissed as being a feminist by men. I am a 20-something female with a love of Australian rules - who has a boyfriend, a father and a brother that I care about. I am not a man-hater or a femi-nazi or any other naive abusive term with which some men label both myself and other women like me. I just believe that I and every other female should have the same rights as men.
You know why men rights groups got going it was wholly because the men involved in them were sick of the s**t and hypocritical behaviour from feminists. Apparently it is ok out for chicks to whistle at me, grab my ass grab my dick but the moment a guy does it it is harassment. Also another thing you should look at actually is how many male violence cases are reported comparatively and the reasons why they aren't reported right including not being taken seriously. But hey leave that to the stereotyping.

... Apparently it is ok out for chicks to whistle at me, grab my ass grab my dick but the moment a guy does it it is harassment. ..

... Apparently it is ok out for chicks to whistle at me, grab my ass grab my dick but the moment a guy does it it is harassment. ..

... Apparently it is ok out for chicks to whistle at me, grab my ass grab my dick but the moment a guy does it it is harassment.

... Apparently it is ok out for chicks to whistle at me, grab my ass grab my dick but the moment a guy does it it is harassment.

sig worthy indeed !! :D

Violence against women is a womens issue, not men's. Since it's women getting hit, not men.

Take up weight training, learn some self defense techniques and/or carry a weapon.

Or you can just whinge about it and look around for a man to step in and solve your problems for you.

Both men's and women's interest groups have their place, unfortunately it's only the nutters at the edges of the debate that attract the attention.

Ultimately domestic violence in its broadest definition is perpetuated by both men and women, against both men and women. It's an issue for society, not a men's issue or a women's issue.

How many men have been abused physically and/or emotionally by there female partners ... The majority I'd reckon. Granted there is a physical power discrepancy between the sexes but this shouldn't diminish female violence towards men. Violence should be tackled as a societal issue rather then a gender specific issue. Men are NOT violent monsters as portrayed by the media and the feminazis. Women are NOT helpless weak victims!

I agree that men commit a lot of violence against both genders in general

But I don't agree with purely stigmatizing one gender while ignoring the entire picture, there are women abusing men out there as well, and from reports the numbers are rising, but unfortunately unlike violence against women whom rightly have structures and regulations in place to protect them, the same isn't there for men out there, which ironically stems from gender stereotypes a little bit

It isn't that violence against women that's wrong, of course it's wrong, but violence in itself is wrong, whichever gender committed it. Both sides of the story would be nice for a change

And this is what a lot of the rhetoric in this issue does to men. (And yes I've heard of the #notallmen). There are a lot of people who do a lot of bad s**t in the world, but what else should I be doing other than raising my kids to be good? I don't hit women because I was brought up correctly, parents have the most to answer for in this, typically you'll treat your wife how your dad treated your mum.

Both men's and women's interest groups have their place, unfortunately it's only the nutters at the edges of the debate that attract the attention.

Ultimately domestic violence in its broadest definition is perpetuated by both men and women, against both men and women. It's an issue for society, not a men's issue or a women's issue.

I think that's probably the best summary of the issue that I've heard. Far too often the problem denigrates into a gender contest, which frankly doesn't help anyone and ends up isolating individuals on both sides of the debate. Mind you there is scope for debate about how to drive the societal change, but that's a slightly different issue.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Violence against women is a womens issue, not men's. Since it's women getting hit, not men.

Take up weight training, learn some self defense techniques and/or carry a weapon.

Or you can just whinge about it and look around for a man to step in and solve your problems for you.

LOL, oh lordy.

Better get used to them then, because sexist sh*t like this is the reason why they're here to stay and are only going to get bigger.

Modern day feminism = anti men

Feminist couldn't give a sh*t about men's issues but we're meant to bend over backwards for women's issues of course. Righto :rolleyes:
It's difficult to see how a bunch of resentful pinheads bleating about women on the internet are ever going to be taken seriously as a mass protest movement.

It is certainly fair to assert that men are responsible for the majority of physical violence, including domestic violence.

However, I don't think that gender-specific discussion of violence, including domestic violence, is the most effective way of addressing the issue.

It marginalises victims who do not fit into that category - women and men who are the subject of violence in same-sex relationships, or men who are abused by women, for instance.

Even in the case of violence by men against women, it is not right to simply describe it as a "men's issue".

Domestic violence is not just about the two people involved. It is about those who shape the abuser through his (or her) formative years. It is about those around both parties, who too often wilfully ignore what is happening, and fail to provide the support required for the victim to break out of the situation, or fail to confront the abuser. Those people can include both men and women. The responsibility is shared regardless of gender.

So, wandering123 I agree with you that it is not simply a women's issue, but nor is it a men's issue. Addressing it requires action from people regardless of gender.

Last edited:
It's difficult to see how a bunch of resentful pinheads bleating about women on the internet are ever going to be taken seriously as a mass protest movement.
It's also difficult to see how a bunch of sexist bigots are going to stop violence against women by completely ignoring violence and abuse against men & children by women and while avoiding discussions about women's role in the cycle of violence and at the same time doing their best to isolate the other side.

Keep it up though d*ckheads, because it's working so well for you so far.

Until all people realize that men & women both have a role to play in trying to prevent violence & abuse as much as possible we're going to keep going around in circles and will keep facing these "stop violence against women only, we don't really care about the other way around" wank fests.

It is inevitably because it is a right wing view that males hold and holding right wing views in Australia never goes down well at a protest because it is not something the right wing is associated with.

Youre correct its not just a womans issue but your OP slants heavilly toward an anti male viewpoint. Id like you to explain where or how you dont have the same rights as men?
"I am sick to death of the rise of these so-called 'men's rights' websites which serve only to mock women's rights and to denigrate women"
I ask why? Why are mens groups who have had enough of gender inequality (yes ladies it does happen against men) so worrisome for yourself?
Yes some are nutjobs who are prepared to go a little too far but there are nutjobs in every group that seem to get the most attention and have said groups pigeon holed by their behaviour/s.

It's also difficult to see how a bunch of sexist bigots are going to stop violence against women by completely ignoring violence and abuse against men & children by women and while avoiding discussions about women's role in the cycle of violence and at the same time doing their best to isolate the other side.

Keep it up though d*ckheads, because it's working so well for you so far.

Until all people realize that men & women both have a role to play in trying to prevent violence & abuse as much as possible we're going to keep going around in circles and will keep facing these "stop violence against women only, we don't really care about the other way around" wank fests.
Completely correct. Can look to the stuff in UK for this and how have changed the role that they play in resolving such issues. Women wholly claiming that they aren't part of a sex who has been instigating domestic violence have been shut down somewhat.

Rather than being about men/women, and taking it personally. How about looking at it from a psychological pov? It's only natural to take advantage of weaker people, regardless of sex, and women are typically weaker. It's up to individual people to put themselves in a situation not to be taken of.
Errr... psycopath much?

How many men have been abused physically and/or emotionally by there female partners ... The majority I'd reckon.
What the... ? You're saying the majority of men have been abused by their partners.

Really.

Got proof?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back