Purple_Passion

All Australian
May 24, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
West Bromwich Albion
The ISIS threat is real and dangerous, it has taken only days for major parts of Iraq to crumble. Earlier in this week a video was sent to the Jordanian King telling him he was next. As a Jordanian - Australian this worries me greatly, Jordan has been an oasis of peace for the past 30 odd years and remains the only Arab country aligned with the Australia, the USA and EU. If Jordan falls the Levant will become a breeding ground for terrorists.

While Jordan is confident it can protect its own borders it is the threat from inside that has citizens and the Government on edge, Jordan currently hosts over 1,000,000 Syrian/Iraqi/Palestinian refugees - this is massive given the population of Jordan is only 6,000,000.

What do you guys think about the current situation in the middle east? I sit and wait anxiously.

800px-Territorial_control_of_the_ISIS.svg.png

Dark Red: Areas controlled by ISIS
Light Red: Areas claimed by ISIS
White: Rest of Syria & Iraq

ISIS has only made advances in regions where it has exploited sectarian tension, a problem that doesn't really exist in Jordan. They had no chance of taking Mosul without the assistance of other Sunni groups and I really doubt they will take Baghdad, let alone invade Jordan successfully.

They will nevertheless be a huge pain in the ass in the region for some time to come. The best time to get them would be now when they are marching around in public trying to establish a Caliphate. It will be much harder to get them when they go back underground and wage a war of insurgency.

TIS won't last even if ISIS is 'successful' in holding its territory. No one will trade with or recognize them, and they will eventually collapse on their own.
And neither Israel or the US will allow Jordan to fall. And I don't think Jordan will eat itself, making them pretty safe.

It really is a miracle that it's taken this long for such an advanced and competent militant group to come about, but rest assured this group has the power to mobilise and empower the average Muslim. The spread into the Middle East and Africa is already well under way

Well, given ISIS sprang from the advanced and competent groups in Iraq that defeated the Americans, not really. There's also been advanced and competent Chechen groups that beat the Russians.And advanced and competent groups like the Haqqani Network that beat both the Russians and the Americans in Afghanistan. So, apart from advanced and competent groups having beaten the world's two military superpowers within the last two decades, you're right.

The average Muslim despises ISIS. The best they can do is convince stupid kids into going over there, and then preventing them from leaving.

They have no mainstream support, even in Iraq and Syria. The local Sunnis there, who are very conservative tribal people, dislike them.

ISIS are not spreading throughout the Middle East. They've created facts on the ground the demolish the fiction of Sykes Picot, but they aren't heading to the gates of Vienna any time soon.

As for Africa, LOL.

As for Africa, LOL.
+1 I can't see any of the Muslim people/groups/governments there being particularly keen on having ISIS run the show. Not to mention the French aren't in the habit of ******* around.

+1 I can't see any of the Muslim people/groups/governments there being particularly keen on having ISIS run the show. Not to mention the French aren't in the habit of ******* around.

ISIS have already peaked and are on the way out.

Reports out Syria now show that Assad is for the first time really bombing their bases etc.

He played a very sneaky hand in the creation of ISIS and they have served their purpose: changing the narrative of the Syria War from "evil dictator puts down brave Arab Spring democracy protestors" to "crazed jihadis that any normal person would fight tooth and nail".

Assad has won the Syria War and guaranteed his own survival. FFS, Iranian and US Special Forces - oh yes they are Stewies Power - are working together in the Green Zone to co-ordinate the defence of Baghdad. Assad is a Good Guy again now.

I'm very curious to see if Archer incorporate ISIS stealing their name into a few gags.

They have rebranded to simply Islamic State.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Upon what evidence do you base this absurd assertion? Yours and Spewies Tower's problem is that you expect people to take you seriously. You are both risible, not least because of this optimistic character flaw. Are you a Jew?

Thank you for the new word, never heard it before, now I will try and use it at every opportunity, but getting to the point, you are so right.
Would love to see their bookmarks and memberships of internet forums.

i wonder where Al-Baghdadi is, or even if he is real/still alive.

Setting down roots in a particular area is going to increase his chances of getting caught or a Hellfire missile coming to an address near him.

If Judo-Christian groups can reinterpret a softer version of the old testament for modern times, why can't Islam be given the same benefit of the doubt?

I'm led to believe the Koran is supposedly directly from god, and therefore perfect, so no change/reinterpretation is possible. Indeed changing/desecrating a Koran is a death sentence, so changing things is going to be extremly hard/impossible.

Why do those from the Left tell us to be tolerant of those who follow world's most barbaric religion? Governments of western countries need to grow a ******* spine and ban immigration from these Muslim cesspits.

Tony Blair calls it.

At the root of the crisis lies a radicalised and politicised view of Islam, an ideology that distorts and warps Islam’s true message. The threat of this radical Islam is not abating. It is growing. It is spreading across the world. It is de-stabilising communities and even nations. It is undermining the possibility of peaceful co-existence in an era of globalisation. And in the face of this threat we seem curiously reluctant to acknowledge it and powerless to counter it effectively.​

http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/2014/04/tony-blairs-speech-middle-east-full-text

So many posters willing to condone Islam’s role in the violence or ignore it by saying “oh, this stuff happens everywhere”. So ignorant about the aims of Islam. Look up apostasy, what should happen to unbelievers and those that commit adultery. Islam is out on its own as a unique “religion” that has many violent passages, and its indoctrination is absolute. Of course we should be concerned by the stated aims of this organisation.

If Judo-Christian groups can reinterpret a softer version of the old testament for modern times, why can't Islam be given the same benefit of the doubt?

because jews and Christians do not still (or as widely) commit acts of terror against infidels and its own people. There is a much greater level of tolerance for others amongst these religions. attitudes to women are just one example of how much more tolerant these religions are.

Of course we cannot generalise islam and say they are all bad because that is incorrect but it just seems that the injustices they carry out happen on a much larger scale than elsewhere and this is truly sad for the people suffering as a result, others and their own.

world domination... this mob...... in five years... if you really truly believe that is possible then you must have serious rocks in your head - so much so that I'd pity you if you weren't such a tosser.

I agree with this to the extent that I cant see these countries developing industry or military to the extent of building a threatening global powers. You are wrong to dismiss them as a threat. The worlds apathy during the rise of Nazism, a perfect case in point. So similar its scary.

http://alphahistory.com/nazigermany/

because jews and Christians do not still (or as widely) commit acts of terror against infidels and its own people. There is a much greater level of tolerance for others amongst these religions. attitudes to women are just one example of how much more tolerant these religions are.

Of course we cannot generalise islam and say they are all bad because that is incorrect but it just seems that the injustices they carry out happen on a much larger scale than elsewhere and this is truly sad for the people suffering as a result, others and their own.

I believe that if I were living in a nation that was as comfortable with Islam as the western world is with Judo-Christian influences that I would be able to say the same thing but from the opposite side of the discussion and that brings up my primary point.

Islam is different, it's scary, it's against everything we value. - Because I was told so by those who stand to gain from me believing so.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back