Injury Swan out for month (was "... battling heel and wrist issues, Body all banged up")

Remove this Banner Ad

Watched him closely on the weekend (simply because we were getting smashed) and he was moving fine. Didnt look in any discomfort and the wheels were pumping. Thought he was actually one of our better players on the day.

Stuff this cotton wool crap. The season isn't over yet.

The plaudits and accolades are great, but he's playing like s**t and the club is trying to hide him in the forward line where he is having no influence on the game. It's time to rehabilitate him or drop him. We have more to gain by getting games into Broomhead, Kennedy, Thomas and Adams at this stage.

I think this is the point ^^

Not only are we putting at risk his longevity in the game, frankly we have other options that we should be trying to get game time into. IMO Swan could play for another 3-4 years provided his body holds up, and it won't if we flog him to death when he's injured.

Watched him closely on the weekend (simply because we were getting smashed) and he was moving fine. Didnt look in any discomfort and the wheels were pumping. Thought he was actually one of our better players on the day.

Stuff this cotton wool crap. The season isn't over yet.
I agree... He was moving well...

I think buckely has seriously dented his year by playing him forward. As soon as he went into the middle we got ontop of the clearances for a period of time there... Until he was moved forward again.

It will be a tough call on Swan.

He is still averaging 25 disposals a game and has kicked 10 goals for the season. Although down on his form, the club obviously thinks he is still contributing enough to warrant selection. The club is likely confident enough that he can play about 50% forward and 50% midfield and have an impact.

Compare that to guys like Blair and Goldsack who barely get 10 disposals and are also struggling to hit the scoreboard.

That said, Swan's last 2 weeks have been quite poor. Dane Swan has never been the most effective ball user, so he needs 30+ disposals a game to have an impact.

Also, as a forward he offers next to no defensive pressure given his wrist issues prevent him from tackling or laying off effective handballs, and his foot problems are effecting his speed and footskills.

It is a very tough call right now. We are still in the top 8, so we can't give up on the season just yet. We surely need to field our best side.

However, if the season continues to fall away, then getting Swan into rehab quickly must be made a priority to get him cherry ripe for 1 more assault at it next year.

There will come a point this year where his contribution will no longer warrant selection if this form continues.

He doesn't need to be at his best, but he is now in a position where he could become a liability. Perhaps the 2 week break will freshen him up sufficiently to carry him through the rest of the season. Only 6 games to go.

I blame Macaffer.
He has taken Swannys midfield position this year due to us employing a tagger.
I'd be throwing out the tagging role and let Swan get back to do what he does best.
Play in the centre and run amok.
Let them chase us again.
Only play a tagger when one is really needed.

MacAffer started out of the centre bounce last week, and ran to Heppel after the bounce. Swan still played up forward and had little impact.

I blame Macaffer.
I'd be throwing out the tagging role and let Swan get back to do what he does best.
Let them chase us again.
But he doesn't look remotely capable of running amok.

But he doesn't look remotely capable of running amok.

Give him his natural position back and he will be more effective that he has been sitting in the forward line getting cold.
Any team would still be very wary if Swanny was in the middle.
If you were an opposition coach, which Midfield would you prefer to take on:
Pendles, Beams, Macaffer.
or
Pendles, Beams, Swan.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

AFL.com reported tonight, confirmation Swanny has been playing with foot and heel injury. Have to ask why were they still playing him?

I blame Macaffer.
Let them chase us again.
Seems like an obvious move to have Caff as a defensive forward, not in the mold of Goldy who just applies pressure but just to tag the loose man or half back flanker. Especially considering he is a premiership lead up forward, and can hurt them the other way. He is hurting no one the other way in the midfield.

Niece & her girlfriends just got home from a Collingwood Club Night function in Ringwood tonight.

Swan was one of a dozen Collingwood players there

In his own words to the audience , he said that he is out for the next four weeks.

I guess we will see

Niece & her girlfriends just got home from a Collingwood Club Night function in Ringwood tonight.

Swan was one of a dozen Collingwood players there

In his own words to the audience , he said that he is out for the next four weeks.

I guess we will see
So no Maxwell or Swan for the rest of the year, or close to that with Swan. If as you say Swan made this announcement to an audience, there must be truth to your claim.

So no Maxwell or Swan for the rest of the year, or close to that with Swan. If as you say Swan made this announcement to an audience, there must be truth to your claim.

Assuming Swan was being serious...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back