Injury Swan out for month (was "... battling heel and wrist issues, Body all banged up")

Remove this Banner Ad

He has been clearly injured all year and still playing at a decent level, just not Dane Swan level.

Those that say it is him just getting old are being a bit dramatic. Yes he is getting older so recovering from injuries is harder, but you don't lose that much pace and agility in the space of 6 months. He was 3 votes off a Brownlow last year ffs.

Do people asking why play him really not knwo the answer?
We are desperately tring to hang onto a spot in the 8 and we lack depth.
Not that I think this is wise but we haven't made many wise list management decisons for a while.

Do people asking why play him really not knwo the answer?
We are desperately tring to hang onto a spot in the 8 and we lack depth.
Not that I think this is wise but we haven't made many wise list management decisons for a while.

Last two years we have drafted in some very promising kids. We just need to be a little patient.

I think if we lose to Adelaide next week it's time to put Swanny on ice for the year. Hopefully he can get the heel issues sorted in the off season and come back hard in 2015.

Don't see the point in continually playing him banged up as he is not impacting games.

I think its a very tough decision for the club to make, and I can see why he has been kept in the team. We are short on players and there are a number of guys who are performing worse than him. Also - we have never been a shoe-in for the 8, and will need all the help we can get to make it.
Our strong start to the year, despite injuries and poor form, has probably been a double edged sword - in that comfortably making the 8, and battling for the top 4 - became an expectation... something that we have shown we aren't good enough to maintain.
If we were in the position of an Adelaide or Essendon- started the season poorly, expectations would've been lower, and we have probably would have seen him rested.

I feel the best option is to give him a rest, continue to rotate through younger players, and, whilst still trying to win games and make the 8, know that we realistically should also be planning for 2015 and beyond - but I dont think the majority of Collingwood fans would accept it if we don't make the 8... and that makes everyones position a lot more difficult.

Last two years we have drafted in some very promising kids. We just need to be a little patient.
Sure but that doesn't change the answer to the question of why we are playing Dane Swan now. It may help us replace him in a year or four.

Perhaps Swanny hasn't been totally truthful with the medco's by saying he's right to play when he's clearly labouring. Maybe Swanny wants to tough it out to help the team but it's just not.

Perhaps Swanny hasn't been totally truthful with the medco's by saying he's right to play when he's clearly labouring. Maybe Swanny wants to tough it out to help the team but it's just not.

I reckon the medico's and the club would have known exactly where he's at with the injury, but he was probably pushing to keep playing at play through it - and if it's a 50/50 decision then most clubs would side with the player.
But I reckon the reports of the players having a "frank discussion" with him today is probably a sign that they are all letting him know that he needs to get it right before he can be a help to the team.

Round 21 is such an "odd" time to return, we have Brisbane at the G, the easiest game we have left, and by then we will probably know if we are a chance of playing finals or not.

Personally I don't think we'll see him again this year unless we head into round 21 inside or on the edge of the 8.

Sen reporting that Swan will be out for 1 month

Kyle Martin Likes this!

MARTIN%20Kyle.png

Why put him out for surgery?

Even injured Swan was better than about 12 of our players on the weekend, so you want to put one of our best 10 players out for surgery just because he's playing injured?

**** that, we are still fighting for a finals spot so until we can't mathematically make the finals keep playing him, because an injured Dane Swan is better than about 35 players we have on our list.

Have been saying the same thing myself but you reach a point where the likelihood of significantly impacting finals deminishes, I think Sunday's performance was that point. Time to start booking all surgery and setting the foundations for 2015. It's not a knock on the club or the players. Just think they've been pushed well beyond what you'd reasonably expect with the significant injuries.

He seems to be barely able to handle the football right now, like he can't pick it up right or drop the ball properly onto his foot. His kicking skills were probably never elite but they've been deplorable this year. Get him fixed up and give someone else a go. It's a shame to see him like this.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Collingwood midfielder Dane Swan is likely to miss the next month of football due to a foot injury he sustained in last Sunday’s match against Essendon at the MCG.
Collingwood Director of Football, Rodney Eade, said the nature of the injury demanded Swan rest.
“We think Swannie can still be a strong contributor this season but in the short term it is clear that he needs to heal, get his foot right and reclaim that burst speed which has been such a feature of his game,” Eade said.
A record of incredible durability owned by the 2011 Brownlow Medallist has been interrupted by a plantar fascia injury in his left foot which is expected to sideline him for up to a month.

Funny that the club has denied all season that he was injured, and as soon as it was reported on TV (Gary Lyon on Monday night) all of a sudden he has heel problems.

Exactly my thoughts.

He has been injured for ages and the club has been blowing smoke screens this whole time. It takes Gary Lyon of all people to make our club speak out.

I see this as a good thing. Gives another play an opportunity while giving Swan some time off to not only recover, but to also find some more energy in his football.

Surely now Kyle Martin will get a gig? A lot of people have been saying it all year, but after a couple of woeful performances, with plenty of injuries going around, with a real need to try something new, Kyle will finally get a game. Surely, right???

Remove this Banner Ad

Back