Round 1 Line Up

Remove this Banner Ad

Not sure you can just call him a walk up purely based on last year. As others pointed out, once the umps stopped paying him frees, his output declined noticeably. So you'd expect that umpire treatment to continue. Which might hamper his output compared to last year.

Hill and McCreery will both be forwards who put pressure on (highly desirable) and Hill will most likely pair that with decent Goal output. He's almost literally an in/out for Ginnivan for Rounds 1 and 2.

So if Ginni is a walk up start, who comes out for him come Round 3? Particularly if the smaller options are performing.
Ginni kicked 39 goals last season. Only TEN were from free kicks. Don't get sucked in by media generated rubbish.

Ginni kicked 39 goals last season. Only TEN were from free kicks. Don't get sucked in by media generated rubbish.
he kicked 40, even those from frees a lot were warranted. And really should have had a few more goals, not just from frees, but he missed some easy shots.

B: Murphy Moore Quaynor
HB: Maynard Howe Pendlebury
C: J.Daicos DeGoey N.Daicos
HF: Hill Mcstay Elliot
F: Sidebottom Johnson McReery
Foll: Cameron Crisp Adams

Int: Mitchell, Lipinski, Noble, Mihocek
Emerg: Cox, Bianco, Frampton

How does AJ get a gig? He was invisible last week and his form really fell away in the last two weeks of last year. Until he shows the same desperation as his teammates he can stay in the VFL.

How does AJ get a gig? He was invisible last week and his form really fell away in the last two weeks of last year. Until he shows the same desperation as his teammates he can stay in the VFL.
One of the most natural full forwards I've seen at the club in a long long time. Leads well, can take a great mark, and is a beautiful kick. All that was on display when he played last year. A couple of underwhelming games doesn't change the potential that he has to become a great. I'd be instilling all the confidence I could in him.

I don't think it's completely crazy to think that

Right now, our forward options are:

• Mihocek
  • Johnson
  • McStay
  • Elliott
  • Hill
  • McCreery
  • McInnes
  • Ginnivan
  • Resting Ruckman (Cox or Cameron)
  • rotating mid/forward (eg. De Goey, Carmichael)

That's a possible 10 players squeezing into 6 spots. 8 into 6 if you remove the resting ruck or rotating mid

I'd argue Hill is easily starting 23 without even blinking, and with Ginnivan out for the first 2 rounds, you can bet those getting a game in there are going to go all out and try and make it impossible for him to get in.

Not sure you can just call him a walk up purely based on last year. As others pointed out, once the umps stopped paying him frees, his output declined noticeably. So you'd expect that umpire treatment to continue. Which might hamper his output compared to last year.

Hill and McCreery will both be forwards who put pressure on (highly desirable) and Hill will most likely pair that with decent Goal output. He's almost literally an in/out for Ginnivan for Rounds 1 and 2.

So if Ginni is a walk up start, who comes out for him come Round 3? Particularly if the smaller options are performing.
J.Blair

I doubt Johnson will be playing and I think Frampton's height seems him in over Murphy. Cox probably gets a look in, too.

Carmichael unlucky but every player is on notice to perform.

I’ve personally had a rethink and I hope we continue to play Nick Daicos across half back this season
He was brilliant last year and added a different element to the position and I think he could become our Andrew McLeod this year and be even better.
The reason why is I also think that Tom Mitchell in the guts will improve us by bringing in DeGoeys and Crisps running games even more.
I think we win in the middle with Mitchell a nod can give Nick another 12 months before throwing him in there

I doubt Johnson will be playing and I think Frampton's height seems him in over Murphy. Cox probably gets a look in, too.

Carmichael unlucky but every player is on notice to perform.
I don't see Frampton's appeal just yet. Reckon he'll need a run in the VFL to earn a spot over Murphy who proved his worth last year.
You're probably right about Coxy but I just have great hope for AJ.

The best thing about this thread is that it shows we have a fair amount of options this year. Competing for spots can only be a good thing.

Reef is ahead of AJ, that much was clear from the carlton game. AJ would need to do a lot more.. probably won't even play on thursday, reckon they leave him behind in the VFL. Needs to work on getting involved.

Frampton will play, unless he has a terrible game v hawks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Noble Frampton Howe
Quaynor Moore Maynard
J Daicos N Daicos Crisp
Sidey Mihocek McCreery
Elliott McStay McInnes

Cameron De Goey Mitchell

Adams Pendles Carmy Hill … Lipinski

Love Ash J, but he needs to show some work ethic in the twos

Cox not required against Geelong, and need to prove that he can play 4 quarters

Last edited:
This is why I want AJ in the side over Reef.

Its a new year. It's no longer 2022. He had to prove himself again and so far hasn't. And his position has been taken up by Mcstay.
Even Reef probably has to rely on us playing 1 ruck to get a spot, so going from the last 2 games, Reef is ahead. Also based on the fact he played the entire AFL game last week.

It seems a few sides are going to try 3 or 4 talls in the forward line this year. We might need the likes of Frampton and Murphy both playing in defence this year. I think we will go with all 3 of Moore, Frampton and Murphy/ Dean, with Howe doing a lot more intercepting rather than playing on the big guys
You can put a line through Dean for this year I’d say. But I agree that having Moore, Frampton and Murphy in the same side is a good idea. Howe can play the interceptor role and have running backs with Noble and IQ and Maynard. Naicos and Pendles will also rotate through there. It’s a good looking mix to me

Noble Frampton Howe
Quaynor Moore Maynard
J Daicos N Daicos Crisp
Sidey Mihocek McCreery
Elliott McStay McInnes

Cameron De Goey Mitchell

Adams Pendles Carmy Hill … Lipinski

Love Ash J, but he needs to show some work ethic in the twos

Fox not required against Geelong, and need to prove that he can play 4 quarters
Hopefully Reef is a straight swap for Ollie Henry. I’ve got high hopes for Reef. Has real potential as a medium marking quick forward l reckon

Its a new year. It's no longer 2022. He had to prove himself again and so far hasn't. And his position has been taken up by Mcstay.
Even Reef probably has to rely on us playing 1 ruck to get a spot, so going from the last 2 games, Reef is ahead. Also based on the fact he played the entire AFL game last week..
I'm happy to go on AJ's proven ability in his performances in actual games on the big stage over Reef who has only shown potential in a practice match. Whether the selectors see it that way remains to be seen.

I'm happy to go on AJ's proven ability in his performances in actual games on the big stage over Reef who has only shown potential in a practice match. Whether the selectors see it that way remains to be seen.
Think players like AJ and Murphy will be out for the start of the season mainly due to the way they finished last year off. Barring injuries think the side is close to finalised already for Round 1. A question of whether or not we play a 2nd ruck is the only question for me and I think we will to start the season.
How much better are we with these changes. In Adams Mitchell McStay Frampton Hill. Out H-E Ginni AJ Murphy Bianco. Likely 5 changes from our 22 last game.

Even take away reef, there is no room for AJ if we play 2 rucks.

This is why I want AJ in the side over Reef.

I mentioned in another thread (think it might have been our best 23) - that I don't expect AJ to be in our best side at the start of the year, but I do expect him in our best side by the end of the year - seems to me that he really doesn't enjoy training and the drills, he's just a natural footballer who wants to play footy. He'll improve once the real stuff starts - maybe by Round 5-8 he'll be back in the side and by the end of the year, he'll be in the starting 18.

I mentioned in another thread (think it might have been our best 23) - that I don't expect AJ to be in our best side at the start of the year, but I do expect him in our best side by the end of the year - seems to me that he really doesn't enjoy training and the drills, he's just a natural footballer who wants to play footy. He'll improve once the real stuff starts - maybe by Round 5-8 he'll be back in the side and by the end of the year, he'll be in the starting 18.
question is for who? Especially once Ginni is back in the team. Mcstay essentially has taken his spot. A third tall only works if we dont play all the smalls, or one of the rucks.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back