List Mgmt. 2014: The List

Remove this Banner Ad

It's starting to get closer to making calls on players that may not be with the CFC next year.
Never a pleasant task but one each club must go through.

Cachia: Just can't see him being retained, even though his performances are always of a good standard. Just may not get to the level required.
McInnes: Seems to have stagnated in recent times whilst others have overtaken him.
Lucas: Think it's just about a lay-down that he'll be traded and if not..............he won't be at the club next year.
Garlett: Sadly it looks like a parting of ways may be the best thing for all concerned. Would hope that not to be the case but.............
Reynolds: I like the kid but if we're being ruthless, we may see him moved on.
Temay: Would be close to a miracle............such a shame.
McLean: Likely to be given another year but who knows with Brock. May just choose to retire given his honesty of not enjoying his football.
Ellard: It's possible but probably unnecessary

................and then there is Judd if he retires and Waite if he moves on.

There are others that may be/will be on the trade table but given how many names we already have here, we'll leave that aside.

It's not out of the question that we could see a similar turnover to last year although we'd want to every call to be a win.
We're already off to a flying start with three names off the books already (Duigan, Bootsma and Scotland)

Big off-season coming up.

Early call and will likely be eating my words but Johnson and particularly Ciaran Byrne look to be exciting prospects.
(Sheehan as a role player could also come about.)

They both hold themselves and move like quality footballers..............development.........development........development.

I've watched every minute of every game for years.

Brock is an incredibly limited player. Has elite endurance but obviously terrible pace. If he would play on for a minimum contract, I would keep him. Sometimes there are favorable matchups. Certainly not in our bottom 5 players.

Saying that, he would be a good pickup for young and fast sides, that can cover his lack of legspeed. Would see if anyone is keen for a trade, if not sign for minimum. If neither of those things happen, delist.

Cachia could just as easily get delisted. If you can't get a game despite us using 35+ players, it doesn't bode well.
Can NOT let that happen! I was very impressed with Cachia last year.
Cachia has been in the bests in the VFL 5 times from 9 games. Unfortunately was suspended a couple? weeks ago.
This. Cachia has been great in the 2's but he's missed out on a couple with injury and another with suspension. Before yesterday, he'd only played 1 game in the last 5 weeks(?). I was very impressed with him last year, hard in at the footy and seemed to fit right in the seniors. By years end, he'd become a favourite of mine, knowing that he'd be putting in his all and playing his role. I can't see him being delisted (prob cry if does) with McLean and Carrots getting to that stage and imo Cachia is the best replacement. Also, with Curnow I think they can be the best tagging combo in the game in a few years.

McInnes: Seems to have stagnated in recent times whilst others have overtaken him.
Lucas: Think it's just about a lay-down that he'll be traded and if not..............he won't be at the club next year.
Garlett: Sadly it looks like a parting of ways may be the best thing for all concerned. Would hope that not to be the case but.............
Temay: Would be close to a miracle............such a shame.
McLean: Likely to be given another year but who knows with Brock. May just choose to retire given his honesty of not enjoying his football.
Ellard: It's possible but probably unnecessary

................and then there is Judd if he retires and Waite if he moves on.

Duigan, Bootsma
Is it even feasible that we could cut six to 10 players and bring in quality replacements with a limited talent pool?

Mick's already intimated that we won't cut that many players. We made eight changes to last year's senior list. We'd need to have some "luck" and get favourable trades like we did with Everitt and Docherty. Thomas replaced Betts.

Lucas doesn't appear to be in our plans after playing 17 games last year. Yet I'd rather retain him than pick a player in the fourth round or later. Best we could for would be an Everitt or Laidler type trade with Garlett and Lucas. Pick upgrades if someone is interested.

With 18 teams needing fresh talent and rookie picks to turn over their lists, they should find another club. GC and GWS need to reduce their lists. Swans might have to add two Academy picks to their list. These clubs might in a tighter spot and have to shed players.

I wouldn't give Mclean a senior spot. Could rookie him like Scotland and Ben Hudson, but he might retire if he doesn't get a senior contract.

Post could look reasonable this time next year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's just a question of how many, and I guess a lot depends on Free Agents (rumours of us into Higgins) and others (Boyd/Patton/Cameron). As I see it:

GONE: Boots, Scotland, Duigan

GOING: Lucas

MAYBE GOING: Garlett, Waite, Cachia, Mclean, Watson, Temay, Robinson, Warnock

MAYBE RETIRING: Judd, Carrazzo

That's 14. Obviously all won't be going, but there's going to be another big clean out, and deservedly so. Waite may have saved himself from the trade/FA table last night, though I could see a team like Freo making a massive play for him as a FA at the end of the year.

Of the above listed, I really hope we retain Garlett and he turns things around. He's just so dangerous and talented when he's on. Judd should go one more year too. Watson still has potential IMO. I would like to see him tried up forward for a few games. He'd be playing for his career though.

Unfortunately, I think Carrazzo is done. We seem to be a better team when he's out. It's a shame, because he bleeds Blue and I love him.

2015 Blues will look very different.

Mclean has definitely been playing injured but his style of play doesn't suit our 2014 gameplan. We rely on quick ball movement like all the best sides too and Mclean really struggles with this. Geelong game is a good example of this where Mclean just couldn't move the ball on quickly enough.

I gotta go out on a limb and vouch for McLean, he's got the quickest hands in our team and would be top 3 at the club for reading the play, he also has a habit of sneaking forward and kicking a goal and has elite endurance.
Most of all he has on field leadership in a team which generally lacks it.

What he lacks is SPEED and size, if he was 190cm and 90kgs we wouldn't be talking about him.

At the very least and I mean very least he imo has a spot at vfl level as an on field leader and someone who can teach the younger players.
I feel bad for the guy if he was born 5 years earlier he would have been considered an out and out gun of the competition.

Can NOT let that happen! I was very impressed with Cachia last year.

This. Cachia has been great in the 2's but he's missed out on a couple with injury and another with suspension. Before yesterday, he'd only played 1 game in the last 5 weeks(?). I was very impressed with him last year, hard in at the footy and seemed to fit right in the seniors. By years end, he'd become a favourite of mine, knowing that he'd be putting in his all and playing his role. I can't see him being delisted (prob cry if does) with McLean and Carrots getting to that stage and imo Cachia is the best replacement. Also, with Curnow I think they can be the best tagging combo in the game in a few years.
Hope so, I have big wraps on Cachia. Given his performance last year, it pisses me off that Brock & Ellard are getting games in front of him. Would be our best in & Under player if given a chance, I'm sure. Sakc Mick.

Accordingly is the word. He is as willing as they come but in reality has played a handful of good games and still some work to do (which is expected in a new role).
C'mon, you are underselling him a bit. Considering he has had to change his whole mindset to defence, just to get a game, I think he has come on faster than anyone had dared hoped. His defensive erors are getting less and less (1 mistake last week) and TBH I thinks he's getting more reliable than Jammo. Given his size, I don't think he'll get injured much. I'm hoping he gets a fair contract over 2-3 years. He deserves it.

C'mon, you are underselling him a bit. Considering he has had to change his whole mindset to defence, just to get a game, I think he has come on faster than anyone had dared hoped. His defensive erors are getting less and less (1 mistake last week) and TBH I thinks he's getting more reliable than Jammo. Given his size, I don't think he'll get injured much. I'm hoping he gets a fair contract over 2-3 years. He deserves it.
Not underselling him at all and his curve of development is very encouraging...just think talk of him being more important than Jamison is wildly premature.

He is still fixed purely on negating which is fine...bit like Jamo of 3-4 years ago. Can be a bit unpredictable and still more focused on getting the ball out of his area...not showing a lot of cohesion with others as yet.

Say again I am thrilled with his development and hope we secure him for another 2-3...just not at any price

Is it even feasible that we could cut six to 10 players and bring in quality replacements with a limited talent pool?

Mick's already intimated that we won't cut that many players. We made eight changes to last year's senior list. We'd need to have some "luck" and get favourable trades like we did with Everitt and Docherty. Thomas replaced Betts.

Lucas doesn't appear to be in our plans after playing 17 games last year. Yet I'd rather retain him than pick a player in the fourth round or later. Best we could for would be an Everitt or Laidler type trade with Garlett and Lucas. Pick upgrades if someone is interested.

With 18 teams needing fresh talent and rookie picks to turn over their lists, they should find another club. GC and GWS need to reduce their lists. Swans might have to add two Academy picks to their list. These clubs might in a tighter spot and have to shed players.

I wouldn't give Mclean a senior spot. Could rookie him like Scotland and Ben Hudson, but he might retire if he doesn't get a senior contract.

Post could look reasonable this time next year.
Cut too deep this year then we will have too few uncontracted players in 2015 and then have to cut someone who doesn't deserve it.

Hi guys,

Levi Casboult? What's his current status? Has the second best hands in the comp, but best for a forward. Pretty shocking kick and probably at this age won't ever really be fixed, but where's he at?

Freo just need a forward who can compete and clunk. Would like him at Freo, think he goes ok.

Name your price, player, pick or combo.

I won't suggest mine yet.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back