Autopsy Round 18, 2014 - Brisbane Lions vs. Gold Coast Suns Autopsy

Remove this Banner Ad

I wonder when was the last time we had 14 scoring shots in a quarter? Imagine we had 12 goals 2 at quarter time and hasn't given them that cheap goal.

I really like Leppa's comments about having players who can break the line. Increasingly, the game is won by players who can do exactly that because defences are often so well organised and drilled that the line breakers who can carry the ball inside 50 make the difference. Big bags of goals by big forwards are fairly rare these days. Three or four goals by a key forward is considered a pretty good return, five or six is a real day out. So it is often those players who can run the ball into the 50 that cause defences to fail because they are so hard to plan for.

Hanley, Zorko, Green and Taylor offer us a lot in that regard. If that four could regularly get three or four goals a game between them we are going to be a chance. If we get 8 from them, like we did tonight, we are probably going to win.

I actually see Close as a very good set shot goal kicker; 8.1 for the season too :thumbsu:

That can't be right. He kicked three behinds from set shots against west coast.

I know because I spruiked him each time to a mate
Shot 1: 'This kids a great kick... [behind] nevermind he'll get the next one'
Shot 2: 'He'll get it this time for sure last time he didn't get to do his routine properly' [behind] *facepalm*
Shot 3: 'I don't want to jinx him so I'll just shut up...' [behind]

Last edited:
tigernova backpedalling at warp speed.

His latest thread had me in tears. One of the most brilliantly unintentional self-trollers on BigFooty.
Both threads I started I was asking a question, not making a statement. Noticed you didnt manage to form an opinion in either thread. :rolleyes:

You do laugh way too easy...:rolleyes:

That was special. How Special?

Well... Hammo was prepared to say that 'Rockliff is a Gun' special.

Rocky was great again and it is starting to seem that all of our most creative and profitable attacks come through Hanley, but some of the players who won't get many votes I thought were also great.

Close is growing as a player and his willingness to both run and impose himself physically is so exciting. I thought Harwood showed some dash and the back line generally was vey composed. Just because we have come to expect reliability and defensive competence from Patfull doesn't mean it should go unmentioned. Mayes was good before his knock and Bewick has been good recently being more accountable for his opponent and showed it last night.

That can't be right. He kicked three behinds from set shots against west coast.

I know because I spruiked him each time to a mate
Shot 1: 'This kids a great kick... [behind] nevermind he'll get the next one'
Shot 2: 'He'll get it this time for sure last time he didn't get to do his routine properly' [behind] *facepalm*
Shot 3: 'I don't want to jinx him so I'll just shut up...' [behind]

I hear you.

I was doing more or less the same thing. Telling anyone who wanted to listen (and even if they didn't want to) how accurate he was and then ending up with mud on my face.:oops:

He fluffed a couple last night too.

Back to the drawing board.

If it
Anyone think Martin may make AA? Missed a fair chunk of games but has been the most consistent out of all the ruck in the comp imo.
If it was picked on form he'd be streets ahead. He set that first qtr shellacking up with his work in the middle. Probably missed too many games though. What a weird luxury, our #1 ruck is injured and we've got the form ruckman of the comp.

Its starting to seem like you let hanley and zorko off the chain and you dont win against brisbane. Thats going to be a bit of a knightmare for coaches next year because there's a man named rich to come back in who can kill you with 20 good possessions. Add in rockliffe running around gathering possessions at will and its becoming a very difficult midfield to control. You might tag one out of the game but theres another 3 or 4 blokes who can cut you up.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Watching the replay now, the commentators are just dumbfounded in the difference between the two teams, especially in stats in the first quarter.

The fact that we were able to get a huge margin before the rain came helped no end - the Suns had no chance once the ball became slippery.

I noticed yesterday we seem to be getting better at drawing free kicks which is handy.

I know we got 24 given to us but I was aggressive over those 2 O'Meara drops in Q3

Both sides could complain. Of the forty free kicks paid I reckon half of them were daft.

Needs to be more accountability.

Three excellent observations from Leigh Matthews on gameday that I think bear repeating.

1. Finals are a poor matchday motivation
2. Stefan Martin is the AFL's new emerging ruckman.
3. Rockliff and Hanley are a very well balanced midfield pairing.

That first one in particular struck me. I suppose it makes sense that the prospect of finals cast a bit of a shadow on the preparation during the H&A season.

Last edited:
Hmm. Three excellent observations from Leigh Matthews on gameday that I think bear repeating.

That first one in particular struck me. I suppose it makes sense that the prospect of finals cast a bit of a shadow on the preparation during the H&A season.

Hanley days off HB might be finished. Harwood can do it for him

Three excellent observations from Leigh Matthews on gameday that I think bear repeating.

Maybe it hurts if you play a team out of finals contention and expect to win. When one team has nothing to lose like last night or the Saints game.

Maybe it hurts if you play a team out of finals contention and expect to win. When one team has nothing to lose like last night or the Saints game.

Yeah, definitely. I suppose it's a question of focus. One team is thinking about this week, the other is thinking about the next couple of months.

Both threads I started I was asking a question, not making a statement. Noticed you didnt manage to form an opinion in either thread. :rolleyes:

You do laugh way too easy...:rolleyes:

Not as much as I laughed at this gem that you posted minutes after getting laughed off our board for your "the Lions Academy didn't rate my friend's kid and are therefore ruining football in Queensland" meltdown. Was there a more obvious way you could have waved a flag saying "I'm upset!" :D

Speaking of said meltdown... Didn't you say you never, never, never coming back? Might be happier back on the Suns board where you can enthuse over the fact that you are the team with "talent". A fact I don't disagree with, even if all said talent is exclusively concentrated in the body of one bald man with a crook shoulder.

Bewick's move to the backline has also freed up Hanley, I think.

This is a great example of what Leppa has had to figure out this year.

Bewick was a small forward for a few years prior and could certainly take a great mark/lead well and for a while was a great shot on goal, but was inconsistent in that role.

Hanley is such a great ball user and runner that he was thrown into half-back earlier in the season due to a few injuries and other factors.

Now that it's clear Bewick is a great user himself off halfback/wing, has great pace and can play a run-with role ... Hanley can be a damaging spreading midfielder who has the freedom to pop up for goals.

The switching around of positions will all make sense, and I'm sure there's a method to any perceived madness.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back