Autopsy Rd 19 Carlton v Fremantle Post Match Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

It would be unfair to put the loss down to one single thing. Can't blame Wood, can't blame Casboult and definitely can't blame Doc. There was just so many stuff ups it wasn't funny. Should've put them away in the third, but didn't. It's definitely disappointing to lose and it really did break my heart, but 2015 isn't looking so bad now. And the last few weeks don't seem pointless. Plenty to salvage from season 2014.
What happens inside Waite's head sometimes? That non-kick fuff-up was plain ridiculous.

A few things to consider, we flogged them all over apart from hitouts, which didn't matter as Sandilands is as easy to read as Dr Seuss.

They lost Pav early and Mzungu was pretty much out of action for most of the game. In saying that we did well in hostile territory, Graham looks very good, Doc will be the next Scotland (**** we miss him) and we were playing a very talented top 4 side......that now after the last two weeks have shown they will not win a flag before a major rebuild.

I hate it and can honestly say I'd rather that win that a higher draft pick.
Excluding nat fyfe my big toenail has more talent to play the game then the entire fremantle list.

Well drilled? Yes
Fit Athletes? Yes
Talented? NO

This is what disappoints me the most:

Graham, 10 disposals.

Johnson, 3 disposals.

I'd have hoped we'd be seeing more from Nicky. You can see why he gets the sub vest so often. Johnson, well, he's a kid. He's had a few good weeks. Probably won't play next week though.

Carrots was good in close. I take back my negative reactions to him early in the game.

Wood I don't feel any ill towards, he'll have to learn from it but it's not all his fault. Only his second game back at AFL level too. Was really competitive all night, can't fault him there.

I will say this about Casboult. For someone who can take contested clunks like he can, he often has concrete hands when it comes to marks/sitters under no pressure. Mental issue there too?

Graham. For the love of Judd, keep this lad IN! He can play, he's smart, good ball use and is cool as a cucumber.

good performance. as commetti said, earnt respect.
only turned on halfway through third, but didn't see 'best contested mark in the game' casboult stick anything from that point onwards, even sitters.
we more or less bottled it, but they are very good top 4 contenders, punched well above our weight last night.

Jaysus. Any chance of us sticking a contested mark? Felt like we spilled more than we took. Completely coughed up that game.

And I found three pubs showing the match in Newy, but watched it in my hotel room. :)

Did you at least order some room service??

Disagree, tonight showed again the importance of having a big strong marking forward.

There are always good midfielders in the second & third rounds if you know where to look, quality talls are not as easy.

The best midfeilders come from the top 10 in the draft, have a look at some of the crop of the last 10 years

We failed with Lucas, other than him we havent had a midfield selection early in the draft in a long time

Our premiership side cant have guys like Bell taking that 3rd centre bounce spot, we need a midfielder that all the talk shows talk about, and theyre in the top 10 of each draft

We have options up forward, hopefully we have Waite, but Henderson and Casboult are very capable, plus we can still source KPPs elsewhere

I doubt GWS will give up Boyd anyway, they have midfield depth to trade with

Wanna call out Rowe. Had a terrible first quarter, but managed to turn it around later in the game, and gave us some good options when playing forward.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We flogged them at football, lost because of too many rebound to empty 50/free kicks in front of goal & turnovers in the back half. We lost because all of fremantle's goals came with 2 players inside their 50 or from a free kick set shot while all ours were hard earned.

We need to learn how to cheat like the rest of the comp, dive at the slightest contact duck the head and start with 8 defenders so we can rebound into an empty 50

Murph is the best in the game lol

It would be unfair to put the loss down to one single thing. Can't blame Wood, can't blame Casboult and definitely can't blame Doc. There was just so many stuff ups it wasn't funny. Should've put them away in the third, but didn't. It's definitely disappointing to lose and it really did break my heart, but 2015 isn't looking so bad now. And the last few weeks don't seem pointless. Plenty to salvage from the rest of season 2014.
I agree it is unfair to lay blame tonight for the loss. There were many opportunities we stuffed up. However, what we salvage from the 2014 season is a different issue and one not much different since Ratts took over as coach. We have continually showed great promise only to falter at the last hurdle. I don't believe we've changed much under MM in this respect - and our ladder position suggests we've gone backwards.

good performance. as commetti said, earnt respect.
only turned on halfway through third, but didn't see 'best contested mark in the game' casboult stick anything from that point onwards, even sitters.
we more or less bottled it, but they are very good top 4 contenders, punched well above our weight last night.
Frogshit.

One thing that is for certain, if we could tidy up some of the basic errors by foot we win these games by 10 goals. We blew 4-5 set shots, easy opportunities in front of goal and we turned the ball over with simple skill errors down back just as often. Tidying those things up is the difference between 11th-14th and top 4 side.

This is what disappoints me the most:

Graham, 10 disposals.

Johnson, 3 disposals.

I'd have hoped we'd be seeing more from Nicky. You can see why he gets the sub vest so often. Johnson, well, he's a kid. He's had a few good weeks. Probably won't play next week though.
Can't rack up 20+ in their first game.

Probably should delist.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back