Shaneprice97

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 24, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Collingwood VFL
Personal wants:

3rd tall defender: I think this is a big need, for several reasons. Since Maxwell retired, Goldsack and Toovey have filled a hole sharing duties with being the 3rd tall. I think people misunderstand Maxwells role, this season he wasnt just playing as the loose man, he played as the third tall defender and had some impressive scalps, he beat 200cm 102kg Ben Griffiths against Richmond, he beat 201cm 96kg Daniel Currie against North, and he kept 193cm 100kg James Podsiadly goalless as a few examples.

The expectation for alot is that Langdon or Scharenberg will take Maxwells role in the side, but i think when people say that, they dont understand Maxwell actually had to play on some big body forwards most weeks, and that Scharenberg and Langdon(2nd year players) would have serious trouble if they had to play on 200cm 100kg resting rucks week in week out. And to be honest, i think what alot of people mean by replacing Maxwell, is playing as the loose man, which is not what Maxwell did against teams that played 3 tall forwards.

I think the best way to go about the 3rd tall situation, is recruiting a ready made one who can provide intercept marking and rebound, and play Matt Scharenberg and Tom Langdon in more attacking roles with both playing on the back flank. I think this benefits both parties.

-Tom Clurey(193cm 89kg Port) to play as the 3rd tall straight away but with further scope to be a number 1-2 key defender long term.

-Ariel Steinberg(191cm 86kg Essendon) is another option, just had his debut and beat Scott Lycett(203cm 103kg). Hes someone who despite not weighing much and not being fast, uses his body very well 1v1, and is someone who id back week in week out to beat resting ruckman and provide intercept marking(his bread and butter) and rebound.

-Jack Watts(196cm 88kg Melbourne) now this is an interesting one, he has been played all over the place, but if i had the option, id play him as a 3rd tall defender and let him settle there.
-Hes a natural intercept mark.
-He has big disposal games down back, had a 7-8 games period during 2012 when he was averaging about 22 disposals a game from the backline(ill get proper stats soon), grabbing 5-10 marks and rebounding very well from the backline.
-He just has great skills, if he was allowed to settle there for an entire season, and the club told him he would be a role player with no Extremely high expectations, i think he could gradually become the best 3rd tall defender in the AFL, he could make a career out of playing on resting ruckman.

Small crumbing forward: This isn't an extreme need for mine, but its one if the opportunity presented itself to recruit one, id be disappointed if the club didn't make at least a play for that player.

Jeff Garlett: I think hes leaving Carlton at the end of the year, whether he goes to WA or stays in VIC. Hes someone who if you could swap a Lumumba for, you would do it.

Ahmed Saad: had a great debut season, handy player who you would spend a late national draft pick for if the oppotunity was there.

Personal wants:

3rd tall defender: I think this is a big need, for several reasons. Since Maxwell retired, Goldsack and Toovey have filled a hole sharing duties with being the 3rd tall. I think people misunderstand Maxwells role, this season he wasnt just playing as the loose man, he played as the third tall defender and had some impressive scalps, he beat 200cm 102kg Ben Griffiths against Richmond, he beat 201cm 96kg Daniel Currie against North, and he kept 193cm 100kg James Podsiadly goalless as a few examples.

The expectation for alot is that Langdon or Scharenberg will take Maxwells role in the side, but i think when people say that, they dont understand Maxwell actually had to play on some big body forwards most weeks, and that Scharenberg and Langdon(2nd year players) would have serious trouble if they had to play on 200cm 100kg resting rucks week in week out. And to be honest, i think what alot of people mean by replacing Maxwell, is playing as the loose man, which is not what Maxwell did against teams that played 3 tall forwards.

I think the best way to go about the 3rd tall situation, is recruiting a ready made one who can provide intercept marking and rebound, and play Matt Scharenberg and Tom Langdon in more attacking roles with both playing on the back flank. I think this benefits both parties.

-Tom Clurey(193cm 89kg Port) to play as the 3rd tall straight away but with further scope to be a number 1-2 key defender long term.

-Ariel Steinberg(191cm 86kg Essendon) is another option, just had his debut and beat Scott Lycett(203cm 103kg). Hes someone who despite not weighing much and not being fast, uses his body very well 1v1, and is someone who id back week in week out to beat resting ruckman and provide intercept marking(his bread and butter) and rebound.

-Jack Watts(196cm 88kg Melbourne) now this is an interesting one, he has been played all over the place, but if i had the option, id play him as a 3rd tall defender and let him settle there.
-Hes a natural intercept mark.
-He has big disposal games down back, had a 7-8 games period during 2012 when he was averaging about 22 disposals a game from the backline(ill get proper stats soon), grabbing 5-10 marks and rebounding very well from the backline.
-He just has great skills, if he was allowed to settle there for an entire season, and the club told him he would be a role player with no Extremely high expectations, i think he could gradually become the best 3rd tall defender in the AFL, he could make a career out of playing on resting ruckman.

Small crumbing forward: This isn't an extreme need for mine, but its one if the opportunity presented itself to recruit one, id be disappointed if the club didn't make at least a play for that player.

Jeff Garlett: I think hes leaving Carlton at the end of the year, whether he goes to WA or stays in VIC. Hes someone who if you could swap a Lumumba for, you would do it.

Ahmed Saad: had a great debut season, handy player who you would spend a late national draft pick for if the oppotunity was there.

I actually think we could get garlett for less and still get a pick for H

Sorry, that probably sounded more narky than it was meant. More trying to think about what I could add to the thread that hasn't already been covered.

Of the ideas you listed, I like the Ahmed Saad idea. Not keen on Watts given what Melbourne would want for him.

In terms of needs, I think we need strengthening in pretty much all areas of the ground, so I'd be happy for us to go best available.

Small Forward with pace that can kick 40 goals in a season and reads crumb like a book.

Jeff Garlett

A big bodied grunt midfielder that is a good at clearances

Aaron Young

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I haven't heard much about him. Is he getting a regular game?
No, but he's dominating NEAFL like Mitchell is at the Swans and like Anthony Miles was last year. Close friends with Miles too, Tigers fans seem keen on him. Played against the Dees last weekend though. 19 disposals @ 84% DE. Game high 8 clearances.

No, but he's dominating NEAFL like Mitchell is at the Swans and like Anthony Miles was last year. Close friends with Miles too, Tigers fans seem keen on him. Played against the Dees last weekend though. 19 disposals @ 84% DE. Game high 8 clearances.

Whiley will play 100 games for someone.

Someone who can take the kick ins and hit targets.
It's not the bloke kicking it in, its all the lazy players on the field not running or blocking to create space to lead to give us more then the one option that side ways kick we always seem to do

Midfield depth.

Using last year as an example Bernie Vince and/or Nicky Dal would have been massive for us.
We have three midfielders and then lots of young players who may or may not become good midfielders.
Recruiting young mids is welcomed but i would also like us too look at some mature bodies.

Crumbing Forward.

Elliot can crumb but is more of a lead up forward. Kennedy and Broomy can crumb but they are too young to be consistent and will be used a lot in the midfield.
Jeff Garlett? Any good ones in the Draft?

Pace.

Would give up a fair bit for a Yarran, Stephen Hill or Brad Hill. We need some good 80 metre players with foot speed and good skills.
I have faith that Young will come good, Freeman could grow into a quality player but I still think that is a gap in our list.

Mark Whiley from GWS also an option.

Still, we have a few of these threads already. Maybe a mega thread for all list management/trade targetting needs?

Whiley is someone id be targeting, good 4th 5th string midfielder at any club, good height, good price and hes hard at the footy. Someone who can average 20-25 disposals a season at AFL if he tries to win his own ball, but can tag if you need him too(Handy if a player has a dominating first quarter, just chuck on him Whiley to play a run with role instead of a full negating role).

Exchange of 3rd round picks kind of deal, and he takes Macaffers spot in the side.

No one over 27-28 years old.

Sorry but we aren't winning a flag in the next 2 seasons why recruit anyone at all over that age, even if they are "free" (as in free agents).

Keep building until we are close then and only then launch after the best older players available.

As for needs;

Defensive depth, both small and tall, maybe state league players are worth a look here.

Midfielders, more inside than out, can only see Adams as reliable going forward as an inside mid.

Small/medium forwards.

Jeffrey Garlett is someone who I do not want. Too inconsistent.

The only consistent small forwards who come to mind (I.e more than 2 goals a game in a season) are Leigh Matthews, Peter Daicos and Kevin Bartlett. Even then over the course of their career they were probably just over 2 goals a game.

If one of those is lurking hidden I'm all for bringing them into the team

like your thoughts on clurey. would be an opportunity to nab is broomhead departs.
Id be more on the side of keeping Broomhead, and trading our second rounder plus steak knives for Clurey if needed.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back