Roast Kennedy keep getting Dropped or Sub?

Remove this Banner Ad

Here's the list of players who qualify for VFL finals & Kenno is on of them.
Can only guess the * next to Oxley & Shazza relates to provided they don't play a senior game - have no idea really and couldn't find out.

COLLINGWOOD

Tony Armstrong, Tim Broomhead, Martin Clarke, Corey Gault, Patrick Karnezis, Ben Kennedy, Quinton Lynch, Kyle Martin, Caolan Mooney, Adam Oxley*, Matt Scharenberg*, Paul Seedsman, Ben Sinclair, Josh Thomas, Peter Yagmoor

Needs to play in VFL this round: Alex Fasolo, Ben Sinclair

So they think Kennedy is a better help at VFL Level?

Maybe BenKen, is getting a chance to be a leader at the ONLY chance at finals this year?

Here's the list of players who qualify for VFL finals & Kenno is on of them.
Can only guess the * next to Oxley & Shazza relates to provided they don't play a senior game - have no idea really and couldn't find out.

COLLINGWOOD

Tony Armstrong, Tim Broomhead, Martin Clarke, Corey Gault, Patrick Karnezis, Ben Kennedy, Quinton Lynch, Kyle Martin, Caolan Mooney, Adam Oxley*, Matt Scharenberg*, Paul Seedsman, Ben Sinclair, Josh Thomas, Peter Yagmoor

Needs to play in VFL this round: Alex Fasolo, Ben Sinclair
Oxley is out for the season anyway.
Yes for Scharenberg, he has qualified, but if he plays an AFL game, then he is ineligible from week 2 of the VFL finals series.

Oxley is out for the season anyway.
Yes for Scharenberg, he has qualified, but if he plays an AFL game, then he is ineligible from week 2 of the VFL finals series.

and I can’t see Scharanberg playing against the Hawks.

Better off playing VFL Finals

Really couldn't care less about the game against GWS. Was looking forward to seeing Kennedy play a full game, what karnezis has to offer at the elite level and why not play gault. Might be his only opportunity ever to play in the ones given he's on the rookie list.

Was a great opportunity to play some kids and who will be in the right she profile when we are ready to contend again.

Get on the Giants at 2.55 while you can caus they'll only get shorter.

I just don't get it.

gault, karnezis?, play some kids that will try, not white whos had all year to prove himself
This is the best post I've read in a while. Spot on. He plays kids like Kennedy, Martin for 1-2 weeks included as subs mind you. Then they get dropped and he makes out in his press conference that he is giving them a chance.. Absolute disgrace, he gives blokes like Blair, Dwyer, Goldsack, White 15 *ing weeks to prove themselves. News flash Nathan kids are your future stop trying to protect what it is you had left with these experienced blokes handing out the same over and over again. How about giving some kids 5-6 weeks to prove themselves, then if they aren't good enough get rid of them. Can't coach. Go GWS

This is the best post I've read in a while. Spot on. He plays kids like Kennedy, Martin for 1-2 weeks included as subs mind you. Then they get dropped and he makes out in his press conference that he is giving them a chance.. Absolute disgrace, he gives blokes like Blair, Dwyer, Goldsack, White 15 ruddy weeks to prove themselves. News flash Nathan kids are your future stop trying to protect what it is you had left with these experienced blokes handing out the same over and over again. How about giving some kids 5-6 weeks to prove themselves, then if they aren't good enough get rid of them. Can't coach. Go GWS
wow im chuffed, thanks.

Feels like a lost opportunity to blood some kids at the expense of the likes of well tried, older intermediate players.

Stunned at Kennedy's omission and would love to know the thinking behind it - who is the future of our club - Blair or Kennedy??

This was the perfect game for Kennedy to get another games experience under his belt and perhaps one where he'd just have a tiny bit less pressure on himself.

Sad Karnezis wasn't given a run too.

Never been less fussed whether we win or lose this - at least a loss might see some more new faces next week, which is probably more important in the long run.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think the anger on this board (and from supporters everywhere) is completely justified. The mixed messages coming from this club at the moment are astounding.

On one hand they are asking fans to be patient because we are rebuilding, changing our "age profile" and going down the youth road. I think 99% of fans would be happy to go along with this - if that's was actually occurring.

But then on the other hand, they continually overlook promising young players like BenKen, Martin, Seedsman, Broomhead (until recently) and Karnezis while C graders like Blair, Lumumba, Toovey, White, Dwyer and Goldsack are gifted games regardless of form.

The young guys are always the ones to pay the price when it's clearly the older heads letting us down.

So not only are we s**t and sliding down the ladder, the talent we have sacrificed so much for is rotting away in the VFL while mediocre hacks continually get picked when we all know they ain't taking us anywhere.

Investing in youth = load of bullsh*t.

It's a good thing I'm done with Buckley because otherwise this would have blown my mind! We get done by 11 goals and we omit a kid yet senior players survive.

We're fed the line that we're now in a re-building phase and then cop this. Lunatics running the asylum...

Kenno and Gaultt are emergencies.
There's still a chance they will play, it would be unusual to upgrade Gualt and not play him.
History shows we only upgrade when they're playing, let's just wait and see.

Last edited:
Kenno and Gualt are emergencies.
There's still a chance they will play, it would be unusual to upgrade Gualt and not play him.
History shows we only upgrade when they're playing, let's just wait and see.

I know that your just trying to put a somewhat positive spin on it, but even if they're both late ins it doesn't make the decision to omit Kennedy any less moronic.

Kennedy is probably one of the unluckiest players in our list this year. He has barely been given a chance, and when he gets one he has done pretty well only to be dropped again later.

I don't see him at training sessions or know if he is pulling up incredibly sore or something, but I have seen enough of his footy this year to know he can offer more to the team than either Jarryd Blair or Sam Dwyer. Mind boggling selections this season.

If I was Kennedy I would request a trade out for sure if I was wanted by a SA team. Why would I stay and play for a club that always has me as a sub or in the VFL. He was named as an emergency last week as well which I was angry at on the train to the footy and if Pendles didn't go out he would have been an emergency again.

It's not like we are good side that there is no room for Kennedy, there is room for him!

This is beyond crap now and at the stage of the season when we should be giving games to these young players we are dropping them. WTF is going on and how the hell is Ramsey getting a game in front of him. There is no doubt if I was still playing local football and I was Kennedy I would be out of the club that treated me like that straight away.

I feel so sorry for the bloke because he can't crack it in a s**t side and he is considered the future of the club.

I think the anger on this board (and from supporters everywhere) is completely justified. The mixed messages coming from this club at the moment are astounding.

On one hand they are asking fans to be patient because we are rebuilding, changing our "age profile" and going down the youth road. I think 99% of fans would be happy to go along with this - if that's was actually occurring.

But then on the other hand, they continually overlook promising young players like BenKen, Martin, Seedsman, Broomhead (until recently) and Karnezis while C graders like Blair, Lumumba, Toovey, White, Dwyer and Goldsack are gifted games regardless of form.

The young guys are always the ones to pay the price when it's clearly the older heads letting us down.

So not only are we s**t and sliding down the ladder, the talent we have sacrificed so much for is rotting away in the VFL while mediocre hacks continually get picked when we all know they ain't taking us anywhere.

Investing in youth = load of bullsh*t.

Very well put. The club is feeding us bullshit & they change their tune on a near weekly basis. Far too much spin & excuses coming out at the moment. I think we have been very poor at handling Kennedy & Martin this year. Despite all the injuries that the club has bemoaned this season, these 2 guys have not been given a fair dinkum crack at it. Both Kennedy & Martin excel in the midfield & that is where they play in the VFL. Then when they get handed a green vest in the AFL, they are expected to play a totally different role in the forward line & if they don't make an immediate impact in the 1 or 2 quarters they get, then they get dropped. Piss poor man management. What youth policy are we going with again?

It's to do with the age/experience profile I suggest.

We obviously do not want to get caned by 15 goals by the GWS. This is exactly what would happen if we played "all the kids" in this game.

The ironic thing is that this board would melt down even more and everyone would then scream the place down about picking these youngsters who aren't up to it.

I'm dissapointed Kennedy is out too. I rate him. I just think there is a reason but, unfortunately, we have not been made privy to it.

We obviously do not want to get caned by 15 goals by the GWS. This is exactly what would happen if we played "all the kids" in this game.

The ironic thing is that this board would melt down even more and everyone would then scream the place down about picking these youngsters who aren't up to it.

I'm dissapointed Kennedy is out too. I rate him. I just think there is a reason but, unfortunately, we have not been made privy to it.

Kennedy is up to it. He has proved as much already. Ramsay is in the side & I'm not convinced he is. Nor am I with Gault.

I get what your saying. But to be honest who cares you're not going to win the flag with players like Dwyer, Blair, Goldsack ($450k hahaha), Ball so if giving Kennedy, Gault, Kyle a chance to prove themselves and you get flogged but one or two of the guys mention look the part you would get more long term. Pies won't win flag this year, so play the damn kids that have been playing well in the VFL and the ones that have been performing all ALL year. Give Kennedy, Kyle whoever else a fair crack at it. Thomas selection this week was baffling I saw his performance 1st hand and I Buckley recons he doesn't gift games here is a perfect example of him contradicting himself. Read Rocca's review anyone who disputes this. BTW I like Thomas but he didn't deserve selection this week in front of Kennedy for starters.

Let's say I was looking to make a list transition and to move on older players who I did not think were going to feature in the next premiership tilt. What I would do is explain to my first to third year players that they are the future that they will be the key players in the next few years. I would even sign them up after a few games even if they are in and out of the side.

Let's say I had older players who played similar roles to these younger players and I had identified that had a lower scope for improvement and wouldn't be in the next premiership team, though may still be valuable contributers to other teams.

Let's say I identified early on that this year was not going to be a premiership year. I would be playing these older players a lot more than the younger players to show that they are still of value to other teams who may be interested come trade time. At the same time I would be telling the younger players that they may be in and out of the side for one year but if they continued to perform as they had, they would be locks in a potential premiership side.

Last edited:
certainly makes no sense that he gets dropped given our injury rate and he has shown enough to hold his spot. perhaps the only reason that I can see for the change is that given the experience lost bucks has gone for bringing in a more experienced squad.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back