Rumour Heretier Lumumba threatens to quit & Pies say "Good idea"

**** sake it's because of people like Harry O'Brien that we live in a nanny state

You have no idea what a nanny state is then -

it's because of people like Heretier that people are slowly getting the courage to call people out on the crap that they spread. There is a massive difference between 'being offended' and knowing that something would make other people uncomfortable....

If people use homophobic language around me, or make light of another's lifestyle in order to make a punchline, I'll call them on their crap

There is not an ounce in my bone that would get offended by it, but it doesn't mean I'll just let that s**t slide either...

Can we close this thread, please?

Bigfooty's favourite passtime is ragging on Goodes and Lumumba because they don't tow the line in what alot of you throwbacks think should be cannon fodder for unfunny punchlines...

By the way, when someone complains about this stuff, they aren't accusing the perpetrator of actually literally hating gays or wanting them to have higher suicide rates or anything. He's just saying "Hey, maybe you haven't thought about it from the perspective of a gay person" and he expects upon hearing that information that the perpetrator would take it down, or the club would in their stead.

Nobody is accusing people of hating gays, but they are saying that having a complete indifference to these issues can be just as harmful.

You have no idea what a nanny state is then -

it's because of people like Heretier that people are slowly getting the courage to call people out on the crap that they spread. There is a massive difference between 'being offended' and knowing that something would make other people uncomfortable....

If people use homophobic language around me, or make light of another's lifestyle in order to make a punchline, I'll call them on their crap

There is not an ounce in my bone that would get offended by it, but it doesn't mean I'll just let that s**t slide either...

Can we close this thread, please?

Bigfooty's favourite passtime is ragging on Goodes and Lumumba because they don't tow the line in what alot of you throwbacks think should be cannon fodder for unfunny punchlines...

Exactly. I'm ashamed of it but in my younger days I was known to tell racist, homophobic or offensive jokes because that was acceptable in my mind. But eventually there comes a time when you realise how ****ed up it is to do that. And you go one of two ways: you either sack up and change your opinion and acknowledge you codoned hurtful behaviour, or you make excuses for it, thinner and thinner but never conceding that you might have ever been harming someone by accident.

Cynical horseshit. You know very well that the Mardi Gras is symbolic of the " open" gay culture....trying to pretend otherwise is a lame deception.

D minus...go stand in the corner...drop kick.

Maybe 20 years ago it was, but not today. If anything, nowadays the Mardi gras today just enforces stereotypes.

That I can agree with
If Lumumba feel's that way, he has every right to leave
But its the idea that anyone who get upset in a situation automatically is seen to be in the right

Well I don't think that would be fair either. I get upset at some things that the majority might not see as being right, and vice versa. But its where someone can feel individually victimised at work due to something out of their control like sexuality that you have to draw the line on "harmless" jokes imo.

That I can agree with
If Lumumba feel's that way, he has every right to leave
But its the idea that anyone who get upset in a situation automatically is seen to be in the right

If the facts are as stated...then he was.

Unfo...that doesn't mean he can change the world....so he probably should have dealt with it on a different level..

So you can't believe you are doing the right thing, nor hold a set of principles unless you are sure that you have absolute support?
Harry can believe what he wants
Im talking from a public perspective. People seem to want to always take the side of the person who got offended instead of looking at the issue (except on this site, because most hate Harry)

By the way, when someone complains about this stuff, they aren't accusing the perpetrator of actually literally hating gays or wanting them to have higher suicide rates or anything. He's just saying "Hey, maybe you haven't thought about it from the perspective of a gay person" and he expects upon hearing that information that the perpetrator would take it down, or the club would in their stead.

Nobody is accusing people of hating gays, but they are saying that having a complete indifference to these issues can be just as harmful.

As someone whose main circle of friends is predominantly gay the notion of this being a "slur" or offensive to gay people is quite humorous

Harry can believe what he wants
Im talking from a public perspective. People seem to want to always take the side of the person who got offended instead of looking at the issue (except on this site, because most hate Harry)

Can you give recent example to highlight what you mean? Not saying I disagree.

If the facts are as stated...then he was.

Unfo...that doesn't mean he can change the world....so he probably should have dealt with it on a different level..
I feel uncomfortable about someone who is straight being the spokesperson on what is homophobic and what isn't

Like when white people try tell you its okay to use the n word.

As someone whose main circle of friends is predominantly gay the notion of this being a "slur" or offensive to gay people is quite humorous

It might be very difficult for someone who plays football and is not open with their sexuality and has millions of dollars on the line. Perhaps you should consider the point of view of the actual employees it might effect, and the standard they for better or worse do set for society, not your mates.

Its as much a workplace health and safety issue as it is a homophobia issue.

Look forward to you listing the many many examples....Nah...thought not...

Or is it ok to stand up for whats right once....but two or three times makes you a "whining black NTTAWWTter"????

Reading this forum....thats the conclusion......

Last year he reckoned he experienced "casual racism" while driving his car. Watched his speech at last year's b&f and wanted to scream. Nothing against sensitive types generally but this man is unbearable.

Someone tell him Brazil's the big one underneath the USA.

Henry Rollins isn't wrong because he was offensive. He is wrong because he's wrong scientifically.

Back