Preview National Draft discussion (Picks 14, 35, 43, 58)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

I did see that Billy got BOG against us in the SANFL a few weeks ago....(controversially ahead of Matt Crouch I might add)

My priority list for our pick (blokes who just have no chance of being there excluded)

1. Lever
2. Durdin
3. Daylight
4. Laverde
5. Goddard
6. Weller
7. Menadue
8. Marchbank
9. Ahern
10. Duggan
11. Pickett
I havent heard much about Daylight and I cant find him in your phantom draft at all. What does he offer??

I havent seen any of these guys but based on what I have read menadue sounds like a bit of project and I dont really want be picking a project midfielder at pick 9.

Skippos Dittmar mentioned that Jars nephew has only been playing footy for a couple of years and is at Port. Apparently all 18 clubs have talked to him, any info?

Yeah heard the same thing.

Declan Hamilton. Good player, not really much resemblance in the way he plays. Should go 30-60. I wouldn't read much into the interest in him, 18 clubs would have spoken to many prospects by now.

What type of player? If he's only played footy for a couple of years after playing soccer he might have a s**t load of development still

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sorry lads, I did get tagged in this thread a while ago but have been away.

Now I took Daniel in the second round of the BF phantom to make a statement. Not necessarily where he will go. But it makes me angry that blokes with his ability get overlooked for some athlete who couldn't hit the side of a barn with a beachball. I'd LOVE him to come to the crows, he's probably the smartest Under 18 kid I have seen in about 5-7 years. His ability to make decisions in congestion and then execute is miles above his peers, even in the SANFL he is probably smarter than anyone else out there, you can see it in the way he moves with and without the ball. He couldn't possibly do anymore to draw attention. I want a player like that playing for my club period. His size is indeed small but it is not impossible. it can be done if you have exceptional ability. A vanilla 167cm footballer that can get 40touches a game is not going to do that in the AFL. He'll be destined for the lower leagues. But give that player some weapons and he can be useful and also dangerous. Elite hands in congestion, Daniel has lightning hands, balance and centre of gravity is cat like, he rarely goes to ground and if he does he is up so fast it barely matters. Ferocious tackler, he is not a one way player. Elite endurance and agility and a strong kick off his right and competent off his left if required but he will prefer the right. He's nippy but not quick, just looks fast as he takes small steps, but his straight line speed is not his game and doesn't need to be. He'll always be a player that the opposition will be looking to stop due to his smarts, he'll simply sum up a contest before anyone else and be in the right spot, especially as a crumber, he's very good at that but more than capable playing as a rover. But he would start as a small forward in the AFL and be pretty damn good at it. He's a lot better than Jake Neade. A lot, lot better and for only 3cm? Please.

Anyways enough about him, I think with the first pick we need a 10+ year CHB. Talia is our FB but Hartigan is not the answer at CHB, he can do the job but we can draft someone better. Pick 9 should be best availble key defender unless a freak occurence happens when a top 5 player slides to pick 9. I wouldn't be drafting a key forward with 9. Outside pace and key defender are even in need, we have a lot of slow plodder types, we need some run. Hawthorn have so many of these runners, Birchall, Suckling, Hill, Smith just to name a few. They are line-breakng and dangerous and we need someone. Smith is one....but eventually he is destined for the midfield, we need a couple more off half-back, Reilly is shot, Henderson is not the answer off the half back line, Jaensch I still prefer across half-forward than across half-back with his defensive liabilities. The quality defenders will be gone by our second pick so very hopeful we go a CHB with pick 9. Lever, Goddard and lord even Durdin by some freak chance he is available. But I have Lever and Durdin very similar in ranking. Really like Lever. Goddard will be a fantastic player, he's a component in a winning side, no-fuss KP player who can play either end but I think CHB will be his spot. I also love Weller, but if we go for a CHB with pick 9, he'll be long gone by our next pick. He could well be gone by 9 anyway. Gun.

After this, second and third picks should be pace and the last pick anyone else. A late pick or rookie should go to a mature aged player or two. A ruckman and a ready made mid/half back. Josh Glenn would be good but he should be gone by the third round. He's a top 30 talent that's for sure. Brooksby would be my first pick as a ruck, Darcy Cameron are a couple as well. Baulderstone is also a chance, if he can improve his tank a bit he'll be a likely picl such is his ability to find the ball around the ground as well as ruck strongly. Brooksby also is very good around the ground and fights for the footy on the ground. I don't know what has become of Angus Graham, in his first few years at Richmond he was a high leaping, high poessesion mobile ruckman/forward. Now he is lampost without power.

I havent heard much about Daylight and I cant find him in your phantom draft at all. What does he offer??

I havent seen any of these guys but based on what I have read menadue sounds like a bit of project and I dont really want be picking a project midfielder at pick 9.

Is an expression, sorry :p. Inserting daylight into lists like that is my way of saying 'there's a pretty significantly gap here, the gap is so large you can see daylight between it'

What type of player? If he's only played footy for a couple of years after playing soccer he might have a s**t load of development still

I like Hamilton as a junior but I'm not particularly sold on what he'd offer at the next level. I certainly hope he can make it. He's got okay speed but he's not someone whose speed defines him, he's a solid kick but it lacks a bit of penetration and has a 45 metre range only. His sidestep is fantastic as is his spacial awareness which assists him with his distribution by hand which is elite. He's still more of an outside player though. Finds enough of the ball and is a rake at the moment so needs a pre season or two in the gym. Can play off either flank but seems like more of a midfielder to me. Has the awareness and smarts to make it - I've got him as a smaller and weaker version of Jackson MacRae atm. Less composure and poise too. Both have low ranged and non penetrating kicks but MacRae despite that is able to still get it where it needs to go and kicks just as efficiently under pressure - he's a bit classier. Hamilton is a bit more rushed, panicky and just in general less composed.

But in general I consider Hamilton a weaker version of MacRae. Smaller, less of an accumulator and less classy but their +s and -s are similar as is the way they go about it.

*Alarm Bells*

James Fantasia on SA Footy on Channel Nine said if he was incharge, he would definitely pick up Durdin with our first pick.

Does that mean avoid at all costs?

I guess with our track record of KPF development, we're as good of a shot as any to make him into a star... just wish we still had Rutten.

Would Lyons and our second round pick be worth another pick in the top 10, Melbourne were interested in Lyons last year and they might end up with 3 picks in the top 10

If not Douglas and our second round pick surely would be, then we could get robinson to replace Douglas as that B Grade player but A grade attack at the footy

he will play as a key defender, not as a key forward.

Was a typo... alluded to by the fact i mentioned i wish we still had Rutten, who Talia attributed a lot of his development to (that and Dasher)

I wish we had 2 top 15 picks.

I get the feeling we may have a good opportunity to trade into the first round. A lot of teams may see this as a week draft and may want to bring in a ready made player in stead of drafting a kid.

I get the feeling we may have a good opportunity to trade into the first round. A lot of teams may see this as a week draft and may want to bring in a ready made player in stead of drafting a kid.

I hope so

Like I would draft Lever first as he can be a 10+ KPD
Next would be as I can see Weller/Ahern as 10+Midfielder

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back