Recruiting Targets Summary

Remove this Banner Ad

As I wrote a page or two back Monfries becomes the critical link to us getting Paddy.

Monfries has similar ASADA issues to Ryder and the club would have gone through all the what if scenario's with him and he would have advise Ryder this. Brisbane cant do that. All those what if uncertainties can be shared with Gus at Port and Port would do for Paddy what they will do for Gus. Brisbane haven't done that thinking to the nth degree like Port.
It's great to finally have a professional club

It's great to finally have a professional club

Not finally - but back - we were a bloody professional club for a long time before we lost our way - partly because of those huge structural changes that needed to happen, but didn't, and they crippled our club, and as more money got into the game and the GFC hit, we suffered immensely.

Last edited:

The AFL should settle the Ryder issue by declaring he can walk due to breach of contract... but he would walk as a free agent - not a delisted free agent. Then essendon get compensation pick for him.
It would avoid legal wranglings and ensure they were not completely rooted by players leaving... it may be enough for them to back off a little.
And of course means we dont give anything up :)

The AFL should settle the Ryder issue by declaring he can walk due to breach of contract... but he would walk as a free agent - not a delisted free agent. Then essendon get compensation pick for him.
It would avoid legal wranglings and ensure they were not completely rooted by players leaving... it may be enough for them to back off a little.

Makes so much sense you know the AFL will never do it. :p

I get the sense that AFL is happy for Essendon to 'disperse' the damage of the ASADA issue across the league.

Wasn't there an indication from the AFL that they would take any payments to players hit with ASADA bans out of the cap?

Some clubs have probably worked out a strategic approach to this risk.

That is too logical for Mark The Moron Evans to allow.

AFL Conspiracy theory on this. Essendon lose half a dozen players that are under scrutiny from Asada and pick up compensation picks because of this breach of contract clause. When the 6 months bans come in the pain is spread around to some other clubs and essedon can still pick a team from listed players albeit not that competitive. Gives away for the ban to work while allowing afl to still schedule essendon games ?????

Serious question, would people be willing to give up our pick 18 for Ryder? 27 next year in March.

I am assuming that this clause in his contract doesn't mean he can just walk to us for nothing (Like a delisted FA) and we will have to trade to get him?

Rucci wrote that Brisbane is well ahead of Port in the chase for Ryder and thinks the club is being used as auction fodder.

Now even I am getting excited!

Serious question, would people be willing to give up our pick 18 for Ryder? 27 next year in March.

I am assuming that this clause in his contract doesn't mean he can just walk to us for nothing (Like a delisted FA) and we will have to trade to get him?

Have you not been paying attention? :p

Ryder could walk
Essendon star Paddy Ryder could quit the club at the end of the season with his management looking at triggering a new breach-of-contract clause that would allow him to walk as a delisted free agent.
Ryder could walk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Never mind, he'll have flip-flopped 6 times by the time Ryder makes a decision. Remember his backflips throughout the Polec saga?

That's why I'm getting excited. Rucci thinks it won't happen. :D

That's why I'm getting excited. Rucci thinks it won't happen. :D

Yeah, but Rucci will probably have changed his mind three times by lunchtime tomorrow. On the other hand, if Stephen Rowe says it won't happen, then it's time to head to the megastore to preorder your Paddy Ryder badge.

Last edited:
Yeah, but Rucci will probably have changed his mind three times by lunchtime tomorrow. But when Stephen Rowe says it won't happen, then it's time to head to the megastore to preorder your Paddy Ryder badge.

Good thinking 99. :thumbsu:

Yeah, but Rucci will probably have changed his mind three times by lunchtime tomorrow. On the other hand, when Stephen Rowe says it won't happen, then it's time to head to the megastore to preorder your Paddy Ryder badge.
"Whispers" said today that "port are after Ryder, Cameron and Walker and will get none of them"... Don't know if that counts

I just love it that we are in a position to recruit mature players that match our needs which might put us in premiership contention and yet we are still such a young list overall with plenty of good years ahead. Unlike a Freo situation where they are recruiting for the next year or two to have a crack at a flag before key personnel retire.

Essendon taking one of their own players to court? Wouldn't that just about be the final nail in the coffin.

Some sort of trade would get done...
Could write a song about that. "Ryder caused a storm".

Actually, the so-called exit clause is not written anywhere in his contract - it's contained in the most recent Collective Bargaining Agreement negotiated by the AFLPA and allows a player to terminate their current contract if they can prove that their club has breached the contract (including by failing its duty of care to the player's welfare). So there would be grounds to challenge on a number of fronts - did Essendon actually breach its duty of care to him, can the new CBA apply retrospectively to a contract signed before the CBA came into effect, and has Ryder waived his right to seek termination given he re-signed with the club after the breach was alleged to have occurred in 2011/12.
Son of Perry Mason

Remove this Banner Ad

Back