Sando sacked - confirmed **** crows only ****

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
This thread is interesting, maybe if the mods could open it. Drugs Are Bad Mackay?

It shows the list of coaches we were interested back in 2011, and Dew was on the list.

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/consolidated-new-coach-thread.851317/
Interesting read and thanks for the link. Great OP from Johnny Rutten

Not going to re-open though, just because we have a heap of coaching threads on the go at the moment.

Feel free to copy and paste any points of interest though.

my take is roo knew sando wasn't A grade before roo even took the job. I mean hell, I knew it, im sure Roo would've. Id trust his eye even from outside the club, certainly more than caros! A few unfavourable end of season reviews from players and staff, and lets face it, a WOEFUL end to the season - results wise, media wise, clutch game wise and selection wise, was all that was needed for roo to take action and start moving things in the direction that he thinks is gonna bring some glory back to this club. Weve all said it, Sando was a nice guy, but he was mediocre.
The Melbourne media are stunned because in truth they see us as a mediocre club, that's why they cant understand the decision. they're like 'what are they doing?!? they might've made the 8 next year?!'
they think we should be happy with that. they think we should be over the moon with an ok coach. Scraping into the 8. Maybe a premiership or two once every 20 years.

well **** that. The roovolution is here. get onboard or get the **** out the way.

I agree that Roo would have had a strong opinion about Sando. As I said earlier I have been advocating the removal of Sando since mid 2013. Mind you I was only thinking this way because at no stage did Sando instill any confidence in me. Not saying I know best but if I was thinking it then I am sure a more astute person like Roo would have see it too

Alive and well mate :)

Short version - met a Polish girl in Milan in April when I was over there on a work trip. Kept in touch a little, she half jokingly invited me to her sisters wedding; I flippantly said I'd go, few days later she said if I was serious, she'd love me to come...

So I decided to throw caution to the wind for a change, and I went :)

Spent the last 18 days in Poland, traveling around with her; had the most amazing time.
You know you have to marry her now, right?

You could invite us all to the wedding.

There are so many leaks at so many Clubs, so naturally this came as a shock to the AFL media.

Did Rowie say who told him about the rumour? I guess there was a leak somewhere at the Club which Rowie knows off.
Later unintentionally he let out that it was the club that tipped him off, I'd say not officially but someone down there.

Did Rowie say who told him about the rumour? I guess there was a leak somewhere at the Club which Rowie knows off.[/QUOTE]

My interpretation is an employee of the AFC who doesn't agree with the sacking contacted Rowie, but because they were so low down on the food chain of representatives from the club, 5AA could not go with it and I suspect the same person rang Triple M but they also refused to move.

Interesting read and thanks for the link. Great OP from Johnny Rutten

Not going to re-open though, just because we have a heap of coaching threads on the go at the moment.

Feel free to copy and paste any points of interest though.
Great insight Johnny Rutten!

Did Rowie say who told him about the rumour? I guess there was a leak somewhere at the Club which Rowie knows off.

My interpretation is an employee of the AFC who doesn't agree with the sacking contacted Rowie, but because they were so low down on the food chain of representatives from the club, 5AA could not go with it and I suspect the same person rang Triple M but they also refused to move.[/QUOTE]

Not sure how big the Admin is at the Crows, but you would think after a group of people know that then the floodgates would open.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You know you have to marry her now, right?

You could invite us all to the wedding.

Serious?

Ah well, she's pretty great, so be it ;)

She's actually in Sydney for six months as of next weekend, so I'll see what happens.

Anyway, back to the subject at hand...

I told you all Sando couldn't coach, and was actively damaging our playing group. Thank God we had the courage to pull the trigger - and I'm certain that's thanks to Roo.

The Scotty Thommo thing telling Sando to pull his head in has been mentioned; has the rumor that Sando savagely denigrated Luke T in front of the playing group after a bad loss been floated? Or that we had disciplinary issues with a couple of players this year, where Sando's response was so pissweak that a couple of leading players tried to step in? Or a report done by an expert on process/methodologies on our coaching that was designed to help Sando improve, which was apparently ignored or lost immediately?

Sando was a crap coach, a crap leader, he cannot be in charge, and thank Christ we woke up to it.

Don't know this Bali rumour though; someone aware me?

Fages looks a gun too.

Very very rich for Bomber Thompson to be throwing stones at us, when you consider their Club is a total basketcase given everything that has happened to them over the past couple of years.

That is one Club that actually should have had a cleanout, instead they gave Hird a contract extension.

In fairness to Bomber, the question was thrown at him at a terrible time personally for him and since Sando was a mate. I personally don't think the crows would give Bomber the job anyhow even if he begged for it. Every opportunity the guy has had over the past 12 months he has said he didn't want to be a long term coach. Was only ever earmarked as a potential senior assistant anyhow.

He came out with four or five very carefully constructed and rehearsed lines from our media department.

"It's a performance-based industry..."

"We haven't made the finals two years in a row.."

"Player input happens every year...."

"This club is run by management, not the players."

Rinse. Repeat.

It sounded like he had Rob Chapman in his ear piece.

I felt sorry for him. It's tough to watch a natural born leader, the face of our club, the guy who should be the captain, being puppeteered by a management that has made more balls-ups than you can poke a ******* stick at.

Yes I can see that, but it is standard fare at pressers. You have to have answer lines that you stick to.

My admiration is for Patty. He was signed onto the FShow prior to the Sando event. He did well. The pressure to perform on national TV playing the team game is no less than the pressure to perform for the team on Saturday afternoon.

Not sure how big the Admin is at the Crows, but you would think after a group of people know that then the floodgates would open.

Staff would have been told mid afternoon, my guess right before rowie was tipped off, the club had to ring all their major sponsors and contact senior staff on holidays and contact all the playing group and no doubt had a leadership meeting with the board to discuss media strategy. This all unfortunately takes time. In my view its extremely poor form by the guy who leaked it, it put the club under intense pressure and undue speculation and did not allow the club to put a united front across. So idiots like penberthy who are saying the club publicly executed Sando isn't true, the media did and the guy who tipped the media off robbed everyone.

I think Roos comments about players staying at clubs because they believe in the direction of the clubs the most pointed one.

I don't think Danger or anyone had said they were leaving for sure unless Sando was gone.

However, I think several had expressed concern about where the club was stand the direction of the club. This in relation to Sando and probably other areas like recruiting, fitness dept, etc. This concern was then coming into calculations when considering their futures.

The decision was made that we needed to make changes to increase the chances of keeping quality players.

Whether any were definitely leaving, or are now definitely staying is another matter. But to me it was clearly a matter of needing to make changes to give ourselves the best chance of keeping players now and in the future (and also not having to pay significant overs to do so) as well as attracting them.

This^

Serious?

Ah well, she's pretty great, so be it ;)

She's actually in Sydney for six months as of next weekend, so I'll Ah well, she's pretty great, so be it ;)

She's actually in Sydney for six months as of next weekend, so I'll see what happens.see what happens.

Anyway, back to the subject at hand...

I told you all Sando couldn't coach, and was actively damaging our playing group. Thank God we had the courage to pull the trigger - and I'm certain that's thanks to Roo.

The Scotty Thommo thing telling Sando to pull his head in has been mentioned; has the rumor that Sando savagely denigrated Luke T in front of the playing group after a bad loss been floated? Or that we had disciplinary issues with a couple of players this year, where Sando's response was so pissweak that a couple of leading players tried to step in? Or a report done by an expert on process/methodologies on our coaching that was designed to help Sando improve, which was apparently ignored or lost immediately?

Sando was a crap coach, a crap leader, he cannot be in charge, and thank Christ we woke up to it.

Don't know this Bali rumour though; someone aware me?

Fages looks a gun too.
Yay! I *ing love romantic endings!!

EDIT: 'ruddy'?? I never use the word 'ruddy'. What I wrote was an abbreviation of the word '****ing'.

:)

Yes I can see that, but it is standard fare at pressers. You have to have answer lines that you stick to.

My admiration is for Patty. He was signed onto the FShow prior to the Sando event. He did well. The pressure to perform on national TV playing the team game is no less than the pressure to perform for the team on Saturday afternoon.

I agree, its one thing to just go on tv and sprout company lines but if he didn't believe in the words and the direction of the club he is one hell of an actor and wasting his time playing footy!

Some of this stuff makes a bit of sense now.

If there was a communication breakdown, where coach didnt do reviews or give feedback, it would explain why, to my eye, that some of our players actually seemed to go backwards in the last two years but this year especially. Laird seemed to go backwards badly. I know they tried him in a different role to gain flexibility but when he started to wane should have been put back down back to keep confidence up. There were several others that seemed to go worse over time. Crouch had one shocker towards the end of the year. Cameron started great then got worse. Sometimes its hard to tell if players drop off cos of the wear and tear of the season or for things such as relationship damage but Jenkins and Kerridge both dropped off as well.

It would also explain why the players weren't playing for the coach. When the commentators talk about people not working hard enough both ways that is a sure sign they're not playing for the coach. This happened a bit this year. I don't think the players were lost anywhere as bad as at the end of the Craig era, but you could also see its dropped since the start of the Sando era.

At the very start of Sanderson's time with the crows I can remember some of the commentators joking about how hard it would be going from coaching Bartel, Selwood, Enright, Taylor etc to coaching at another team. At Geelong you just have to tell those people to do "it" whatever "it" is and they can because they're Bartel etc but for a coach now having to deal with mere mortals, they may get frustrated because these people cant just do "it" and have to learn how to do this. Perhaps Sanderson's frustrations with the players (esp young players) inability to do things he thought they should be able to drove a wedge between them.

Our starts were horrendous. Doesn't matter if we talk start of the season or start of a game. I wonder if Sando was a person who knows what they want to do but isn't good at elaborating it in words in advance. (that's why we had crap starts) The sort of person that needs the season or the game started and then can use examples etc with what's going on to illustrate their point. ( that's why once the season and game was going we came good) The ability to elaborate in advance and take things from your head and paint a picture in words is not an easy skill. I know heaps of people that can't do it. I can do it but that's for relatively undynamic and un-people related things, I would hate to have to try and do it with an AFL team.

I'd say Sando was a good talker when all he had to do was talk, I'd say he was someone who interviewed really well and we got sucked in, still its not easy to avoid that, in a male industry when people come in with alpha male and strong leader persona and back it up with decisive plans and have great people skills its hard to ignore these people. Our psychologies are geared towards liking these people. Still, in a critical situation like this (recruiting AFL coach) they should have been alert to this. When I've done recruitment you've got to be alert to people who can present an image of looking like they know what they are doing versus people who actually do know what they are doing. This is why I have no time for Ross Lyon, I'm not saying he's a 2/10 coach, far from it, but I think most people look at the incorrect indicators to gauge how good he is. He's twice come into a pretty good setup, yeah, he's got teams to grand finals, but would harvey or thomas have got them too them as well? At Fremantle it was Mark Harvey who finally turned that ship around. It is far harder to turn a ship around than it is to continue a ship sailing on the correct course after its been set on that path. This is why I'd much rather have Harvey than Lyon at the Crows. I imagine Harvey might not have got them to the grandy last year, but he had them on a steady upward trend and the lower performance he would have achieved would have been because of a greater focus on youth and be heading towards sustained success which Lyon looks to have sacrificed (time will tell).

By the way, in none of this do I think Sando is a crap coach. In fact I'm almost certain that if he gets another head coach gig, he will do very well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back