Open Mike with Jason Akermanis

Remove this Banner Ad

At the end of the day the Bulldogs had once again blown their chances at making a grand final and were facing another rebuild with nothing to show for it, and they needed an escape goat.

We didn't need an escape goat any other time we blew our chances at a grand final (In 2009 the umpire blowing riewoldt blew it for us though).

Didn't need it this time. We were a good side but not at the level of the premiership sides. Aker was just a twat and as he got older him being a good footballer no longer was able to gloss it over. He was absolute s**t the year we sacked him.

Have they been refuted by anyone?

Can Aker prove Cooney said it? Until then Aker can only allege that was said. Burden of proof usually comes on the accuser.

Cooney is a pretty shy guy who doesn't do much media. Has he ever been asked?

Can Aker prove Cooney said it? Until then Aker can only allege that was said. Burden of proof usually comes on the accuser.

Akermanis' version seems more than reasonable, from where I'm sitting. And that's good enough for me. Of course Bulldogs supporters aren't going to believe it. That's to be expected. 'Burden of proof'...hilarious. Cooney (and any number of teammates) could have easily refuted it via Twitter.

Isn't he on the Footy Show regularly? If Aka was lying, why would he pick Cooney then?

Akermanis' version seems more than reasonable, from where I'm sitting. And that's good enough for me. Of course Bulldogs supporters aren't going to believe it. That's to be expected. 'Burden of proof'...hilarious. Cooney (and any number of teammates) could have easily refuted it via Twitter.

Isn't he on the Footy Show regularly? If Aka was lying, why would he pick Cooney then?
Apologies but can hardly take you seriously in that case, given his track record.
Are you of the view that Aker was the only team member who had to sit out the front?

Classic. You probably lap up everything Sam Newman says too. Cooney isn't a footy show regular. He has been on a couple of times and they speak to him for maybe two minutes tops.

Does someone need to refute every allegation against them? or maybe they just choose to not give it airtime.

Lowest-common-denominator footy show watching types like you are the reason Aker gets so much airtime.

Classic. You probably lap up everything Sam Newman says too. Cooney isn't a footy show regular. He has been on a couple of times and they speak to him for maybe two minutes tops. Lowest-common-denominator footy show watching types like you are the reason Aker gets so much airtime.

Does someone need to refute every allegation against them? or maybe they just choose to not give it airtime.

Apologies but can hardly take you seriously in that case, given his track record.
Are you of the view that Aker was the only team member who had to sit out the front?

I really don't care if you take me seriously or not. I've actually been through the same sort of process myself and it's fair to say that some players cop a wet lettuce leaf, while others get absolutely hammered during these home truths sessions. As an outsider, a bit of a loose cannon and a guy who by his own admission in the Open Mike interview 'didn't give a s**t about the other players' when he was away from the club, I'll let you guess which treatment Akermanis is likely to have copped.

Classic. You probably lap up everything Sam Newman says too. Cooney isn't a footy show regular. He has been on a couple of times and they speak to him for maybe two minutes tops. Lowest-common-denominator footy show watching types like you are the reason Aker gets so much airtime.

You are so far from the mark it is not funny. I haven't watched The Footy Show in years. If I did, I would know that Cooney is apparently no longer a regular, wouldn't I? I do, however, remember when he was on the panel pretty regularly and they even had him in the opening credits to the show, eating some Burger Rings. Must hate the media. Perhaps he thought that hanging around with those buffoons every few weeks was ok when his career was flying, but probably not the best look, when he'd been derailed by injuries that threatened his career. Or maybe he's just really bashful. I don't know.

No, but to me, it seems that Aka's version of things fits in comfortably with how things played out. Just one player, from the entire squad could have simply refuted the comments that Akermanis made. I don't think that would have been too difficult, given that he was interviewed two years after he'd gone. I'm not sure that anyone has though.

Perhaps but has this been verified by anyone other than Aker? i thought LT put each individual out the front and asked 'hard questions' and made demands of them? Are you suggesting Aker was the only one subjected to this process? If that is the case then, yep, he can feel aggrieved.
They asked him to concentrate on his football from what I can see-not that unreasonable-again you just accept Aker's slant on things, when he has demonstrated that he is a manipulator of the truth.
The salary issues are a non issue for mine and have been explained several times by other posters. The explanation strikes me as being entirely reasonable on the part of the club.
I'm not suggesting Aka was the only one, but I think some of the demands were a bit over the top in comparison to the other players, especially when Aka puts in just as much effort for his team on the field and training track as anyone. I don't believe that Aka was sacked from Brisbane, just more of a parting of ways in what was a rough downfall for a team that still had talent but was getting to the end of the line. So from Aka's point of view, the media thing shouldn't really be that much of an issue, even though he was probably a bit more controversial while at the Bulldogs.

I really don't care if you take me seriously or not. I've actually been through the same sort of process myself and it's fair to say that some players cop a wet lettuce leaf, while others get absolutely hammered during these home truths sessions. As an outsider, a bit of a loose cannon and a guy who by his own admission in the Open Mike interview 'didn't give a s**t about the other players' when he was away from the club, I'll let you guess which treatment Akermanis is likely to have copped.

You are so far from the mark it is not funny. I haven't watched The Footy Show in years. If I did, I would know that Cooney is apparently no longer a regular, wouldn't I? I do, however, remember when he was on the panel pretty regularly and they even had him in the opening credits to the show, eating some Burger Rings. Must hate the media. Perhaps he thought that hanging around with those buffoons every few weeks was ok when his career was flying, but probably not the best look, when he'd been derailed by injuries that threatened his career. Or maybe he's just really bashful. I don't know.

No, but to me, it seems that Aka's version of things fits in comfortably with how things played out. Just one player, from the entire squad could have simply refuted the comments that Akermanis made. I don't think that would have been too difficult, given that he was interviewed two years after he'd gone. I'm not sure that anyone has though.
My understanding of LT (have you actually done it with them?) is that everyone is questioned in a 'deserving or valid manner" so don't really get the lettuce leaf/hammering thing. Anyway if Aker is dishing it out, he presumably has to be able to take it too.
The point is not whether I can take you seriously or not, the point is his track record re the truth is so ordinary that when you proclaim that is good enough for you, well hardly seems legit.
Who gives a stuff whether Cooney is this or that, the Doggies have all remained quiet on this and presume part of that is not wanting to give oxygen to Aker's rantings-a good move.

I'm not suggesting Aka was the only one, but I think some of the demands were a bit over the top in comparison to the other players, especially when Aka puts in just as much effort for his team on the field and training track as anyone. I don't believe that Aka was sacked from Brisbane, just more of a parting of ways in what was a rough downfall for a team that still had talent but was getting to the end of the line. So from Aka's point of view, the media thing shouldn't really be that much of an issue, even though he was probably a bit more controversial while at the Bulldogs.
Yep pretty well agree with this. Not sure about his departure from Brissy and do hope he has been welcomed back into the past players catch ups etc.

Akers antics were bearable when he was contributing on field. But in 2010 he kicked two goals from his nine games as a forward. This made his bullshit worse because he was no longer making up for it on field.

My understanding of LT (have you actually done it with them?) is that everyone is questioned in a 'deserving or valid manner" so don't really get the lettuce leaf/hammering thing.

If you are not popular, you are going to get smashed. Simple.

Anyway if Aker is dishing it out, he presumably has to be able to take it too.

Dishing what out?

The point is not whether I can take you seriously or not, the point is his track record re the truth is so ordinary that when you proclaim that is good enough for you, well hardly seems legit.

Have you watched the video yet? Presumably you hadn't before, otherwise Cooney's name would not have come as a surprise. Can you shed some light on his track record re: the truth?

Who gives a stuff whether Cooney is this or that, the Doggies have all remained quiet on this and presume part of that is not wanting to give oxygen to Aker's rantings-a good move.

If they choose to make that move, then people like me are well within our rights to accept that Akermanis (a guy I don't have a heap of time for, really) is somewhere near the mark. His responses seemed genuine enough to me. And sure, the Dogs players that were involved at the time, even those that might not have been at the club for 3-4 years or more, can choose to stay silent. But without any rebuttal, I'm inclined to believe Jason Akermanis on this one.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If you are not popular, you are going to get smashed. Simple.

Dishing what out?

Have you watched the video yet? Presumably you hadn't before, otherwise Cooney's name would not have come as a surprise. Can you shed some light on his track record re: the truth?

If they choose to make that move, then people like me are well within our rights to accept that Akermanis (a guy I don't have a heap of time for, really) is somewhere near the mark. His responses seemed genuine enough to me. And sure, the Dogs players that were involved at the time, even those that might not have been at the club for 3-4 years or more, can choose to stay silent. But without any rebuttal, I'm inclined to believe Jason Akermanis on this one.
Sorry, but I find it hard to believe that LT operated like that. At Geelong for example( never heard any whisperings of stuff like that happening)-not popular, get smashed. Find it hard to believe a professional organization that is trying to improve a club would allow such counterproductive methods to occur.
Can't be bothered listing well documented 'dishings out' by Aker over the journey. Google it yourself. ( drugs, Stynes, Gia not AFL standard...
Am sure his responses seemed genuine and they may be accurate but wouldn't take that as gospel. He is an intelligent person, and has always struck me as quite likeable, but he has a few issues for mine, and there may be a fine line between telling it like it is and the truth sometimes.

Sorry, but I find it hard to believe that LT operated like that. At Geelong for example( never heard any whisperings of stuff like that happening)-not popular, get smashed. Find it hard to believe a professional organization that is trying to improve a club would allow such counterproductive methods to occur.
Can't be bothered listing well documented 'dishings out' by Aker over the journey. Google it yourself. ( drugs, Stynes, Gia not AFL standard...
Am sure his responses seemed genuine and they may be accurate but wouldn't take that as gospel. He is an intelligent person, and has always struck me as quite likeable, but he has a few issues for mine, and there may be a fine line between telling it like it is and the truth sometimes.

Bolded is a complete and utter deflection. You were talking about him lying. Where's the evidence of him lying?

Bolded is a complete and utter deflection. You were talking about him lying. Where's the evidence of him lying?
Nope that is where I said he dished it out- and you asked for egs of him doing so and i gave you some egs of him doing so and you can look the rest up. Think he is being investigated for cyber bullying atm too. ( dishes it out) As you can also look up where he has manipulated the truth-eg the process that unfolded re gay article, leaks from the club. He has one version and others have a different version from what I can see. Fine, you can accept his version.
Considering you don't have ' a heap of time' for him, you sure are getting hot and bothered.

Last edited:
Perhaps but has this been verified by anyone other than Aker? i thought LT put each individual out the front and asked 'hard questions' and made demands of them? Are you suggesting Aker was the only one subjected to this process? If that is the case then, yep, he can feel aggrieved.
They asked him to concentrate on his football from what I can see-not that unreasonable-again you just accept Aker's slant on things, when he has demonstrated that he is a manipulator of the truth.
The salary issues are a non issue for mine and have been explained several times by other posters. The explanation strikes me as being entirely reasonable on the part of the club.

Imagine your co-workers coming to you and saying "take a 60% pay cut or your fired"
I dont care if it was everyone in the club, that kinda s**t is just not on.

If management say that, then fair enough...but to have a leadership group of PEERS (most of whom were worse players, and had had little to no success) telling a player what to do is just wrong.

The claim is it was said to his face....you dont need proof of that, its called an eye witness account. (assuming hes not making it up)

Imagine your co-workers coming to you and saying "take a 60% pay cut or your fired"

If management say that, then fair enough...but to have a leadership group of PEERS (most of whom were worse players, and had had little to no success) telling a player what to do is just wrong.

Yep...got it in a nutshell.

I hate the whole LT idea. If a players faults etc need pointing out it should be done by the coaches, not other players.

Put yourselves in this same scenario at your workplace, and see how you would feel.

Except haven't you just invented this whole scenario? Where do you get the idea that the other players decided he needed a pay cut? That sounds completely fictional to me.
Aker was going to retire. The club set itself and its salaries etc up for the next season. Then Aker came changed his mind and decided to play on, after everything had been put in place. And he happily agreed to a pay cut because he understood the situation and financial pressures re the cap, and he loved playing footy so would play for nothing. ( good on him) Several other players also took pay cuts to help the club out.

Except haven't you just invented this whole scenario? Where do you get the idea that the other players decided he needed a pay cut? That sounds completely fictional to me.
Aker was going to retire. The club set itself and its salaries etc up for the next season. Then Aker came changed his mind and decided to play on, after everything had been put in place. And he happily agreed to a pay cut because he understood the situation and financial pressures re the cap, and he loved playing footy so would play for nothing. ( good on him) Several other players also took pay cuts to help the club out.

Watch the video. Then you might be in a position to comment. For someone that has obviously not even bothered to watch the interview that this whole thread is about, you sure do have a lot to say about it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back