Game Day Footscray vs Box Hill. VFL Grand Final

Remove this Banner Ad

I think the VFL would be best served if it had 10 standalone AFL reserve teams with 6-8 of the VFL clubs. Whether or not the VFL clubs can be financially viable is the obvious players.

This Cyril thing would be much less of an issue if it was an official standalone as Hawthorn, the fact that BH is seen as an alignment makes it a big issue. Not that I care that much about it, just happy with the win!

I see the VFL style as what we want to become in the AFL, we've said all along its purely for development so were setting it up the way we want to set up at AFL level. Everybody talks about how poor our structures have been all year in the seniors, going in short at either end. Not a great balance between inside and outside players etc but Footscray is such a well structured side with a great plan so they obviously know how to set a team up. It sounds pretty stupid but I sort of feel like over the past couple of years we've had more of the bigger bodies in the AFL, and a few stop gaps and older guys just going at it and they've been learning to scrap their way through games and just learn how to play footy the tough way, and just really drilling in the contested side of things while letting guys develop at their own pace at Footscray with not as much pressure.

Next year is the time we need to start getting results on the board and obviously, after todays performance, some of these kids are ready. Wouldn't be surprised to see us come out next year and play from round 1 with plenty of talls at both ends and a good mix between inside and out side players across the field and play a brand of footy that is a lot more like our VFL footy.

I see the VFL style as what we want to become in the AFL, we've said all along its purely for development so were setting it up the way we want to set up at AFL level. Everybody talks about how poor our structures have been all year in the seniors, going in short at either end. Not a great balance between inside and outside players etc but Footscray is such a well structured side with a great plan so they obviously know how to set a team up. It sounds pretty stupid but I sort of feel like over the past couple of years we've had more of the bigger bodies in the AFL, and a few stop gaps and older guys just going at it and they've been learning to scrap their way through games and just learn how to play footy the tough way, and just really drilling in the contested side of things while letting guys develop at their own pace at Footscray with not as much pressure.

Next year is the time we need to start getting results on the board and obviously, after todays performance, some of these kids are ready. Wouldn't be surprised to see us come out next year and play from round 1 with plenty of talls at both ends and a good mix between inside and out side players across the field and play a brand of footy that is a lot more like our VFL footy.

Why.....that sounds like a long term view, full of strategy and game plan!

Check how many handballs Linsanity had. He knows he's not a good kick, so he bursts from the pack and has support runners with him who are good kicks.

It will be interesting on what JMac will do with the list management.

My best for today were Goodes, Jong and Campbell.

Seeing Jong take off out of packs put a great smile on my dial. Nothing better.
Young seriously had an absolute howler, didn't do his cause well at all.

Crowd was awesome, shame they never rocked up to the AFL games....

Tom Campbell had 6 more hit outs than Box Hill. Beast.

His tap work in the last quarter was amazing.

Even Cordy looked a bit better in the ruck. Both definitely are not forwards. Cheney was up to Cordys shoulders and he couldn't mark over him.

And whats up with the AFL site reporting Rioli is fit to play in the GF. He was dog s**t. Darley did a good job on him. No way he can play a full game in the GF. Surely has to be the sub.

Some lol and "really now, interesting" moments while watching the replay.

After Grant missed those shots in the first, German laughed and said something along the lines of, now you understand why he frustrates. Has every atribute but fails to finish it off.

After listening to the quarter time huddle, Darren Boyd (is it just me or is that guy a living caricature, all over animated and s**t) asked German about what was said. he was pretty blunt, "well thats Macca"

During the second quarter the old fella (whose name has just left me) boundry guy asks the commentry crew, the bulldogs tall fellas they are not holding on to the marks. Germans response. "Well if they were marking them they would be playing AFL" heheheh nice Peter, all subtle like.

Watching Jong burst out of packs with the ball again and again today made me so happy. I really think he's got a lot of upside. I think he's in for a breakout 2015.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Some lol and "really now, interesting" moments while watching the replay.

After Grant missed those shots in the first, German laughed and said something along the lines of, now you understand why he frustrates. Has every atribute but fails to finish it off.

After listening to the quarter time huddle, Darren Boyd (is it just me or is that guy a living caricature, all over animated and s**t) asked German about what was said. he was pretty blunt, "well thats Macca"

During the second quarter the old fella (whose name has just left me) boundry guy asks the commentry crew, the bulldogs tall fellas they are not holding on to the marks. Germans response. "Well if they were marking them they would be playing AFL" heheheh nice Peter, all subtle like.

Other things:

Box Hill coach, swore on live tv. (the F Word). I swear he also called Nick Lower "Ed".

Phil Cleary, saying the NFL and asking Ben Graham what it was called in the US.

My best were Campbell, Jong, Goodes, Jones and Fogarty.

JJ played well too, he was pretty heavily tagged at one stage.

What is the Fogarty story, he looks like a footballer.

Talia was the best of the backmen. He made some marvellous saves. Of the tall backmen it seems as though Young did the most work, had the most run and carry, was therefore allowed to make the most mistakes.

Austen is a hero, so is Young and Greenwood and all the others. They are legends.

Good to see Bontempelli, Roughead and others mingling in the crowd getting photos taken. Roughy had his arm in a sling.

What an amazing day! What an amazing crowd. We should be proud the way we supported our team! I can't remember the last time I saw so many people on the ground after a game. My god we owned the ground!

It was a very good game too. Very hard game and it required a fitter, uncompromised team to win it. As I had hoped it provided a great experience for our young players and they stood up to the test very well.

I thought we were gone when they waltzed in easily to kick the goal that gave them an 18 point lead. But then Dicko kicked a ripper and I felt the momentum shift. Jong and Greenwood were simply amazing all game, but especially at that stage. They won the centre clearances. Jones stepped up when good players should. Hard to find anyone who didn't contribute, even Howard kicked an very nice goal at the end. I loved the way Redpath went about it. He just imposed himself in the contest all game, just the little things. Grant could have won us the match earlier, he was in everything but could finish his work Still he tried all day and it's all he needs to do, the rest will come.

JJ, Tutty and Russell gave us the outside run Talia and Austin were rocks in defense. As a few have said already, it's goes to show what we could do next year if we structure up with genuine talls at either end. It's been a great year for the development of our talls at Footscray and they need to take that into the next level now. Jong continues to impress, he's so much better when he's allowed to get his own pill. Next year I hope they don't try to make him tag again.

A great day ended a great year for Footscray, I enjoyed going to the Whitten Oval so much. We have some good kids at Footscray who compliment the kids who played mostly AFL this year. Talls are still the main issue, but lot's of promise there it seems

Congratulations for yesterday. I watched on television and the atmosphere in the last quarter was fantasic.

A crowd of 23k is pretty solid too.

I didn't get to our game at Whitten Oval. If we're drawn to play there again next year, I plan on rectifying that.

Wow, what an experience that was yesterday. Very much only just woke up now, but I am still buzzing from being at the game yesterday and experiencing the atmosphere and seeing us win a Grand Final. It may not be the AFL Premiership, but it is still important in its own right and it was won in a separate competition by a bunch of great guys who worked their asses off for it.

Loved how it was general admission so that you could sit anywhere, so yesterday I sat myself amongst the Bulldogs Cheer squad for the first time ever. Had a feeling the crowd would be in the late teens, for it to push well towards almost 24,000 is a great result for both teams and the VFL in general. The crowd of mostly Bulldog, and neutral supporters were very vocal and loud all game. At times I couldn't even hear the people next to me. The cheer squad itself was something, and I swear I saw some Big Footy members in there as well, but I am not sure as I don't exactly know who is who, and what everyone looks like, just going by a couple or so photos I have seen pop up on here time to time :p

As for the game itself, I knew it would be a close one. It was a game of momentum shifts throughout, where one team will kick two or three goals, and then the other team will follow through with a similar patch themselves. At one stage I started to wonder if it was over once they got out to a three goal lead in the fourth quarter and we struggled to get anywhere. Then came that magic two minute patch, with Jong's burst from the centre bounce, and Redpath's bone crunching tackle. After that we had it all our way, and Box Hill simply ran out of legs.

Loved being able to go onto the round after the game. Really added a traditional grassroots feel to the game, with the AFL feeling like a control and commercialized brand. I hope the VFL never changes how it is run. Managed to see the great one Bontempelli himself in the crowd, as well as getting a photo of Jong. Even said hi to Murphy as he went to buy some food at half time. Good to see some blokes from the AFL team dropping by to watch their teammates play. Saw Talia after the game, geez he is a very photogenic lad, had all the ladies swarming him on the field. Looks very tanned for the end of winter though, like he lives on the beach and plays for Gold Coast instead of us haha.

Schoenmakers was terrible for Box Hill. But we had some terrible moments as well. I think turnovers in the first quarter ultimately stopped us from kicking 6 or 7 goals to quarter time. Christain Howard had a terrible first quarter, but quickly got better and more composed as the game went on. Russell had two horrible kick ins that he kicked way to short, and resulted in a fumbled mark as it was to low, and a direct turnover, both resulted in Box Hill goals.

Let's not start about Young, he had a stinker of a game. Got tackled and made no effort to fight, just laid there in the first quarter. Ended up being called for holding the ball. Don't get why player don't try and knock the ball out, better a 50/50 chance of your team mate getting it, than a 100% turnover through a free. Gave away a free kick in front of goal, and turned the ball over with a shocking kick from the middle directly to an opponent on the 50m arc. Add in a couple of other turnovers, and twice losing his man when defending cost another goal or two.

Best players were by far Jong, Goodes, Campbell and Jones. All of them stood up in key moments when we needed them to. I know many people knock on Jong, but it really goes to show how little they actually know about the game or don't pay attention outside the AFL team, given how far he has progressed in only 5-6 years of playing the game. He is an average kick, but so was Cross who had more experience than Jong did, where are the same critics on Cross? Jong is bigger, faster and more aggressive at tackling than Cross as well. Plenty of things to work with here. It's funny though, Jong seems a confident, yet shy guy outside of the games. Talia and Austin had good games in defence for us, made some crucial spoils when we needed them to. In fact, I thought a few players made crucial intercept marks in the defensive 50 in the fourth quarter when the game was on the line. I think those marks were more crucial to the win than those goals we scored late. I love Honeychurch, would literally turn gay for him with some of the things he does. Loves how he really attacks the contest and plays his heart out. Even loved how he taunts his opponent when they are trying to take a kickout after a behind, and tries to get in their head.

Overall it was a fantastic day for the club., and a great experience. Well done to all of the boys on a great season, am proud of them. Was a hard fought season and a win that was well earned. I think the club did well in recruiting the non AFL listed players to fill in the team. They all did their roll well all season and in the Grand Final. Some good players there, I hope the club retains them for next season.

Based on yesterday, can you imagine the atmosphere if we make the AFL Grand Final, yet alone win it?

I also saw the TAC Cup Final before hand, shame Wright didn't play. Was surprised at the margin at the end of the game. But well done to Oakleigh on their Premiership win. Some good players on both sides, hope their draft dreams come true this year or in the years ahead.

Bring on season 2015 :)

Last edited:
Jong continues to impress, he's so much better when he's allowed to get his own pill. Next year I hope they don't try to make him tag again.
I reckon tagging would have helped him a lot, the game didn't really come naturally to him in the past so playing on some of the best mids on the game would have been fantastic for him. People were complaining when we played him on Danger, looks like we were saying to him that's what your capable of playing like, just watch everything he does and try to emulate it.

I can honestly see him having a huge impact next year, we all know we need pace in the midfield and he brings that in spades but he's not just an outside runner, he's a bull on the contested side too which is perfect for our set up. And he runs both ways too. Set him up on the defensive side of the square behind the ball and just tell him to be running forward at all times (but be quick to get back the other way).

Last edited:
My best for today were Goodes, Jong and Campbell.

Seeing Jong take off out of packs put a great smile on my dial. Nothing better.
Young seriously had an absolute howler, didn't do his cause well at all.

Crowd was awesome, shame they never rocked up to the AFL games....

It just goes to show that people will turn up to a 2pm game rather than a 4.40pm game. So hopefully next season we get better game times

Wow, what an experience that was yesterday. Very much only just woke up now, but I am still buzzing from being at the game yesterday and experiencing the atmosphere and seeing us win a Grand Final. It may not be the AFL Premiership, but it is still important in its own right and it was won in a separate competition by a bunch of great guys who worked their asses off for it.

Loved how it was general admission so that you could sit anywhere, so yesterday I sat myself amongst the Bulldogs Cheer squad for the first time ever. Had a feeling the crowd would be in the late teens, for it to push well towards almost 24,000 is a great result for both teams and the VFL in general. The crowd of mostly Bulldog, and neutral supporters were very vocal and loud all game. At times I couldn't even hear the people next to me. The cheer squad itself was something, and I swear I saw some Big Footy members in there as well, but I am not sure as I don't exactly know who is who, and what everyone looks like, just going by a couple or so photos I have seen pop up on here time to time :p

As for the game itself, I knew it would be a close one. It was a game of momentum shifts throughout, where one team will kick two or three goals, and then the other team will follow through with a similar patch themselves. At one stage I started to wonder if it was over once they got out to a three goal lead in the fourth quarter and we struggled to get anywhere. Then came that magic two minute patch, with Jong's burst from the centre bounce, and Redpath's bone crunching tackle. After that we had it all our way, and Box Hill simply ran out of legs.

Loved being able to go onto the round after the game. Really added a traditional grassroots feel to the game, with the AFL feeling like a control and commercialized brand. I hope the VFL never changes how it is run. Managed to see the great one Bontempelli himself in the crowd, as well as getting a photo of Jong. Even said hi to Murphy as he went to buy some food at half time. Good to see some blokes from the AFL team dropping by to watch their teammates play. Saw Talia after the game, geez he is a very photogenic lad, had all the ladies swarming him on the field. Looks very tanned for the end of winter though, like he lives on the beach and plays for Gold Coast instead of us haha.

Schoenmakers was terrible for Box Hill. But we had some terrible moments as well. I think turnovers in the first quarter ultimately stopped us from kicking 6 or 7 goals to quarter time. Christain Howard had a terrible first quarter, but quickly got better and more composed as the game went on. Russell had two horrible kick ins that he kicked way to short, and resulted in a fumbled mark as it was to low, and a direct turnover, both resulted in Box Hill goals.

Let's not start about Young, he had a stinker of a game. Got tackled and made no effort to fight, just laid there in the first quarter. Ended up being called for holding the ball. Don't get why player don't try and knock the ball out, better a 50/50 chance of your team mate getting it, than a 100% turnover through a free. Gave away a free kick in front of goal, and turned the ball over with a shocking kick from the middle directly to an opponent on the 50m arc. Add in a couple of other turnovers, and twice losing his man when defending cost another goal or two.

Best players were by far Jong, Goodes, Campbell and Jones. All of them stood up in key moments when we needed them to. I know many people knock on Jong, but it really goes to show how little they actually know about the game or don't pay attention outside the AFL team, given how far he has progressed in only 5-6 years of playing the game. He is an average kick, but so was Cross who had more experience than Jong did, where are the same critics on Cross? Jong is bigger, faster and more aggressive at tackling than Cross as well. Plenty of things to work with here. It's funny though, Jong seems a confident, yet shy guy outside of the games. Talia and Austin had good games in defence for us, made some crucial spoils when we needed them to. In fact, I thought a few players made crucial intercept marks in the defensive 50 in the fourth quarter when the game was on the line. I think those marks were more crucial to the win than those goals we scored late. I love Honeychurch, would literally turn gay for him with some of the things he does. Loves how he really attacks the contest and plays his heart out. Even loved how he taunts his opponent when they are trying to take a kickout after a behind, and tries to get in their head.

Overall it was a fantastic day for the club., and a great experience. Well done to all of the boys on a great season, am proud of them. Was a hard fought season and a win that was well earned. I think the club did well in recruiting the non AFL listed players to fill in the team. They all did their roll well all season and in the Grand Final. Some good players there, I hope the club retains them for next season.

Based on yesterday, can you imagine the atmosphere if we make the AFL Grand Final, yet alone win it?

I also saw the TAC Cup Final before hand, shame Wright didn't play. Was surprised at the margin at the end of the game. But well done to Oakleigh on their Premiership win. Some good players on both sides, hope their draft dreams come true this year or in the years ahead.

Bring on season 2015 :)
You may have seen my ugly.mug in the 4th
i was standing on my chair chanting

What a great day and atmosphere.
At the end when we had it won, and Jong lining up , I found myself feeling a little smug ( shame he missed :()
But for all those that were a part of the Jong bandwagon with me during the year , bet you were also feeling the same.
What a season , but how good has he been in all finals ?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back