List Mgmt. Trade & Free Agency Discussion 2014 [Current Picks: 12, 33, 52]

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Start of the year Hawthorns list was ranked 5th oldest our was ranked 8th. Since then we've seen Stephenson Jackson King A.Edwards who are all in the 28-32 age bracket have moved on. Fair to say that we're going to be younger again next year, while the Hawks will continue to age given only Sewell of their over 28 brigade is likely to retire.

On a side note. I was very surprised to hear a report that Hawks had 7 debuts this season. I'm not sure how many of those played in the GF though....

North have stuffed up by offering Higgans and Waite contracts whilst waiting on Greenwood. Now Richmond can slide in and take him for about 50-80k more then what North will offer. Id give a second round pick for him and hold onto our first. Then wait for next year for Shiel or another gun ifnwe can afford them after offering Dusty a new contract.

this free agency thing is going to really hurt us.

Basically as it stands now the strong clubs are only going to get stronger and the weak clubs are only going to get weaker.

So for us middle of the road teams thats exactly where we will stay as players just simply won't nominate us. The only chance we have is by picking off the players who end up getting pushed aside from those top sides who keep gaining free agency players.

Our only other option is the trade path. but as we all know, to get a quality player in we are going to have to pay way overs, but once again we are faced with those quality players only really nominating the top 5 clubs as their club of choice.

there is no real way around it is there? we either bite the bullet and have a red hot crack or we are just going to hover exactly where we are and bank on natural improvement which realistically wont allow us to pass a lot of those teams above us.

I wouldnt be too upset if we offered our first for Greenwood and Mullet or Black, if the squeeze is on at North, pretty weak midfield draft so wouldnt mind getting a few blokes in, Aaron Black might be squeezed from the Waite inclusion and Obviously with all their HBF Mullet may be getable, Greenwood might be a bit harder though

Liam Jone requests trade to Carltoon

Hahahahaha

Just seems like the Blues are having a shot at anyone/everyone available....Being seen to be active, important for marketing purposes ??

I know you like to stir the pot a bit, so i'm not going to bother arguing.
Most knowledgable Richmond supporters would agree that a player like Greenwood is exactly what we need.
He would push Grigg out of the side and allow Cotchin to get more of the ball on the outside.
Plus, we don't have a genuine tagger in our best 22, which allows the oppositions best players to run riot all the time against us.
And if we can manage to get him with our 2nd rnd pick and keep our 1st.
Into our best 22
2015>>Greenwood,Lennon,(T.Hunt).
2016>>Shiels,Pick 11(2014)

And if we can manage to get him with our 2nd rnd pick and keep our 1st.
Into our best 22
2015>>Greenwood,Lennon,(T.Hunt).
2016>>Shiels,Pick 11(2014)

Would prefer Greenwood over T. Hunt, however wouldn't be opposed to getting Hunt if we are no chance for Greenwood.
Is only 23, has elite endurance and has proven that he can tag very well in the past.
The fact that Grigg is currently our number 1 tagger means that we will not move up the ladder, fact.
Can't let our 9 game winning streak fool us, there are definitely holes on our list which need to be fixed asap.

Greeenwwooodd is 181 cm!

Sorry we have Ellis and Miles. Younger and better! We got Greenwoods number covered.

We are chasing stronger types more powerful in the contest with better skills, reach and breakaway speed!
Yep we need class not arse
People on here thought Greenwood was an average campaigner five weeks ago. Now that they've seen a pic of him with Dusty he's suddenly an overnight superstar
How the hell is this guy going to solve our lack of speed issue , class as he averages nearly 4 clangers a game and deftness by foot and hands??
Guys lets not fill the fridge with Tooheys red and stock up with a Crown lager or some expensive imported beer. Levi Deadwoods are a dime a dozen in the cattle industry
Class only please

(Log in to remove this ad.)

this free agency thing is going to really hurt us.

Basically as it stands now the strong clubs are only going to get stronger and the weak clubs are only going to get weaker.

So for us middle of the road teams thats exactly where we will stay as players just simply won't nominate us. The only chance we have is by picking off the players who end up getting pushed aside from those top sides who keep gaining free agency players.

Our only other option is the trade path. but as we all know, to get a quality player in we are going to have to pay way overs, but once again we are faced with those quality players only really nominating the top 5 clubs as their club of choice.

there is no real way around it is there? we either bite the bullet and have a red hot crack or we are just going to hover exactly where we are and bank on natural improvement which realistically wont allow us to pass a lot of those teams above us.
I have mentioned this before and really think this year is the year we take the kids and next year is the year we go full on for the FA players .

Jono O'Rourke & Jaksch for #12 .......... They will have 2 years already in the system 1 KPP & 1 Outside Mid with pace
Get Rid of/trade Grigg,Newman,Hampson,Knights,Foley,Chaplin in the next 12 months (Jacksch,Astbury,Elton,Grimes) enough depth to cover chaplin

Go Full on for Dangerfield,Jones Next year

Midfield/sm fwd of Cotchin,Dangerfield,Delidio,Jones,Martin,Miles,Ellis,Vlastuin,Edwards,Lennon,Conca,O'rourke
Ready for flag

Have watched a fair bit of Greenwood this year and in my opinion, you can never have enough players in the side who can win their own footy.
As good as Ellis is, his contested game is not that fantastic, putting lots of pressure on Miles and Cotchin.
With Deledio being played predominantly on a HFF next year, that extra ball winner in midfield will do wonders for our side.
We've had Tuck and Jackson both retire in the last 2 years.
Foley is nearing the end of his career and his best is well and truly past him.
An inside midfielder for us is an absolute must if we are to take that next step up the ladder.
Great Post.

I just caught the end of N.Brown on Trade radio earlier talking to a caller and think I heard "its unfortunate bc Greenwood is the exact type richmond need"

Has he re-signed??

He's either re-signed, or they don't have enough money to keep him and it's unfortunate for North because it means he will be coming our way.

I have mentioned this before and really think this year is the year we take the kids and next year is the year we go full on for the FA players .

Jono O'Rourke & Jaksch for #12 .......... They will have 2 years already in the system 1 KPP & 1 Outside Mid with pace
Get Rid of/trade Grigg,Newman,Hampson,Knights,Foley,Chaplin in the next 12 months (Jacksch,Astbury,Elton,Grimes) enough depth to cover chaplin

Midfield/sm fwd of Cotchin,Dangerfield,Delidio,Jones,Martin,Miles,Ellis,Vlastuin,Edwards,Lennon,Conca,O'rourke
Ready for flag

I 100% agree with you in theory, the only problem is Jono O'Rourke & Jaksch haven't named us as a club of choice (to the best of our knowledge). Isn't O'Rourke said to be deciding between Hawks or Kangas at the moment?

and this is quickly becoming the issue. regardless of if we are targeting young kids in trades or establised players, neither are nominating us as a preferred club giving us little to no chance of getting any quality as clubs simply won't deal with us if their player hasnt picked us as a destination. All of the top 5 clubs seem to be the chosen destinations for all of the quality players (both young and old)

Would prefer Greenwood over T. Hunt, however wouldn't be opposed to getting Hunt if we are no chance for Greenwood.
Is only 23, has elite endurance and has proven that he can tag very well in the past.
The fact that Grigg is currently our number 1 tagger means that we will not move up the ladder, fact.
Can't let our 9 game winning streak fool us, there are definitely holes on our list which need to be fixed asap.
Was thinking of getting Hunt on the cheap as well,Like what Morris brings in desperation etc but he needs to be replaced and i see Hunt being the one.

He is very good inside midfielder
How the hell is this guy going to solve our lack of speed issue
Who said he was? You realise we need qualities other than speed?
he averages nearly 4 clangers a game and deftness by foot and hands??
Ablett averaged 4.2 clangers this year, 2nd in the league.
Levi Deadwoods are a dime a dozen in the cattle industry
He will probably win or come close to winning North's B&F in a year they finished 4th. Hardly dime a dozen.

He's either re-signed, or they don't have enough money to keep him and it's unfortunate for North because it means he will be coming our way.

I would be surprised if North didn't have that covered. I don't reckon they will let Greenwood go especially as he has had a break out year.

Ready for flag
We won't get O'Rourke and Jaksch for pick 12, especially when Saints can do the same offer, but with pick 1 as the bait. What I would look at is doing Greenwood for a swap of our first & second picks with North. That way we bring in experience to help our depth and we also maintain the ability to hit the draft. Doubt it will go down that way through. Then as we dicussed yesterday, go for free agents/GWS kids next year.

I 100% agree with you in theory, the only problem is Jono O'Rourke & Jaksch haven't named us as a club of choice (to the best of our knowledge). Isn't O'Rourke said to be deciding between Hawks or Kangas at the moment?

and this is quickly becoming the issue. regardless of if we are targeting young kids in trades or establised players, neither are nominating us as a preferred club giving us little to no chance of getting any quality as clubs simply won't deal with us if their player hasnt picked us as a destination. All of the top 5 clubs seem to be the chosen destinations for all of the quality players (both young and old)
Thats because we probably have never enquired about them to their managers , from memmory JO is a Tiger supporter and would have no problem coming to us to play with his idols
and Jacksch hasnt named a club just wants to get to a melbourne club

People on here thought Greenwood was an average campaigner five weeks ago. Now that they've seen a pic of him with Dusty he's suddenly an overnight superstar
How the hell is this guy going to solve our lack of speed issue , class as he averages nearly 4 clangers a game and deftness by foot and hands??
Guys lets not fill the fridge with Tooheys red and stock up with a Crown lager or some expensive imported beer. Levi Deadwoods are a dime a dozen in the cattle industry
Class only please

Who mentioned anything about a picture with Dusty?
That means nothing.
The facts will tell you that his stats per game are nearly as good as our captain, Trent Cotchin.
Will potentially finish top 5 in North's best and fairest, a team who made a preliminary final.
I think you'll be amazed as to how good a player Cotchin will be with a bit of extra help in the midfield.
Just have a look at 2012, when we had a fully fit Jackson and Tuck supporting Cotch in the midfield.
Greenwood might not be the pure silk type like a Deledio, but he is certainly a player who will fill a glaring need in our side.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back