Mega Thread Dayne Beams trade (Its over, thread closed)

What do you support the club to do? (Opposition respondents will be carded)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
At risk of stating the obvious...people around here are a bit upset about losing Beams. Many of us still vividly recall 2002 and 2003 and the thought of losing him to your club hurts a bit. Forgive us for getting a little emotional but this is OUR BOARD!
I'm one of very few who is happy to see him go. hmmm beeeer with John O Brown :)

Pies don't want Pick 4 and a youngster with potential, they want a Beams replacement, and until we here that Dangerfield is off the table it's only Dangerfield that will satisfy this deal. People forget we hold the bargaining here, Beams will play for us next year if forced, and he and Connors knows it.
Paul Connors, just saying, most of his players seem to be on the move. Might make a thread about him.

Paul Connors, just saying, most of his players seem to be on the move. Might make a thread about him.

I had to watch his interview twice yesterday because I couldn't stop hyperfocusing on his bottom teeth the first time. Trainwreck.

I've been in there for a laugh or two and take it for what it is......a massive pisstake.
The bay is great. There are however certain names that pop up on other boards ( where trolling is frowned upon ) which i'm certain are not there to add insight to the discussion.
Anyway, i noticed TheBrownDog changed his avatar which helps dial back the uncertainty

Yes, Hawthorn seem to have their best players as leaders. Goes a long way when the leaders give a shit and are disciplined. Can't recall any smashing cars, getting thrown in the slammer, at shoot outs, punch ons, barking at Clarkson etc. Boys will be boys and men will be men.
They've had smashed cars like everyone else. Franklin? Injunctions?
Mitchel captain of Hodge due to (remember Derm's comment) and then Hodge replaces Mitchel. Gibson has had his issues. Lake also. brown in his time there - and he left them because he got his noise out of joint in the Burgoyne trade negotiations.

Hawthorn are simply a better run club than us - and for that matter most if not all others.

They've had smashed cars like everyone else. Franklin? Injunctions?
Mitchel captain of Hodge due to (remember Derm's comment) and then Hodge replaces Mitchel. Gibson has had his issues. Lake also. brown in his time there - and he left them because he got his noise out of joint in the Burgoyne trade negotiations.

Hawthorn are simply a better run club than us - and for that matter most if not all others.

Very vague, what have the off-field issues been while at Hawthorn? I didn't see Mitchell being dislodged because he didn't give a shit - both he and Hodge give a shit. As does Roughead. As does Lewis. Leaders all of them. Franklin was allowed to drift away.

74 per cent of the AFL website poll think pick 4 is enough for Beams. :drunk::drunk::drunk:. So only 26% of people are actually right.

Is that serious? Do you mean that Collingwood only holds 26% of the AFL now? My god...how did the other 17 clubs get a hold of so much? Ed needs to address this forthwith. We need to get back to our natural standing....about 89% is about right I believe.;)

Proposition? I was asking you a specific question. Going for a flag or two sounds great, perhaps you could provide some specific examples of what we could have done differently?
Been done to death really but lets start with a reassesment of the succession plan (good idea at the time) when we were dominating 2011. Then the list strategy and the leading teams trategy. These are the all important big picture things before you get to individual player decisions and frankly there are a hundred times more important. On a more micro level, most of the retirements were a year or two early. The idea of a trade for a pick to be replaced by a hack or a has been as a one off doesn't hurt a lot a few add up. All of a sufddeen a few want out and a rebuild is the only option. That's where we are now only without the promised super culture.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Very vague, what have the off-field issues been while at Hawthorn? I didn't see Mitchell being dislodged because he didn't give a shit - both he and Hodge give a shit. As does Roughead. As does Lewis. Leaders all of them. Franklin was allowed to drift away.

The key difference for mine is from their core group of 10-12 players none have left either club save for Ablett and Franklin. They also have far more natural leaders than we do so we weren't able to sustain our peak for as long.

The same would also apply for Sydney. All 3 clubs have high end footballers that set the standard for the rest to follow. It's unfortunately not there to the same level at Collingwood.

The key difference for mine is from their core group of 10-12 players none have left either club save for Ablett and Franklin. They also have far more natural leaders than we do so we weren't able to sustain our peak for as long.

The same would also apply for Sydney. All 3 clubs have high end footballers that set the standard for the rest to follow. It's unfortunately not there to the same level at Collingwood.

Exactly. That some of our best players seemed more interested in being cool than inspiring their young team-mates and bringing them with them I think is an awful legacy Buckley has had to deal with.

Look it's a bit difficult in some cases to be specific.
Franklin has smashed his car more than once. He's also been in fights. He also missed a long time with a mystery hamstring. Brereton covered the Hodge issue and why he wasn't catain at the time. I'm not going to link the injunctions but Dermot did. That's the captain of their club now and dual Norm Smith medalist. Hawks made a football decision and good on them. Players caring isn't about the players so much as it is about the club and the envioronment - that's the whole problem we have let develop IMO. Sure as hell we didn't win a flag without a committed group of players.

Exactly. That some of our best players seemed more interested in being cool than inspiring their young team-mates and bringing them with them I think is an awful legacy Buckley has had to deal with.

Exactly which is why I'm somewhat comfortable with the change process.

The concern I have is that the turnover is feeling more and more excessive and that core group of 8-10 (or whatever it is) is now quite light on for talent when it includes the likes of Blair, Goldsack, Caff & Toovey. Without a doubt they are all solid foot soldiers, but not the types that you build a club around.

For anyone that's interested try to get your hands on the Kinnear Beatson interview from crunch time. It provided fantastic insight into how to build a list around star quality and why am we're behind the 8 ball now. Langdon, Scharanberg and Marsh at the last draft were all fantastic gets though because they fit that talented, driven and leaders mould.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back