List Mgmt. Trade & Free Agency Discussion 2014 [Current Picks: 12, 33, 52]

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just finished reading that article and the paragraph at the bottom about our trade value being Vickery Astbury Griffiths & McBean shits me, firstly because they signed this year and secondly both Ralph and Warner are Tigers men so they should have known this.

Contracted players have a higher value and more bargaining power for the club on the trade market

I'm glad to hear that we are going to the draft. Have learned lessons from last years trade/ fa period. Not everyone can be morphed into good footballers.

We are a long way off anything. Need to go hard agh the draft and add depth/ role players through FA. 2-3 years I think from top 4

2v0g6q0.jpg
if he only he was 2-3years younger
Interesting, very interesting

I'm glad to hear that we are going to the draft. Have learned lessons from last years trade/ fa period. Not everyone can be morphed into good footballers.

We are a long way off anything. Need to go hard agh the draft and add depth/ role players through FA. 2-3 years I think from top 4
Yep we've learnt the hard way, growing our own young players is the way to go from now on instead of recruiting recycled hacks to attempt to fill holes. Will certainly benefit us long term IMO. Will also need to go hard at FA next year and land a proven player or two. None of this Tutt s**t who will get us no where, let him rot at Carlton.

As a free agent he'd be free wouldn't he. Worth taking just to piss the bombers off.
He could kick 30 goals and be the crumbing forward we need.
2 years left in him I think.
How long are the bans going to be for??? Pass IMO

I'm no draft expert, but I find it strange that we are focusing on the draft when the talent pool is supposedly quite thin.
Last years draft was a strong one, yet we decide to trade our second rounder.
The club can focus on the draft as much as they like, but I think it's about time we started nailing our second and third round picks.

I'm no draft expert, but I find it strange that we are focusing on the draft when the talent pool is supposedly quite thin.
The club can focus on the draft as much as they like, but I think it's about time we started nailing our second and third round picks.
I think we hear the same s**t every year. Last year it was a weak draft, this year was the strong one. Nek Minnit this year is weak and last year was strong.
Ffs

Last years draft was terrible outside the first 25 picks. This years draft runs much deeper with many prospects who if developed right can be AFL level footballers. The only problem with this years draft is the lack of potentially elite players.

We didn't rate last year's draft - large part of the reason why we were happy to trade our second pick for Hampson.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I thought he was staying at Essendon. .... The club is imploding. .....It's beautiful to watch.
He retired because his body wasn't up to another pre-season. Then he un-retires because of his form. Now he wants to play on elsewhere? I'd be very cautious. Not for us, I'd imagine.

Last years draft was terrible outside the first 25 picks. This years draft runs much deeper with many prospects who if developed right can be AFL level footballers. The only problem with this years draft is the lack of potentially elite players.

Fair enough.
As I said, I'm no expert in regards to the draft.
A few people I've spoken too who know a few things, just told me that it isn't very deep this year.
Lot's of clubs around our position getting a lot stronger through trading and free agency this year, e.g. Port and North.
Plus, Fremantle, Hawthorn and Geelong will attack trading and free agency hard this year.
Just seems like we are getting further and further away after already going backwards this year :(

That's not what has been stated, pretty deep pool this year, we ve proven we can pull some gems with the success of miles and Gordon, we are better backing our judgement than locking up a spot with jones or tutt

Fair enough.
As I said, I'm no expert in regards to the draft.
A few people I've spoken too who know a few things, just told me that it isn't very deep this year.
Lot's of clubs around our position getting a lot stronger through trading and free agency this year, e.g. Port and North.
Plus, Fremantle, Hawthorn and Geelong will attack trading and free agency hard this year.
Just seems like we are getting further and further away after already going backwards this year :(

I reckon the top 40 is much better then last years. Its much stronger for talls which has displaced the better mids.

I just don't understand the idea of going to the draft to make improvements to well, improve.

All the talk from emotion after the disgusting display in the final, was like I suspected, all talk.

Don't believe a word of a warchest. Don't believe the hurt. Don't believe anything from the football club.

Brendan Gale. Talk is cheap. Invest our money. Being happy that we are the 9th or 10th most football department spending club is a joke from a club that has had years of record profits, millions of donations, no debt and third highest membership.

Invest. Or shut the * up.

Going to the draft is by far the best option for the club. Any trade this off-season is unlikely to be in the clubs favor because our real estate is down at the moment. Ideally our only trade would be a player out for a 2nd/3rd round pick. This would allow us to take 5 kids in the draft which is ideal for our future. We could then use the rookie list to acquire a couple of experience (recycled) players who are worth a second chance, a back-up ruck, and a couple more young kids.

Our list is very well placed to be successful for the next 6-8 years (minimum) if we continue to recruit via the draft and avoid throwing away draft picks. Unlike most clubs we have quality KKP's and mainly require additional run through the middle of the ground. This is a much stronger position to be in because midfielders are easier (quicker) to develop and more abundant to trade for.

If we keep our cards in our pocket this season and manage to unearth 3-4 players during next season that can help our cause, 2015 may be the off-season to attack. The best thing that could happen next year is; Vickery and Griffiths play well alongside Jack, and McBean (and Elton) apply considerable pressure from the VFL. By the off-season we have 2-3 forwards capable of drawing considerable value in a trade and therefore use this to our advantage to top up with a player or two that will help us towards our next flag. Alternatively, we go so well next season that we don't need to top up and therefore trade said player for a pick or two and use this to further our long term success.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back