Delisted #40: Ben Howlett - Not offered a contract for 2018 - 24/10

Remove this Banner Ad

Find it a bit bewildering all the people saying they'd like Garlett. He's ******* useless.

He had a shocker this year for whatever reason but go and look at his previous years, 43, 29, 48 and 39 goals. At his best he is a very good small forward with lightning pace who kicks goals, exactly what we need.

I garlett doesn't have a defensive bone in his body.. and is soft.. but he can kick goals in that small forward role.. and we need exactly that...

Again.. I'm not suggesting you give up anything more than a fourth round pick for him.. but I think there is upside there..

He does average over 3 tackles a match so not sure you can say he doesn't have a defensive bone in his body, people are just not rating him because he comes from Carlton.

I for one have no feelings about this trade whatsoever. Sure Ben is a hard worker, but there are plenty more hard workers out there waiting for their chance at AFL. He won't help us lift a Premiership so if people are offering him overs then I say take it. Thanks for the hard work Ben.

I for one have no feelings about this trade whatsoever. Sure Ben is a hard worker, but there are plenty more hard workers out there waiting for their chance at AFL. He won't help us lift a Premiership so if people are offering him overs then I say take it. Thanks for the hard work Ben.

Aylet

i still remember the first time i ever saw him play.

i was out watching a pre season practice match at princess park and i kept seeing this guy get the ball - he touched it over 15 times in the final quarter. Who is this non descript guy!? Rookie listed Ben Howlett.

He worked hard and got promoted, was a tackling boss and had really good disposal. As his career went on i thought he could have blossomed into anything! but then something happened, maybe we recruited around him and he got stuck as a one paced mid? Is he destined to be that Brad Sewell type only? We already have one or two of those. Quick enough as a defensive mid? Probably not these days.

The writing is probably on the wall for him anyway, he would continue to be a valuble squad member no doubt but he would always be looking over his shoulder at the next person after his spot. Id be happy enough to keep him but if we can get overs i'd take and run.

You're right. But at Essendon we have many comparable players.

Yep spot on, we have too many of the middle range players who just do enough to make you think they might be turning the corner but in reality they don't go on with it, which obviously reflects are ladder positions over the last 4 or 5 years.

i still remember the first time i ever saw him play.

i was out watching a pre season practice match at princess park and i kept seeing this guy get the ball - he touched it over 15 times in the final quarter. Who is this non descript guy!? Rookie listed Ben Howlett.

Same! I was there too doing exactly the same as you!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep spot on, we have too many of the middle range players who just do enough to make you think they might be turning the corner but in reality they don't go on with it, which obviously reflects are ladder positions over the last 4 or 5 years.
Our best mids - Watson, Heppell, Goddard - are slow. Ideally you'd want some of your lesser types to have some pace and X factor. But Howlett, Hocking, Myers etc are all slow too. Myers survives because he can kick and is a left footer. IMO we can't carry Howlett and Hocking in the same game. This doesn't mean Howlett is not any good, just he doesn't fit in well with team dynamics. Gleeson could well be a better mid/HB/HF as he has some pace and polish.

Our best mids - Watson, Heppell, Goddard - are slow. Ideally you'd want some of your lesser types to have some pace and X factor. But Howlett, Hocking, Myers etc are all slow too. Myers survives because he can kick and is a left footer. IMO we can't carry Howlett and Hocking in the same game. This doesn't mean Howlett is not any good, just he doesn't fit in well with team dynamics. Gleeson could well be a better mid/HB/HF as he has some pace and polish.
Agree.. if One of Watson, Heppell or Goddard have pace.. then maybe you can cover.. same if the 'next level' of mids like Myers, Stanton and Hocking one of them had pace..

But we already have 5-6 midfielders on the 'slower' side.. which makes Howlett a tough fit for OUR side.. having said that.. it is insulting to suggest he is 'worth' a Garlett..

Howlett is a consistent hard worker, top tackler and can play a key forward role at times (bags of 4+).. I'm not opposed to him staying.. but IF we can get a good trade then I think it is worth it.. purely because of team balance.. not against Howlett.

Correct and that's half our problem. IMO Ben is holding a younger player back.

You could also make the arguement that no young player has pushed him out of the side either.

Until one of them does he is part of the team. Look at colyer had to earn his spot and pretty much took melkshams spot. Thats what one of these young guys needs to do.

I hope Benny sticks around.

You could also make the arguement that no young player has pushed him out of the side either.

Until one of them does he is part of the team. Look at colyer had to earn his spot and pretty much took melkshams spot. Thats what one of these young guys needs to do.

I hope Benny sticks around.

Yes you could argue that. From my point of view I think he's been given ample time to develop into a role that truly he could of by now made his and his alone. I personally don't believe he's done that and to be honest been given too much time at it. Needs to step aside or move on.

Gees a few of you have short memories with Garlett

2010: 40.21
2011: 48.32
2012: 29.37
2013: 43.29
2014: 12.7

Has one sh*t year on & off and all of a sudden he's not worth a dime. Would fit nicely into a side that is pushing top 4-6, rather than one that will be bottom 4-6 the next 3-4 years.

Glass half full for mine.

He had a shocker this year for whatever reason but go and look at his previous years, 43, 29, 48 and 39 goals. At his best he is a very good small forward with lightning pace who kicks goals, exactly what we need.
Yeah I was having a look at that since I found 159 in 4 season to be quite a lot more than I would have thought.

He's kicked 183 goals in 6 seasons. 121 of the goals have been against the following teams; Brisbane, WC, Essendon, Richmond, St Kilda, Port, and Melbourne.

I'd suggest there's an argument to be made that he only plays well against average teams.. maybe. I'm not saying I wouldn't have him for nothing but I would definitely keep Howlett if it was a choice between the two. Has more strings to his bow.

Yeah I was having a look at that since I found 159 in 4 season to be quite a lot more than I would have thought.

He's kicked 183 goals in 6 seasons. 121 of the goals have been against the following teams; Brisbane, WC, Essendon, Richmond, St Kilda, Port, and Melbourne.

I'd suggest there's an argument to be made that he only plays well against average teams.. maybe. I'm not saying I wouldn't have him for nothing but I would definitely keep Howlett if it was a choice between the two. Has more strings to his bow.

Essendon, West Coast, Richmond, St kilda and Port have also made the finals multiple times over those 6 years and he has also played 57 of his 107 games against those 7 teams so is bound to have kicked more against them, poor argument.

On the other hand, as has been pointed out a few times, we have players of Howlett's ilk developing in the VFL. We don't have any small forwards coming through that appear to be able to get into our best 22. I like Howlett, his work ethic and tackling is fantastic, but our list requires a great deal of improvement and he's one of those fringe players we should be looking at moving on if we see an opportunity to pick up a type of player we don't have.

I bet i regret this post when we keep him and he takes another step up and kicks a couple of goals on a weekly basis.

On the other hand, as has been pointed out a few times, we have players of Howlett's ilk developing in the VFL. We don't have any small forwards coming through that appear to be able to get into our best 22. I like Howlett, his work ethic and tackling is fantastic, but our list requires a great deal of improvement and he's one of those fringe players we should be looking at moving on if we see an opportunity to pick up a type of player we don't have.

I bet i regret this post when we keep him and he takes another step up and kicks a couple of goals on a weekly basis.
We'll have to wait and see I guess. Would hate to see him step up at another club. Probably just as much as Carlton supporters would hate to see Garlett step up at ours. :D

Remove this Banner Ad

Back