List Mgmt. Mature Age Rookie Selections

Remove this Banner Ad

Presty For Prez

Debutant
May 24, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Current trends suggest our 2 live rookie selections will be used on at least 1 mature ager in the Dwyer,Martin,Barlow mould. Who are some of the names who have been dominating the lesser leagues?

Being in WA, if we were looking for a back up ruck, ex Melbourne player Paul Johnson seems to clean up every week for East Perth. Any other names I should keep an eye on?

Being in WA, if we were looking for a back up ruck, ex Melbourne player Paul Johnson seems to clean up every week for East Perth. Any other names I should keep an eye on?

Johnson is already 30 though, and has already spent 9 years on AFL lists with three clubs, and never really proved in that time that he's any better than a very good VFL/WAFL player.

In terms of backup ruckmen, I'd rather look at Sam Baulderstone from Norwood. Arguably the best ruckman in the SANFL this year (along with Keegan Brooksby from South Adelaide). 24 years old, 200cm, 113kg. His story is very Shane Mumford-esque, losing 40kg over the past couple of years and coming from a country club to now be a two-time SANFL premiership player and state team representative.

I was thinking of a similar thread so glad to see we have got one going. Was thinking we could do worse then look at Matthew Panos, seems like he has got height and has excelled in the midfield role he has played this year.

Also Lewis Johnston being delisted at the Crows has got my attention, thought he would be a very handy addition as he has got plenty of potential and looks a likely type. Can kick goals when given a chance.

Ahmed Saad we know can kick goals and is a very straight kick who could slot nicely into our forward pocket, he will be given another chance.

Brent Renouf or Orren Stephenson as a handy back up Ruck???

Anyone else we may look at as a late pick, delisted free agent or rookie pick??

I tend to look more to the guys who have been previously listed by clubs. They clearly had something to merit being considered in the first place. For instance, I continue to wonder if Mitch Thorpe should be given another crack. Appears to have a new found maturity and given his coaching, could offer some much needed leadership.

Daniel Connors is another who was a bit of a head case but is he ready for another crack?

There was also a young indigenous kid who was on Richmonds list who went back to the WAFL and I recall reading something about him being ready to give AFL footy another crack.

Brett Eddy.

Finished this year as preliminary finalist South Adelaide's (and the SANFL's) leading goal kicker after the finals (67 goals from 21 games, at an average of a shade under 3.2 goals per match). Took 136 marks, at an average of just under 6.5 marks per game. Only just turned 24 a couple of months ago. At worst, he shores up the VFL team's forward line and helps ease the workload on Gault and Moore. At best, he becomes our equivalent of Podsiadly and slots in as a handy lead up foil for Cloke, which in turn releases Reid back to defence.

Brett Eddy.

Finished this year as preliminary finalist South Adelaide's (and the SANFL's) leading goal kicker after the finals (67 goals from 21 games, at an average of a shade under 3.2 goals per match). Took 136 marks, at an average of just under 6.5 marks per game. Only just turned 24 a couple of months ago. At worst, he shores up the VFL team's forward line and helps ease the workload on Gault and Moore. At best, he becomes our equivalent of Podsiadly and slots in as a handy lead up foil for Cloke, which in turn releases Reid back to defence.
s**t - for a moment I was thinking you said 'Brett Heady'

I was thinking of a similar thread so glad to see we have got one going. Was thinking we could do worse then look at Matthew Panos, seems like he has got height and has excelled in the midfield role he has played this year.

Also Lewis Johnston being delisted at the Crows has got my attention, thought he would be a very handy addition as he has got plenty of potential and looks a likely type. Can kick goals when given a chance.

Ahmed Saad we know can kick goals and is a very straight kick who could slot nicely into our forward pocket, he will be given another chance.

Brent Renouf or Orren Stephenson as a handy back up Ruck???

Anyone else we may look at as a late pick, delisted free agent or rookie pick??

Brent Renouf, he's only 26. Orren Stephenson is 32.

I'd also look at Angus Graham, he's only 27.

As seems to be the consensus, an insurance ruckman is probably something I'd like to see us address via a mature age rookie.

Otherwise, would prefer to focus on 19-21 year olds who missed being drafted but maybe have bloomed a little later, rather than someone who has spent multiple years on an AFL list elsewhere and never made it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As seems to be the consensus, an insurance ruckman is probably something I'd like to see us address via a mature age rookie.

Otherwise, would prefer to focus on 19-21 year olds who missed being drafted but maybe have bloomed a little later, rather than someone who has spent multiple years on an AFL list elsewhere and never made it.

What if those guys on an AFL list that haven't made it perform better at VFL level than the late bloomers?

Brett Eddy.

Previously spent time on Collingwood's VFL list too, so he'd be familiar with the environment.

Brent Renouf, he's only 26. Orren Stephenson is 32.

I'd also look at Angus Graham, he's only 27.

Renouf spent 8 seasons on AFL lists at two clubs, was injury-prone, and got delisted because he wasn't up to it. Graham spent 9 seasons on AFL lists at two clubs, was always soft as butter, and got delisted because he wasn't up to it (was never even good enough at SANFL level to warrant selection for the Crows senior side, despite the need for a back-up ruckman). Stephenson really showed very little as a back-up ruckman at AFL level, and is just too old for my liking. They're not on AFL lists anymore, because they're just not good enough.

Previously spent time on Collingwood's VFL list too, so he'd be familiar with the environment.

Renouf spent 8 seasons on AFL lists at two clubs, was injury-prone, and got delisted because he wasn't up to it. Graham spent 9 seasons on AFL lists at two clubs, was always soft as butter, and got delisted because he wasn't up to it. Stephenson really showed very little as a back-up ruckman at AFL level, and is just too old for my liking. They're not on AFL lists anymore, because they're just not good enough.

They will be back up not best 22.

They will be back up not best 22.

Yeah, and with each of them, at least two other clubs have deemed them not worthy of retaining as a back-up or third choice ruckman. When guys like Renouf and Graham don't even perform at SANFL level, there's no merit in listing them IMO, even as insurance.

Yeah, and with each of them, at least two other clubs have deemed them not worthy of retaining as a back-up or third choice ruckman. When guys like Renouf and Graham don't even perform at SANFL level, there's no merit in listing them IMO, even as insurance.

Well I'm not aware of how they play at SANFL but we need an experienced back up ruck. And Renouf is a premiership player.

Well I'm not aware of how they play at SANFL but we need an experienced back up ruck. And Renouf is a premiership player.

Trust me, Renouf and Graham have done nothing at SANFL level over the past couple of years. Would rather get a Sam Balderstone or Keegan Brooksby, who are actually the best ruckmen in the best comp outside of the AFL.

Renouf was hardly carrying the ruck division to earn that premiership medal either. Played 35% gametime in that Grand Final, and averaged less than 50% gametime overall in the eight games he played for Hawthorn in 2008. Was very much a passenger, in the right place at the right time.

Trust me, Renouf and Graham have done nothing at SANFL level over the past couple of years. Would rather get a Sam Balderstone or Keegan Brooksby, who are actually the best ruckmen in the best comp outside of the AFL.

Renouf was hardly carrying the ruck division to earn that premiership medal either. Played 35% gametime in that Grand Final, and averaged less than 50% gametime overall in the eight games he played for Hawthorn in 2008. Was very much a passenger, in the right place at the right time.

Okay then, lets get one of Sam Balderstone or Keegan Brooksby, or even both as long as we get a back up ruckman I'm happy.

Okay then, lets get one of Sam Balderstone or Keegan Brooksby, or even both as long as we get a back up ruckman I'm happy.

I get the need, I just think the untried guys I mentioned might just have some scope to be something more than "just a back-up" long-term. The guys you were mentioning have had their time and pretty much been proven to be duds.

But harsh calling Dwyer a list clogger. He's certainly not the best player in the team but he's done enough to show he has the qualities of an AFL player.

Led the team in goal assists in 2013, so he's got something to offer in that sense. Did alright given his inconsistent/limited game time this year too I thought.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back