List Mgmt. Mature Age Rookie Selections

Remove this Banner Ad

What if those guys on an AFL list that haven't made it perform better at VFL level than the late bloomers?

Well, I guess normally there will be a bit of an age gap (delisted AFL players likely to be more like 23-24+ than 20) so you'd factor that in.

But otherwise a valid point. If they've grown as players and are ready to seize a second chance, so be it. But ruckmen aside, would be against getting 25+ year olds as rookies to fill a perceived gap in the senior team.

I remember last year I was very keen on Chris Cain and we still might be Keen on Cain
I wanted him last year too, fingers crossed.

Dwyer is solid depth, definitely not best 22 nor a list clogger. Wouldn't really get a game elsewhere but when he is called upon he puts up decent performances and provides some leadership for our young group. Obviously if we were challenging for a flag he would be nowhere near our 22 and I can almost guarantee he'll be getting delisted/traded/moved on at the end of next season.

Agree - Dwyer is not a List Clogger. Martin was more a List Clogger
Yet there is a case to be made for Martin being superior to Dwyer. Dwyer may be a bit less damaging and less productive than Martin. He's more of a role player. I hope he's not best 22 moving forward or we aren't.... Moving forward.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Brett Eddy.

Finished this year as preliminary finalist South Adelaide's (and the SANFL's) leading goal kicker after the finals (67 goals from 21 games, at an average of a shade under 3.2 goals per match). Took 136 marks, at an average of just under 6.5 marks per game. Only just turned 24 a couple of months ago. At worst, he shores up the VFL team's forward line and helps ease the workload on Gault and Moore. At best, he becomes our equivalent of Podsiadly and slots in as a handy lead up foil for Cloke, which in turn releases Reid back to defence.

Disappointed he left the Pies, was making a name for himself prior to doing his knee. Not surprised he's done well.

Dwyer is solid depth, definitely not best 22 nor a list clogger. Wouldn't really get a game elsewhere but when he is called upon he puts up decent performances and provides some leadership for our young group. Obviously if we were challenging for a flag he would be nowhere near our 22 and I can almost guarantee he'll be getting delisted/traded/moved on at the end of next season.

If you're 28 and seen only as depth your a list clogger. Footy is a brutal business and Dwyer (like Simpkin at the Hawks) is a handy 30th man on the list type for a team in contention, but he adds nothing to a bottom 6-8 team so is therefore a list clogger at Collingwood.

If I'm going to the state leagues to recruit a player I'm taking someone to provide an immediate impact. That leaves either Eddie or Panos. Eddie releases a guy like Karnezis further afield and vice versa for Panos who allows us to keep guys like Karnezis and Elliott in the front half which is advantageous with their ability to win one on one's.

I'd be looking at getting a max of one mature aged/state league player. But it all depends on who we select in the Draft. I like Brett Eddy, but if we end up getting a Wright or McCartin with pick 5 then his selection is pointless and hinder their development.

Ideally we find a 20-21 year old guy floating around at the VFL level who can play immediately, yet still has some scope for improvement. like we did with Jack Frost.

For instance, I continue to wonder if Mitch Thorpe should be given another crack. Appears to have a new found maturity and given his coaching, could offer some much needed leadership.
Given that Thorp has quit Glenelg one year into a two year contract (after an injury ruined season in the SANFL) and headed back to Tasmania again, I don't think recruiters will be looking at him ever again.

I'd love to see Brett Eddy given a go. Very impressive for South Adelaide this year, whether he can step up to AFL level I'm not totally convinced, but I'm really hoping we pick him up.

Others delisted that could be handy.

Leroy Jetta. Yeh nah.

Derick Wanganeen. Yes. Would love to rookie him.

Burbury. Maybe.

Tommy Walsh.

Clint Jones. Only 30. Could do worse than have him as a tagger in the VFL magpies.

Dwyer was clear best 22 in 2013

Sammy Dwyer is an absolute champ, jumps out of VFL and in his debut season finishes second for score assists, in a team that was lacking polish going inside 50 his cleanness was very much welcome.

Couldn't get his body right this year, had an interrupted preseason and kept aggravating injuries, when fit he's a very handy player, we need more players with his class.

Love the way he goes about it, may not be best 22, but I wouldn't be ruling him out yet.

Trust me, Renouf and Graham have done nothing at SANFL level over the past couple of years. Would rather get a Sam Balderstone or Keegan Brooksby, who are actually the best ruckmen in the best comp outside of the AFL.

Renouf was hardly carrying the ruck division to earn that premiership medal either. Played 35% gametime in that Grand Final, and averaged less than 50% gametime overall in the eight games he played for Hawthorn in 2008. Was very much a passenger, in the right place at the right time.

Finally someone has pointed out that just because you play in a premiership, doesn't mean that you are instantly a star.

Mitch Brown from the Cats has just been delisted. Think we could do worse then pick up a former pick 15 who is still only 24 years of age

Remove this Banner Ad

Back