Mega Thread Trade and List Management discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Has great closing speed but needs to put on a touch more bulk still. He is still only 21 though and fairly stiff going by the geelong board that he wasn't given another year. Worth a shot. Had a reasonably good VFL season too.

Is he better up forward or in defence?

EFA

I blame their CEO, Dave Matthews. I wonder if that no-necked clown was sent to his room by the AFL for his moronic comments throughout the week.

You could practically see McLachlan frantically pulling the strings from a platform suspended above when that ball of sludge referred to our traitorous former skipper as 'Bryan' Griffen.
brian.jpg

Is he better up forward or in defence?

Would start him in defence. His closing speed is considered elite (2.90 at the combine) and his leap and spoiling are really good. Could be a very handy 2nd or 3rd tall defender. Hypothetically if we were to get him I'd be pretty tempted to give him first crack at like a Darling or Kennedy both of who get most of their goals from leading and not contested marking as such. We need a defender with closing speed and lock down potential. He has it.

He was always going to take longer to get towards a debut because of his size and a fair number of Geelong fans are disappointed he got let go. I'd prefer him to brown to be honest as a defender. He is most certainly not the type who should be given Hawkins/Cloke etc for many many years but say a run and jump forward like Carlisle/Liam Jones I certainly wouldn't be against giving him an opportunity as all of Roughead, Roberts and Talia aren't exactly quick.

Last edited:
Would start him in defence. His closing speed is considered elite (2.90 at the combine) and his leap and spoiling are really good. Could be a very handy 2nd or 3rd tall defender. Hypothetically if we were to get him I'd be pretty tempted to give him first crack at like a Darling or Kennedy both of who get most of their goals from leading and not contested marking as such. We need a defender with closing speed and lock down potential. He has it.

He was always going to take longer to get towards a debut because of his size and a fair number of Geelong fans are disappointed he got let go. I'd prefer him to brown to be honest as a defender.

Sounds good. Would help create a bit of competition between Roberts, Talia and Cordy as well.

Enright doesn't play tall and irrespective of when Lonergan and Rivers retire, Hamling wasn't able to get a shot behind what I think was the best tall defensive setup in the game (2013 - 2014). I think he is worth a shot particularly if we believe O.McDonald might not fall to us at pick 26. He is almost more of a shutdown defender rather than a rebounder and has good speed and leap. He is a perfect type for what we can use as a very low risk option. Good backup option who could develop into a best 22 player. Only 21 too.

But I think more suited to a rookie spot more than a senior list spot.
We have Talia and Robert both similar types to Hamling and you would suggest be looking at a tall back at pick 26 (BTW MCDonald not rated inside top 50 amongst 3 different recruiters I have spoken to).

So Id have no arguments with him filling up a spot on the rookie list of which we will have four spots.

I'd be happy to either rookie Hamling or rookie Pearce and get Hamling as a DFA. Like the sound of a very athletic shutdown defender, 2.90 is elite. I know he's not much of a rebounder but does he at least have decent skills? Doesn't have to be fantastic but has to at least be solid enough when required IMO.

Would allow us to send Roberts to CHF, long term it would leave Roughy to take the tallest fwd/ruck types, Talia on the main forward, Hamling on the athletic forward and Cordy playing on the mediums or talls/smalls when needed, heaps of flexibility there.

Should be focusing wood on shutting down smalls IMO. Athletic enough to go with the smallest crumbing types (who he can try to physically impose himself on) but strong enough to go with the Chappy types. Still needs to learn to balance offence with defence which is why I think he was dropped, big year coming up for him.

I'd be happy to either rookie Hamling or rookie Pearce and get Hamling as a DFA. Like the sound of a very athletic shutdown defender, 2.90 is elite. I know he's not much of a rebounder but does he at least have decent skills? Doesn't have to be fantastic but has to at least be solid enough when required IMO.

Would allow us to send Roberts to CHF, long term it would leave Roughy to take the tallest fwd/ruck types, Talia on the main forward, Hamling on the athletic forward and Cordy playing on the mediums or talls/smalls when needed, heaps of flexibility there.

Should be focusing wood on shutting down smalls IMO. Athletic enough to go with the smallest crumbing types (who he can try to physically impose himself on) but strong enough to go with the Chappy types. Still needs to learn to balance offence with defence which is why I think he was dropped, big year coming up for him.
I like wood on the crameri/stringer types, but agree entirely that he can take smalls as well. I really rate the kid.

He was always going to take longer to get towards a debut because of his size and a fair number of Geelong fans are disappointed he got let go. I'd prefer him to brown to be honest as a defender. He is most certainly not the type who should be given Hawkins/Cloke etc for many many years but say a run and jump forward like Carlisle/Liam Jones I certainly wouldn't be against giving him an opportunity as all of Roughead, Roberts and Talia aren't exactly quick.

From the video his decision making is appalling.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I like wood on the crameri/stringer types, but agree entirely that he can take smalls as well. I really rate the kid.
Yeah I like him on those types as well, but I really like Cordy taking them in time releasing Wood to take smalls because after Picken we're pretty light on for small backs. Guess it depends on who we're playing for who he matches up on, love the flexibility he brings. With that backline I posted up there I'd like Roughy to follow his opponent into the ruck, Cordy can take a tall if needed and Wood can move to the 3rd tall types. Allows us a bit more run and a shorter backline for a bit, also let's is get away without using a 2nd ruck in the forward line which would be really good for us.

No pressure, trade him in and play him on Kennedy Round 1...then he really can replace Austin...as our next whipping boy :p

No pressure, trade him in and play him on Kennedy Round 1...then he really can replace Austin...as our next whipping boy :p

Imagine if he kept him goalless. Would be the next Scarlett by round 2. Such has been the pain Kennedy has caused us of late.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Joel Hamling 194 cm 88 kg
Mark Austin 195 cm 96 kg
Hamling gives Austin 8 kg
Wonder what Austin gives Hamling in terms of general football ability?

TBH, Hamling's highlight reel a couple of pages ago didn't fill me with a lot of confidence. In the Box Hill game looked all at sea with some good VFL forwards down there. Got lost in traffic and couldn't seem to find his man a couple of times when the ball was bombed in.

Saw he was tried in their forward line. Yikes...

Not even a back up for Wood.

TBH, Hamling's highlight reel a couple of pages ago didn't fill me with a lot of confidence. In the Box Hill game looked all at sea with some good VFL forwards down there. Got lost in traffic and couldn't seem to find his man a couple of times when the ball was bombed in.

Saw he was tried in their forward line. Yikes...

Not even a back up for Wood.

Uh oh, another 'project (no footballing talent, but we want to give the coaches a challenge)' player?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back