Mega Thread Delist/Trade/Draft Supermegaultrathread - Who will we draft? edition

Pick 11 - Who will it be

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
If available De Goey will be picked the exact type of player the Eagles need. Hard at it inside and outside player big body great skills and game sense. Reminds me of a young Jordan Lewis type. Only needs to find more of the footy which can be coached into him and is a limited risk compared to Cockatoo.

I really don't see the beams comparison. Beams is a lot bigger and a lot more contested.
He's also older. I envisage Weller bulking up a bit and becoming a very effective inside-outside midfielder.

We'll come back to this in around 6 years!

I really don't see the beams comparison. Beams is a lot bigger and a lot more contested.
You'd have to watch Beams' junior vids for QLD. There's a similarity in the way they handball out of traffic and weave around/through. Weller's kicking is on another level though, which Beams tended to take the tackle and give off a bit more...

Really though, we are quite starved for footage on a lot of these prospects.

If available De Goey will be picked the exact type of player the Eagles need. Hard at it inside and outside player big body great skills and game sense. Reminds me of a young Jordan Lewis type. Only needs to find more of the footy which can be coached into him and is a limited risk compared to Cockatoo.

Serious question for the knowledgeable types....Is the bolded statement that simple? Can players be coached into being ball magnets if it's a bit foreign to them when they're drafted?

I have heard that Cockatoo wants to be in Perth and the Eastern clubs have been told if he is drafted by them it will just be a one year deal.
WCE have been talking to his family and look like the frontrunners to get him.

This is all about rumours, may happen, could happens, who knows but this is what I was told by someone with pretty close links to the club.
Be interesting if anyone else has heard anything similar.

I have heard that Cockatoo wants to be in Perth and the Eastern clubs have been told if he is drafted by them it will just be a one year deal.

This is all about rumours, may happen, could happens, who knows but this is what I was told by someone with pretty close links to the club.
If that's the way the drafting process is heading then what's the point of even having a draft. Just let players talk to the clubs they want to go to

I thought first year players got mandatory 2 year contracts?

The trade period hurt us. Melbourne getting a 1st round compo pick for frawley pushed us down 1 spot, then Carlton and the Bulldogs who were both in need of KPPs traded out of the top 10 to GWS who don't have the same need for talls. To cap it off adelaide who would also have likely gone tall traded to Geelong who might also be looking at a mid

Means that mids are coming into top 10 consideration that weren't there earlier and the previously highly regarded talls are sliding which given our need for a quality midfielder sucks for us

That was a joke. Frawley is not worth a first round pick. Stupid AFL categories. End of first round at highest he should have been

Serious question for the knowledgeable types....Is the bolded statement that simple? Can players be coached into being ball magnets if it's a bit foreign to them when they're drafted?

I would have thought a ball magnet is born a ball magnet. Not something that you can really teach unlike strength, tackling, kicking accuracy, hardness at the ball etc.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Given the way he spoke about North, I highly doubt he has said anything along those lines.
“It already feels like I’ve been drafted to an AFL team, I love it. It’s been a really good week,” Cockatoo told NMFC.com.au.

“If I did (get drafted) I would love to come back here, knowing the boys already, it would be pretty easy to fit right in. I would miss home, but not as much if I came back to North Melbourne because everyone has already made me feel welcome.”

Cockatoo found exactly what is required of a professional footballer, living with Shaun Atley and Jamie Macmillan.

“They’ve been looking after me this week and I’ve really enjoyed staying with them. They told me to always be on time. I also learned that hard work and professionalism is everything.”
He has more connection to Adelaide than Perth I'm pretty sure, and I doubt that we'd induce a draftee to say anything like that.

Re: the Weller/Beams comparison - I don't really see it.
From memory Beams had a good inside game pre-draft, and it was Collingwood's lack of inside grunt that made him attractive to them, to the point that selecting him was just a formality. I might be mistaken though - snow and double digit negative temperatures do weird things to me.
Weller doesn't seem to have much in the way of a inside ability or suitability, right now at least. Not sure he would have much opportunity to learn either, given the logjam we have in the middle.
I'd take him over Ahern and possibly Duggan, but I'm still riding that Cockatoo train all the way to the mirror and seed bell.

Yep, he told GWS(?) he'd leave as soon as his inital contract was up, if he was to be picked by them and not end up at Port. How this isn't draft tampering is anyones guess.

GWS should have just drafted him and tried to win him over instead of caving in his threat .Instead of letting players dictate if they want to be there or not which will create a monster if every top 10 player uses this tactic .

GWS should have just drafted him and tried to win him over instead of caving in his threat .Instead of letting players dictate if they want to be there or not which will create a monster if every top 10 player uses this tactic .
Petracca said he doesnt want to play for anyone but Collingwood. St Kilda taking a risk but they cant cave in to his threat.

BECAUSE HE HASN'T MISSED 16 MONTHS IN THE LAST 2 YEARS TO INJURY AND PLAYED A LOT MORE THAN 1 GAME IN THAT TIME.

SMH.

Sorry to sound like a broken record here, but I'm going to have to ask the question again; how does that make him a better player? Caps-lock or not, playing more games doesn't make you better. It might make you better prepared, fitter, more experienced (what ever that's worth at this age), and it certainly makes you a more trustworthy and less risky selection, but by no definition better.

Last edited:
With the news of Langford potentially going at five I reckon we'll have the choice of Lever, De Goey, Cockatoo and Weller at our selection. Here's how:

#1 STK - Christian Petracca
#2 MELB - Angus Brayshaw
#3 MELB - Pat McCartin
#4 GWS - Jarrod Pickett
#5 COLL - Kyle Langford
#6 GWS - Jayden Laverde
#7 GWS - Hugh Goddard
#8 GCS - Liam Duggan
#9 COLL - Darcy Moore
#10 GEEL - Peter Wright

So who would you choose? That's a pretty good four to select from. I suppose De Goey could go at 8 or 10, as could Lever, but that would make Duggan available. I reckon Weller will go at 12 personally.

I've been on the Cockatoo bandwagon all along (selected him in the mock draft too before he got so popular), but if Lever is still there ..... it's a tough decision - I think both players have the potential to become elite, and then Lever's leadership qualities might push him in front - IMHO.

Pelchen thinks Garlett would suit us...

@Wakey1995 West Coast will likely go with a good user of the ball. Garlett would suit but more likely he'll go between 13 and 18.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back