Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 30, 2008
Western Victoria
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Chelsea
No surprises here;

Michael Clarke (c) (NSW*), Brad Haddin (vc) (NSW), Ryan Harris (QLD), Josh Hazlewood (NSW), Mitchell Johnson (WA), Nathan Lyon (NSW), Mitchell Marsh (WA), Chris Rogers (VIC), Peter Siddle (VIC), Steve Smith (NSW), David Warner (NSW), Shane Watson (NSW). *Notes subject to fitness

The fact that they have named Clarke tells you a few things, primarily that the next batsman in is not clear and they will want the next round of Shield games to hopefully make the picture clearer.

Ferguson would be the front runner for Clarkes spot if he doesn't come up but the fact they didn't put him in the squad means there is still time to impress for other batsmen. I honestly don't think Watson is worth playing just as a batsman, and with Marsh in he won't bowl a lot. I think they are just desperate to get an experienced head in at 3.

I think they are just desperate to get an experienced head in at 3.
As much as I would be love to move Watson on from the test team, I would keep him in at the moment given the fitness concerns of Clarke, Haddin and the possibility Hazlewood may replace Siddle.

Squad as expected really, which is not necessarily a bad thing.

No surprises here;

Michael Clarke (c) (NSW*), Brad Haddin (vc) (NSW), Ryan Harris (QLD), Josh Hazlewood (NSW), Mitchell Johnson (WA), Nathan Lyon (NSW), Mitchell Marsh (WA), Chris Rogers (VIC), Peter Siddle (VIC), Steve Smith (NSW), David Warner (NSW), Shane Watson (NSW). *Notes subject to fitness

Couple of interesting things in that squad.

Looks like both Watson and Marsh are going to play. Notwithstanding Watson's experience, and the fact that there aren't many Shield players banging down the door... two allrounders in the side seems like a weak batting lineup. Also, I assume Watson will bat 3. Which, IMHO, is a shame. Smith is arguably our most in form batsman at the moment, and has expressed an interest in batting 3. I think the gig should go to him.

Of the fast bowlers, you'd expect Johnson and Harris are the automatic selections. IMHO, Siddle is lucky to be in the squad with his recent form. But he picked up wickets in the recent Shield match, so that probably saved him. I think it's unlikely the selectors would retain him in the squad and NOT pick him for the Test. So I suspect Hazlewood will be the unlucky one.

Lyon is lucky to be there. I'm a fan of the guy, but his form hasn't been great. I suppose, conceivably, they could play four quicks... so Lyon's position isn't completely assured. But I think that is unlikely.

The fact that they have named Clarke tells you a few things, primarily that the next batsman in is not clear and they will want the next round of Shield games to hopefully make the picture clearer.

It basically confirms what we all knew... that the squad was being selected way too early. If the selectors had a clear idea of Clarke's possible replacement, they would have named him in the squad as cover. Cricket Australia is a complete sham -- when is this idiotic Sutherland going to get the arse?

Smith batting at 3 would be a good test of his biggest weakness which is playing outswing. He's batting well but with his technique you can't see him ever being a good number 3. Leave him at 5 and protect him from the new ball.

The fact both Marsh & Watson are playing means they wont go in with 4 quicks + Watson & Marsh. Lyon will definitely play.

My thoughts on the 3 quicks are Johnson, Hazlewood & Siddle and Harris gains more fitness but plays in 2nd test. If they do go with Harris (risky) then Siddle misses out (cant ignore got dropped then came back for Pakistan tests and bowled ok but didnt get wickets)

Im not a big fan of Watson but he is the perfect no.3 at present. No-one else is tearing it up in shield cricket so an experience head like him is perfect for this side.

It basically confirms what we all knew... that the squad was being selected way too early. If the selectors had a clear idea of Clarke's possible replacement, they would have named him in the squad as cover. Cricket Australia is a complete sham -- when is this idiotic Sutherland going to get the arse?

He has the job in perpetuity, no longer a contract situation.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't really like Hughes at all, but I think he deserved a chance in this team, especially ahead of Shane Watson IMO

Hope Siddle doesn't play as well. Too slow, and not enough form

Siddle is a lock. Anyone suggesting otherwise is kidding themselves.
Watching fox sport news right now.

Rod Marsh: "Siddle's in good form, he must've bowled very well down here in Adelaide, in both innings not only in the second innings when he got his haul"

He was selector on duty in the UAE....

Marsh:

"Siddle bowled very well in the UAE as well, his figures didn't indicate that, but then again nor did Mitch Johnson's figures indicate just how well he bowled. I thought both of them bowled very very well in trying conditions".

He'll be there, that's for sure.

No real shocks withthe squad, I would be a little surprised if Harris plays in the first test, think they would want a few more overs in the tank. But by the end of the summer will be back in the 11.

Hope Siddle doesn't play as well. Too slow, and not enough form
So ripping through the whole SA top order and getting Hughes cheaply in each innings is poor form? Siddle is a lock, especially as he likes the ball first change rather than having to be a new ball bowler.

If Harris gets through the Shield match intact he will play. My take on the team (if all fit)

Warner
Rogers
Watson
Clarke
Smith
Marsh
Haddin
Johnson
Harris
Siddle
Lyon

Lyon will play, Gabba is actually his best hunting ground in Australia averaging 21.7

I don't really like Hughes at all, but I think he deserved a chance in this team, especially ahead of Shane Watson IMO
He still may play in the first test, pending Clarke's fitness.

My gut feel is that he won't play though, CA will go for a middle order batsman, Ferguson most likely.

No real shocks withthe squad, I would be a little surprised if Harris plays in the first test, think they would want a few more overs in the tank. But by the end of the summer will be back in the 11.
If Harris is remotely near fit he will plays, you don't start Group 1 neddys at the Provincials.

Hazlewood was sending down 135k deliveries yesterday, no quicker than Siddle

Hazlewood has good bounce... you can get away with going at 135kpmh when you are getting good bounce.

If we want pace - we'd go with Starc who seems to be bowling with genuine heat at the moment.

Picking someone on the basis of their speed is stupid. But that doesn't mean that speed can't be some consideration. I've defended Siddle in the past, and in particular, his drop in speed. I've felt he's generally bowled within himself... content to play a support role to Harris and Johnson. He's been doing the workhorse stuff, and sticking to keeping it accurate and tight. But that only gets you so far. He needs to show that he can step it up a gear when necessary.

There's some pretty good pace bowlers rolling around the country. It's not like our dearth of batsmen. We can afford to be demanding on the ones that make the Test team.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back