Sheffield Shield Round 4: NSW v SA @ SCG

Remove this Banner Ad

NSW (6th 10.05 points) v SA (3rd 10.70 points)

NSW

Warner
Watson
Henry
Maddinson
Nevill
Haddin (c) (+)
Abbott
O'Keefe
Starc
Lyon
Bollinger
Sandhu (12th)

In: Haddin, Starc, Warner, Watson
Out: Carters (CA XI), Larkin (dropped), Patterson (dropped), Sandhu (12th man)

Smith originally named has been replaced by Henry.

SA
Hughes
Cosgrove
Ferguson
Cooper
Head
Ludeman (+)
Botha (c)
Mennie
Zampa
Sayers
Worrall
Lawford (12th)

In: Worrall
Out: Putland

Kane Richardson a late withdrawal after injuring himself training with the Australian ODI team.

SA won toss and are batting first.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sound serious, was he wearing a helmet? (I assume he was but just asking)
I have a bit of a theory with helmets, that 99% of the time (or even more than that probably) they lessen the damage, but on rare occasions you get one where the helmet adds to the impact by pushing metal or other parts into the skull. obviously on the balance you are much better of.

I have played a game where a guy got hit in the helmet and the metal grill snapped off into his cheek and cut it to shreds. needed several stitches.

That may or may not be the case with Hughes as I haven't since it, and it's not really possibly to know anyway.

I have a bit of a theory with helmets, that 99% of the time (or even more than that probably) they lessen the damage, but on rare occasions you get one where the helmet adds to the impact by pushing metal or other parts into the skull. obviously on the balance you are much better of.

I have played a game where a guy got hit in the helmet and the metal grill snapped off into his cheek and cut it to shreds. needed several stitches.

That may or may not be the case with Hughes as I haven't since it, and it's not really possibly to know anyway.
It's like Vickery's hit on Cox. It wasn't as hard as many we've seen. But with the head, you just need to get the right spot in the right way and there's serious issues.

No doubt the same with helmets as you said.

Hit in the head by an Abbott bouncer. Went straight down and didn't move. Being stretchered off now on the medical vehicle

Edit: They've taken tea 30 minutes early as a result
s**t. That's horrible. Hope he is alright and it doesn't affect the way he bats in the future.

Poor Phil. :(

Remove this Banner Ad

Back