Shield NSW v Tasmania, SCG, Feb 11-14

Remove this Banner Ad

NSW has won the toss and batted. Currently 1-133, with Nikitaris the only wicket to fall to a blinder of a catch by Silk.

NSW: Daniel Hughes, Blake Nikitaras, Kurtis Patterson (c), Moises Henriques, Jason Sangha, Matthew Gilkes (wk), Sean Abbott, Chris Green, Chris Tremain, Adam Zampa, Liam Hatcher
TAS: Tim Ward, Caleb Jewell, Charlie Wakim, Ben McDermott, Jordan Silk (c), Tim Paine (wk), Beau Webster, Jarrod Freeman, Tom Andrews, Nathan Ellis, Peter Siddle

Match referee is Dave Gilbert, who played for both these states.

Chris Green might put his name up for Aus selection soon if he doesn't get banned for a suspect action again

I said when he debuted he was a Smokey for India. Didn’t quite have enough opportunity to put his name up there but he’s the type of bowler who’d do surprisingly well there.

I am finding it very difficult to keep supporting my home state when our useless selectors continue to pick the same X1 that has seen us yet to win a match this season and with us now firming as wooden spooners.

A fabulous big century by the old stager Dan Hughes and just when we say he is past it at this level while Jason Sangha is looking good on 54* at lunch as the Blues build a substantial total. I believe Sangha has a big future once he works out a way to keep out the peaches he so often seems to get out to. He rarely loses his wicket due to poor execution. He is competent against pace and spin, bowls a decent leggie and is a fine fielder. That is the reason I have always backed him while others have written him off.
I thought you were talking about Tassie there for a minute, until I got to the bit about not winning a match. It seems with our Shield team players often get a free ride no wonder how average your form may be (see McDermott - 161 runs @ 17 in 7 matches this season, leading into this match).

Webster not much different, 234 runs at 26, although he does add to the team with his versatile bowling and exceptional slips catching.

And now they have both scored 50s to maintain their position until further notice. :)

Typical Dan Hughes. About to be dropped and makes a big ton to survive the axe
You can always rely on Tassie to get opposition players back into form. :)

Zamps had his revenge getting him with a beauty. Ellis showing he is no mug with a bat.

Blues with the best part of a 200 lead. We should finally open our season account. Horrible deck, typical SCG spinning track. Looks ugly, plays ugly. Like those Indian dust bowls.
So you support Tassie?
Ellis was all at sea against Zampa, it was only a matter of time.

Yep, Tassie supporter since we came into the Shield in 77-78.

Odd decision making from Patterson. First off, if you're only resting the bowlers for 25 overs, why not enforce the follow on? Second, if you're going to bat again surely you want at least a 300 run lead?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If Tassie chase this down it'll be one of the least deserving FC wins I've seen.
Extremely unlikely, but I will be thrilled to be proven wrong.

Sydney can eat me. Was really well set up today, and I had the whole day free to watch it.

If they suspected rain on the final day, why didn't NSW enforce the follow on with a 181 run lead?
Because the Blues brains trust are nongs. I questioned that at the time as showers were forecast for the final day after overnite storms swept thru Sydney.

Because the Blues brains trust are nongs. I questioned that at the time as showers were forecast for the final day after overnite storms swept thru Sydney.

It's been a belief of mine for some time that Sheffield Shield captains in general aren't attacking nor imaginative enough for 4 day cricket. Too many of them sit back hoping the opposition will make a game of it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back