Shield Round 8: Tasmania vs Victoria, Bellerive Oval, 1-4 March

Remove this Banner Ad

Surely the game is tough enough already when you only have 10 wickets in an innings without the umpires making two absolute shockers in one session this morning.

I think we've got more than enough runs on the board here. Obviously you're not going to declare with 2 and a half days left, but I feel like we're just petering along here eeking out whatever runs we can, and we'll declare about an hour after tea if we're still going (which is unlikely).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In Sheffield Shield this season, Webster has 3 centuries and 5 fifties, currently averaging 65. Pity they don't select Test teams from Sheffield Shield any more.

And a Funky Miller with the ball.

This is a cracking knock given most with tail. Well done Meredith too.

Looking at that field they had set to Meredith with 5 balls to bowl at him, this might be the most obvious example of bowling for a declaration I've ever seen. We're 9 down FFS!

By my reckoning, this is an all-time record for a 10th wicket partnership for Tasmania in first-class cricket.

Previous record was:
122 - William Ward & Norman Dodds - vs Victoria, TCA Ground, 1898/99
Taking the score from 9/262 to 384 all out.

Previous Sheffield Shield record was:
120 - Stuart Saunders & Peter Clough - vs Western Australia, WACA, 1981/82
Taking the score from 9/159 to 279 all out.

Riley Meredith has also exceeded his previous best first-class score of 24.

Once again the tactic of spreading the field to the batter and trying to get 1-2 balls an over at the bowler is a dismal failure. If you can hold up an end like Meredith did for the first 90 minutes of his innings, all you're doing is giving Webster massive gaps to hit through (or over.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back